Made in America????

4. Top end Orvis rods are great

I agree. I have a Helios, and it was made in the USA.

It's the lightest rod in the world. Has the best taper, best plastic, best cork, and best titanium flex guides. The rod is a pleasure to cast ..... and fight fish with.

Orvis is also the best company in the world! I purchased a Superfine 1wt (where I got my name) a few years ago...... and I broke it four times. Orvis never asked me a question, and replaced the rod every time. The forth time I sent them a couple bucks to upgrade to a Helios and never looked back!

Two weeks later, Orvis sent me my repaired 1wt at no charge. I sold it to someone (on another fly fishing forum) for more than my Helios upgrade!

I love Orvis! My Sonic seam waders were made in China (best waders available IMHO) but that's OK with me.

I'm only going to buy fly stuff direct from Orvis for the rest of my life! I love their web site and the catalogs they send me all the time.

Yeah Vedavoo is awesome products designed and made right here in the USA!! They stay true to their roots.

Nothing is 100 percent made in America. Open up your simms pack and enjoy the made in china tag on the inside. Orvis made in America? Try "Designed" in America, like there site say... Some components on every "USA" made rod comes straight from over seas. There is nothing wrong with using a product made over seas as they tend to take pride in there work if given detailed instruction and create tons of jobs here in America. Ill take pride in a USA made product when it does not cost $800 for a fly rod, turning scam percent profit margins on there customers. People need to realize America runs off of jobs created because of productivity over seas.

My Fenwick is made in the USA! So are most of my reels (old Medalist, Martins, Ocean Cities, but I do have a Korean-I think-made Medalist in the mix too).

I'll throw my hat in this ring as an owner of a company who has foreign made products offered to the public. The main reason I did so is cost. I can't afford to have these products right now made in the US and sell them at the price point I have them. The manufacturing of my products is top quality and I feel confident that they will compare to other companies products but at a much lower price. If I thought there was a drop off in quality up against the competition, then I wouldn't run the business that way.

One aspect I tell people is that I AM an American company. So yes you are supporting overseas manufacturing, but also supporting an American company in the process.

I know that American made products are important to some people and I do plan on having a few items made here in the states (wooden fly boxes coming soon), but when the mission statement of my company is to offer top quality products at reasonable products, that's impossible to fit a whole spectrum of products all made here in the states.

Thats a respectable statement Ryguy.

I am sure you had tested many reels before making your selection. I know I would. I would not be willing to make the committment and purchase a large quantity of reels and put my name on it. I have used your reels and have no complaints as of yet.

I am sure that if you could afford to have reels manufactured in the U.S. you would. The costs of labor in manufacutring is unreal.

Is there a truely "Made in America"? I think we will find that alot of parts to everything are made overseas and assembled here. The benefits of having foreign made items is that it keeps a ceiling on prices of items that are truely made here.
Some of you may not have been born yet, but I remember that
back in the 70's American made cars broke down to easily and thus opened the doors for foreign cars. Even to date I'm still hesitant to purchase an American made car. (P.S. alot of the parts to them are made overseas.)

I'm fairly sure that when something that is made overseas to our specs that if it comes in with defects it is sent back. And if this happens to many times we stop using that overseas manufacturer. However, I did say "fairly" because we all know that bribes, etc. do happen and I believe that is why we have recalls on lots of things.

I wasn't even thought of until 1987. And even then my mom was "fixed" so imagine how my dad felt. i perfer the term medical miracle but my siblings liked to use the term accident. lol

Mike.....Thanks for sharing however TMI my friend.

Is there a truely "Made in America"? I think we will find that alot of parts to everything are made overseas and assembled here.

And vice versa, and vice versa, and vice versa. There's not just parts and final assembly. There's parts which go into making those parts, and then there's parts which go into making THOSE parts. The first "part maker" in the chain calls what comes from his supplier "raw materials". Of course, that raw materials supplier calls the stuff going out "finished product", and they too have a "raw materials supplier".

I work for a steel company, which is a middle cog in this chain. That's all we are. We sell in America. We sell overseas. Sometimes we sell to overseas companies who will manufacture parts for American products. Sometimes we sell to American companies who will manufacture parts for foreign products.

For instance, lets say you're tracing the making of, say, a fuel injector. Each of the following could be completely different companies in different countries!

Mining --> purifying of ores --> steelmaker (melts (maybe several times) and pre-forges)--> forger/hot rolling --> heat treater --> rough machining company --> finish machinging company --> assembly of sub-part --> assembly of bigger sub-part --> assembly of part --> finally it goes to the automaker who puts it in a car.

During this, of course, each of those steps can be broken down into sub-steps. And that company may outsource one or several of those to yet more companies!

It's not at all unusual, before a final part is made, for it to have been through 20 different companies before the Ford's of the world finally put it into an automobile. The full automobile, with all parts, probably supports jobs in over 100 different countries. It's a global marketplace. "Made in America" has no real meaning. There sure are differences in how many American jobs you are supporting with different products. But it's quite common for "Made in Mexico" to supply as many or more American jobs as "Made in America". This is especially true of the larger, more complicated items like cars, airplanes, and such.

IMO, it's good to want to support American jobs, but focusing on the location of final assembly gets you nowhere towards your goal. If you really want to do this, you need to dig deeper, and that ain't real easy to do.

...and thus we've all been PCRAYED!!!

ryguyfi wrote:
...and thus we've all been PCRAYED!!!

Once again.

At least I can say that hanging out on PAFF - getting PCRAYED - has raised this idiot's IQ
:cool:

At least I can say that hanging out on PAFF - getting PCRAYED - has raised this idiot's IQ

One problem with the above path for products is over-specialization. There is no one person who has a full understanding.

Fishidiot, you commented at a jam once, as we were ogling someone's vehicle, that I must make a pretty good mechanic. Nope, I'm terrible. But good mechanics have a working knowledge of dang near everything on a car, and specific knowledge of absolutely nothing. Ask him how raising the hot working temperature while your forging steel that will become a fuel injector would affect it's properties. Or ask him how an extra part per million of sulfur in a 40k lb heat is going to affect magnetics, and thus performance. He'll look at you cross-eyed.

That's what I know. Of course, I'm not exactly an expert on how those property differences effect the engine, in performance or longevity. Someone else, at a different company, is an expert on that. And he too, knows ONLY that aspect of it. We've gotten so performance driven that making a simple part takes several dozen "experts", each to maximize a small portion of the manufacturing process.

The problem is that we're not allowed to communicate with each other. We just write specs, and expect the other guy to meet em. Our legal departments would have a heart attack if we disclosed where we've run into problems, or details of our process as it's deemed a trade secret. Maybe we could surpass that spec by a mile on strength, with only a tiny sacrifice in magnetic properties, and maybe the other guy would LOVE that. But we'll never know. I gotta meet what the spec says on magnetic properties, and that's not what he asked for. Nevermind that he didn't even know it was possible.

There's no one who has a very good understanding of what anyone else is doing. It's amazing we get anything done in this system.

And some of us remain Jacks of All Trades.

Most flies are tied overseas. But there are several fly shops in PA that carry a lot of US tied flies. Some examples are:

Flyfishers Paradise, Slate Run Tackle, Spruce Creek Fly Shop

There are also many individual tiers in PA who sell flies.

If you check around a little, you can buy about any pattern imaginable, tied in the US.

Yeah "Risen"
You aren't designing or manufacturing aything
You're a reseller of mass produced white labeled stuff
Anyone with a credit card can go on alibaba.com and do what you are doing

It is the exact opposite of an American company or a made in the USA product

At least a real Fly Fishing company that sells imported goods is employing and supports US workers in their own business, sales reps, dealer network, ect. Rather than 1 person making a margin on a mass produced product that all they do is have the factory stamp on a logo.

Gaines Poppers are made in the USA, and have been around for ages.

They are great for smallmouth bass and bluegills.

YEA, but the small mouth bass, blue gills etc. are made in china.

And that's not pcrayed 101 its pcrayed 1231 (higher form of education i guess) :roll: :roll:

Slumdumb - what do you consider a "real fly fishing company" name some "real fly fishing companies"

Evening Hatch has local tiers keep their stock full.

Back