Made in America????

JackM wrote:
And some of us remain Jacks of All Trades.

LOL so funny, but so very untrue!

You are very far from a Jack of all Trades ..... Jack? I'll bet that you never changed the oil in your car, or ever did anything to fix your house? You make big bucks, so you call someone to do things for you (while they rip you off and laugh at you).

You spent a lot of money on your education..... so you know how to sue the rich people? This is one of the reasons America is going downhill fast, but you pretend to be a lefty liberal!

"Two riders were approaching, and the wind begins to howl"

@ slumdumb - I am glad that someone else finally realized this! There is another sponsor on this site that did the same thing. I don't have a problem with buying these things in bulk overseas, but don't try to trick customers into thinking that it's a design that you came up with and manufactured. A quick browse through alibaba's site and you can see a lot of familiar looking supplies that are sold by several different vendors online.

peen9305 wrote:
@ slumdumb - I am glad that someone else finally realized this! There is another sponsor on this site that did the same thing. I don't have a problem with buying these things in bulk overseas, but don't try to trick customers into thinking that it's a design that you came up with and manufactured. A quick browse through alibaba's site and you can see a lot of familiar looking supplies that are sold by several different vendors online.

Where did they say that they came up with the design?

Geez, 1Wt, Jack and I have often been on opposite sides of an issue and have not always been congenial. But, your attack on him is much harsher than anything I ever said to him, suggesting that he is a part of a major cause of America's decline. Even I must say that you went way over the line on this one.
(Hey, Jack, can you believe that I actually wrote this? :))

@bradfrompotter

"Our designs and mechanics"
"We didn't skimp on anything here"
"We designed the spool......."

Those are straight from their website - leads the consumer to believe that they designed and manufactured them.

There is nothing wrong with buying these reels in bulk from that part of the globe - they are a great value for a machined aluminum reel. I just don't agree with leading paying customers to believe something that isn't the truth.

rrt wrote:
Geez, 1Wt, Jack and I have often been on opposite sides of an issue, your attack on him is much harsher than anything I ever said to him,

Jack refuses to open my "un embeded" music vids, so I'm forced to use "Tough Love" on him!

peen9305 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with buying these reels in bulk from that part of the globe - they are a great value for a machined aluminum reel. I just don't agree with leading paying customers to believe something that isn't the truth.

I didn't make the comments that I did earlier and not expect to receive push back. I've always been open to people questioning the origin of my products and will continue to do so. I have been in contact with American machinists and designers to eventually make some of the products, specifically 1 series of reels, made here in the US, but it'll take some time to build the brand up enough to make that affordable within the constraints of my overhead costs and still return a quality product at a reasonable price.

I see the issue with the wording on the website and will actually make a few changes to make it not misleading. Sorry if that detered anyone from checking out the site. Thanks for the input!

@ryguyfi - I was not trying to knock your company or start a pissing match like so often happens on this site. I was merely pointing something out that is misleading. I'm sure it hasn't deterred anyone because even though they are coming from overseas they are still a great value. I know the costs of R&D and manufacturing are through the roof when it comes to products made in the USA - and for a small business trying to build a foundation those costs can be unreasonable (unless you are trust fund baby or something). I don't think its a bad thing what you are doing (there are plenty of other shops out there buying bulk supplies overseas and selling them here). If I were starting a business I would be forced to do the same thing. I just think that some people out there are mislead by some of the wording. Like I said I wasn't throwing stones just making a point.

I was mislead at first by this as well, but Ryan did come up front and told me his reels were made over seas, as soon as I proposed questions about the origins of his reels.

I think they are pretty good quality as well, and if I had the money to invest, would pick that same reel as well to distribute. I think they are priced below what they are actually should be as well.

Even with my tying business I purchase through hair line, but i would bet my house not all of their materials come from the USA. Yes I am tying flies made in america but with materials from overseas. the cycle will repeat itself over and over.

I see where I get slammed on sales when places online that can sell flies for 50 cents a piece. I could never compete with 500 indonesian ladies in a sweat shop. But a benifit is this competition forces me to come up with new or inovative patterns that people can't get anywhere else.

I think this is actually a benifit because tyers like myself or others on this site and in the USA must do this to compete. This spawns effective new paterns that everyone can benifit from. Stinks for me, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

There are a lot of guys that just want to buy American. I find myself to be this way to a certain extent, and appreciate every sale I get for standard flies, knowing that the guy can go online and get 2 for the price of one of my flies.

If I took offense to every written word on the internet then I'd probably have jumped off a bridge years ago. No offense taken from your comments.

Yes my products are made overseas, but they do have quality made products and do compare to some of the big manufactueres out there. I don't have solid proof yet, but I'm pretty sure that a couple big names in the industry have their products made from the same manufactuerer that I do. So, hence the business model. Cut out the massive advertising budget, the name brand and now you have a pretty high quality product at a price that most everyone can afford. It isn't touted to be the next Abel, or whatever company you want to throw out there, but if it develops as far as I imagine, then who knows where it goes. Maybe Risen Fly is the next standard in American made products in 10 years.

Well, Mike, you are an American tier, so I hope that your flies are good ones and sell well for you.
Don't know what Risen Fly is -- a fly shop? -- but I hope you do well, too, and that you consider American-made products when you find ones that can compete with the foreign products, esp if the American products' quality is as good as the foreign ones.

@ryguyfi - It may not mean much by I appreciate you handling the conversation with class like an adult. I was really expecting someone to lash out at me (it just seems like the truth pisses a lot of people off if it isn't what they want to hear). I wish you and your company the best of luck!

mike_richardson wrote:
I was mislead at first by this as well, but Ryan did come up front and told me his reels were made over seas, as soon as I proposed questions about the origins of his reels.

I think they are pretty good quality as well, and if I had the money to invest, would pick that same reel as well to distribute. I think they are priced below what they are actually should be as well.

Even with my tying business I purchase through hair line, but i would bet my house not all of their materials come from the USA. Yes I am tying flies made in america but with materials from overseas. the cycle will repeat itself over and over.

I see where I get slammed on sales when places online that can sell flies for 50 cents a piece. I could never compete with 500 indonesian ladies in a sweat shop. But a benifit is this competition forces me to come up with new or inovative patterns that people can't get anywhere else.

I think this is actually a benifit because tyers like myself or others on this site and in the USA must do this to compete. This spawns effective new paterns that everyone can benifit from. Stinks for me, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

There are a lot of guys that just want to buy American. I find myself to be this way to a certain extent, and appreciate every sale I get for standard flies, knowing that the guy can go online and get 2 for the price of one of my flies.

If one is so disposed to be a great American fly retailer, one should learn to write properly. Most people who have been on the internet for a few hours understand what the red squiggly line under their misspellings and grammar means. Really, try a little harder.

ryguyfi wrote:
If I took offense to every written word on the internet then I'd probably have jumped off a bridge years ago. No offense taken from your comments.

Yes my products are made overseas, but they do have quality made products and do compare to some of the big manufactueres out there. I don't have solid proof yet, but I'm pretty sure that a couple big names in the industry have their products made from the same manufactuerer that I do. So, hence the business model. Cut out the massive advertising budget, the name brand and now you have a pretty high quality product at a price that most everyone can afford. It isn't touted to be the next Abel, or whatever company you want to throw out there, but if it develops as far as I imagine, then who knows where it goes. Maybe Risen Fly is the next standard in American made products in 10 years.

Frankly I find your product to be completely undifferentiated from Allen or any other company offered up of aforesaid Chinese grid. Next week I can put an order in for 100 reels and logo (insert your dream here) all over them. Having said that, I for one appreciate the fact that you backed off the "I designed and spec'd and QC" everything and boil it down to what it is. Chinese shops will, without moral, take anything and produce it to the lowest bidder. This is not to discount the quality of the product, rather it is to quantify the value of the product.

I never said that I was a great American fly retailer, nor did I know that when responding to a forum post I should have to worry about some one checking my grammar.

That was a really great comment, and I am glad that is all you took from this thread.

mike_richardson wrote:
I never said that I was a great American fly retailer, nor did I know that when responding to a forum post I should have to worry about some one checking my grammar.

That was a really great comment, and I am glad that is all you took from this thread.

first you have HERP
then you have DERP

I would suggest that any comments I have made on this thread are well beyond what you have suggested.

Rebuttal?

Jdaddy...agreed

Whatever Herp is I am not so sure I would want to have that.

Back