Lehigh River Stocking Association Poker Tournament

NO. I think he said that he glided on the river. Possibly a kayak or some other watercraft may have been used.

Lol no I have guided on the Lehigh! So what?

Alpabuck wrote:
Lol no I have guided on the Lehigh! So what?

There is a lot going on in the Lehigh's watershed concerning trout fishery and water quality improvement efforts in general. I mean there is a bunch of interesting, useful information out there about ongoing improvements and data, etc. that really spells out the incredible potential for the growing trout fishery in the Lehigh. Rather than just telling a group what it should do it seems to be a greater opportunity to get more informed and involved for somebody making at least part of his living from this river.

I really cant see a time where the Lehigh will ever be anything more then what it is today. I'll continue to send money every year to the LRSA but it's not going to change anything! The biggest issue the river faces is thermal problems and it will never receive the enough cold water from FEW to make a huge impact. Look at the Temps right now http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=01447800

74 degrees at FEW! What is it in Bowmanstown or Walnutport? Even if you can get water from FEW it has to be released the right way. Go do some research on thermocline not only do you have a problem getting enough water. The valve system is broken and you if cant release the water from the right spots you still wont have cold water.

So unless we have some sort of mini ice good luck I wish you all the best of luck.

Alpabuck wrote:
LRSABecker wrote:

We are working on no kill/refuge areas on the Po and the Lehigh. Don't you remember when I dropped some knowledge on you? /quote]

You didnt tell me anything I didnt already know.....I hear alot of yapping but dont see any real change! To me It's starting to seem like the $50 a year I send you boyz would be better spent with the FUDR :-?

You did not know about anything we were doing because you started spouting off about things that we were not doing..example A

Instead of just buying fish, why dont you do something that will benefit the river? Like cleaning up amd, trash, or lobbying to have the flows adjusted? Your never gonna turn it into a "World Class" by just stocking?
and then I gave you this...

Gonna drop some knowledge on you. The LRSA is in the process of going for a grant so we can put a Alaskan fish ladder on the Pohopoco Dam at Parryville. We are also in the beginning process of doing a stream study of the Po to do a stream enhancements (Boulders, Breakers ect.) We are then also going to do the same to the Lehigh at the confluence and below. Also, we have water quality probes at each tributary from Allentown to Jim Thorpe that send us info daily wireless. We are currently working with the LCFA on drafting a letter to the PAFBC and the ACOE to revise the operations manual of Beltzville Dam. There are other things that we are doing for the river but I am drawing a blank right now. So as you can see we are not just a stocking organization. The LRSA's main priorities are stocking fish and we do not use any donations for any other use. We only use our members donations for fish because thats what they want. All other projects have to come from grants or specific donations from other organizations or deep pockets. So, if you would like to make a large donation for stream enhancements we will be happy to put it to that exact use. You could come to a meeting and learn about all this too.
Before Matt became president the club was only about stocking fish and maybe doing cleanup that no one ever seemed to show up for. Since Matt became president he has started us towards conservation and getting the LRSA grants to fund them. It takes time to make changes, it does not happen overnight. If you want to send your money to FEW go ahead it's your own right, but if anything we are becoming a better organization towards helping the river then before and there is no room for you even to argue otherwise.

sorry guys for the oddball post

sorry guys for the oddball post

HOLY COW...what the heck happened there?

ALPA - there is a lot going on with trying to get better releases, more water in FEW and a new stinking discharge tower. I think that is where Ryan is going.

Currently, the Corps is doing a study to determine how a higher pool (1392 feet - 12 billion gallons)) and a tower that has selective withdrawal capabilities (Like at Beltzville) will be able to improve flows for fisheries (more water in summer time) and how to keep it cold all summer long.

As you indicated, water temps get warm now for reasons I stated to Slight_Nymph in response to his above post. There is now way in HE11, if we get a higher lake level and a dam with selective withdrawal capabilities that we can't keep the first 10-15 miles of river cold from the releases from FEW. Then, the key is that the cold tribs in the Gorge will sustain trout friendly temps (less than 68F) for an extendend distance down river. I've already seen some of the preliminary data and it is very exciting. The Corps just needs to tweek some things in the model and it should show exactly what others are saying about how to improve this fishery.

No offense, but being that you guide on this river, I would think you should know about what is going on, as Ryan suggests. The Lehigh Coldwater Fishery Alliance is spearheading this movement and organizing many angling groups (like the LRSA & TU), anglers, outfitters/guides, local business's and government communties to back this effort. The more we have behind this effort, the greater potential to achieve this goal. WIll it happen over night, No way in he11. We have to stay the course and continue to work with the Government agencies and "fight" for this fishery.

Exactly where I was going. Much of what alpabuck says wont happen or that should be done IS HAPPENING at one stage or another. The early data from the cold-water study has to be exciting & promising for interested trout anglers. Tower improvements for better, longer use and storage of coldwater, better use of Beltzville, improved trout access to the Po are all actively being worked towards and are reachable. More angler involvement is needed though too.

I hope that one day you boys can serve me up a big cup of crow soup but I just dont see it happening. Have fun though!

JackM wrote:
RyanR wrote:
More angler involvement is needed though too.

$50 a year isn't enough?

I'm wasn't talking cash, I'm talking involvement such as advocacy and show of support for improved fisheries considerations at the FEW release public meetings. Another big thing needed is for anglers to contact people like Rep. Dent and let him know there is siginifcant interest from anglers and millions of dollars in sustatined economic benefit to be gained by local towns if a stronger coldwater fishery is developed on the Lehigh. (Since this ACOE controlled, changes require Congressional approval. Its not improbably to get these things done. After all, the coldwater study was funded & approved.)

If all you can afford to give is cash than that's fine, it is needed. But don't sit back then and tell these groups what they should be doing or what isn't going to happen all from an entirely unknowledgeable point of view. At least do yourself a favor by visiting the website of the organization you're giving $ to so you know what's actually happening. Just by going to the LRSA website and checking out their conservation section one can fine out that lo and behold they have been involved with AMD remediation, etc. Or oh my gosh, there is an in-depth, multi-phased coldwater study being completed that shows a significant wild trout fishery is possible with a few improvements like gates at multiple depths and some small adjustments in operation such as making better use of Beltzville dam.

Code:
I hope that one day you boys can serve me up a big cup of crow soup but I just do see it happening. Have fun though!

This type of philosophy will surely never get us there or help the trout. However, when this day comes, I will set my crow soup stand up at the Jim Thrope train station and have a special bowl with your name on it. :-D

LehighRegular wrote:

Code:
I hope that one day you boys can serve me up a big cup of crow soup but I just do see it happening. Have fun though!

This type of philosophy will surely never get us there or help the trout. However, when this day comes, I will set my crow soup stand up at the Jim Thrope train station and have a special bowl with your name on it. :-D

lehigh,

Save a cup for me too. Nothing will make me happier than eating a bowl of it, and afterward casting a line in a new World Class (or even "really good") CW tailwater, all from a dream and a lot of hard work done by you guys.

Working to get the G-men to do something (or even not do something) is never easy, but if there's a will (which there is) than you guys will find the way. Good luck.

http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm

Any news on the tournament? I'm aching to rob some people.

We have our monthly meeting tomorrow, and everything will be finalized then.

Doors will open next Saturday at 4:30, beer and food will be provided. 50 dollar buy in 50% pay out, Grouse Hall Rod and Gun Club. If you need directions you can PM me.

Do they have a pond or sink? If so will it be stocked?

He's just jealous because he has no part at all of any conservation. He's a spoiled fishermen that does not give back. The money he donates to our club just goes to the one thing he hates...stocked fish.

Back