Lehigh River Stocking Association Poker Tournament

Once again, I have never called it world class, just to clear that up

To all you other A-Holes.....Unicorn Hair, magic coins LMFAO :::::Shaking my head in disbelief::::: you guys are pricless.

O and to Jdaddy... If I did not have to take an Algebra class again in college recently I would not have understood that you were saying poker and beer is greater then selling fruit :)

Algebra class? I think jdaddy was trying to say that "a x b = beer and cards"

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
Algebra class? I think jdaddy was trying to say that "a x b = beer and cards"

The rafters want the same thing the fisherman do, MORE WATER! Until people stop bashing them and start working with them nothings going to change!

How is a fish ladder on the PO going to the help the fish in the Lehigh?

They get more exercise. GTFO!

Or

It improves Po. Does it improve Po? Am I right? I think I am right? Can I get an amen? I did not say LRSA is helping Lehigh, I pointed out that they are doing things other than stocking meat.

Attachments

• haters.gif
    haters.gif
    117.5 KB · Views: 4
I'd imagine it allows lehigh fish to move further up the po for thermal refuge.

The fish ladder is an alternate to the fact, that if we can not make Palmerton Borough remove the dam we can still give the trout suitable habitat to spawn and seek thermal refuge and then return to the river. they won't just get stuck at the damn and get butchered.

Sight_Nymph

The FEW reservoir would run out of coldwater regardless if there are whitewater releases or not. There are a couple of reasons:

1) Not enough water storage in the reservoir

2) 95% of the water comes out the bottom gates.

If there were no WW releases, and had a consistent release (i.e. 300 cfs +/-) all summer long, then we might get close to keeping a cold/cool release. But it is highly likely that by Mid-August the cold/cool water would run out.

There is NO WAY of ever eliminanting WW releases. The rafters bring in millions of dollars to the region and are an intragual part of what goes on with this river. As Alpa said, anglers and "rafters" need to work together. However, the "rafters" need to understand that this river is not their personal playground and there are living things dependent upon the water for their survival. I realize this may be difficult for most of them to comprehend, because its been basically "their river" for many years. Its hard to take away something that has been considered "theirs" for years. It hasn't been till recently where the "anglers" have spoken up and been more involved. We anglers need to continue this effort or everything will revert back to the playground mentality.

If we can make the Lehigh into a destination trout fishery and WW location, the dollar amounts to the region will go up exponentially. I have read rough estimates that tailwater trout fisheries bring in approx $1 million per mile. Do the math?

As for the Po & the Parryville dam. I think LRSA Becker expressed the difficulties of having the dam removed and concept of the fish ladder and how it will benefit the Lehigh's trout fishery and Po's fishery too.

Obviously, dam removal is best. Fish ladders in general and over all aren't very effective, no matter the design. Its just a fact. What I can't wrap my head around with this project is why Palmerton is so against removing the dam? If there is a way to engineer something to allow the Borough to maintain its water supply, why can't the dam be removed? The main concern, as I understand is the Borough needs this as a water supply. The Borough does not draw a significant amount of water as it is. For the cost of the Fish ladder design and install, the dam could be removed and likely some type of stream bed engineering performed to maintain the water supply source. Isnt the grant for almost $200,000???? Or am I mistaken?

I didn't know there wasn't any 'gates' other than bottom release. I was just going on common sense of releasing from the upper level of the water colum from Sept 15 through June 1. Between June and Sept, you get a constant release from the cold water pool in the bottom of the lake.

I thought I read an article in a NE newspaper from a year or two back that determined that the cold water releases from the West Branch of the Delaware brings over 35 mil to that area from the fisherman alone. I guess that they don't need the money in Jim Thorpe. They'll take the 6 mil coming in from the rafters.

LehighRegular wrote:
Isnt the grant for almost $200,000???? Or am I mistaken?

I think that is the roundabout #. We have not received confirmation yet of securing the grant though.

They'll take the 6 mil coming in from the rafters

Sight_Nymph

Multiply that number by about 8 times..... That is the figure I have seen with regard to WW impact.

If the Corps would re-construct the tower and store a bit more water in the lake during the Summer, in a few years I think the impact could equal or surpass the Upper Delaware fishery. That construction project would be paid off in at least 5 years, at that rate - understanding that it will take a few years for the trout and anglers to respond accordingly.

LRSA Becker - that is what I thought. Does the LRSA realize that it cost less than $50K to remove the Palmerton Low Head dam on the Lehigh? I can't imagine it costing more than that to remove the Dam on the Po??? That leaves almost $150 K to do streambed design or re-configure the withdrawal system for the Borough or both.

jayL wrote:

And then the meatheads will travel right up river with them! If thermal refuge is what you want to use the PO for you should try and get a no kill set up! Either all year around or from July 1 to January 1. So the fish can use the cold water to beat the 80 plus degree heat in the Lehigh and so they can spawn in peace!

BTW the I dont hate the LRSA! I would just like see them do things differently. It's a good group but there are alot of killers among them, and I hate that. Trout are useless once there dead!

Do any of you guys know where Palmerton's water processing plant is? Parryville is pretty far from Palmerton. I wonder why they don't get their water from the Lehigh, since it runs right next to Palmerton...

For anyone that's never seen it, the dam at Parryville looks like 1/2 of a barn roof (without the slate shingles). That thing doesn't look like it will survive too much longer anyway. It's made of wood! One big tree that falls into the Po would probably take it out. :)

Also, I'd heard that there was supposed to be repair work on the FEW dam this summer to repair a faulty valve that has forced the ACOE to release only bottom releases. Any news on completion of this work?

Alpabuck wrote:
jayL wrote:

And then the meatheads will travel right up river with them! If thermal refuge is what you want to use the PO for you should try and get a no kill set up! Either all year around or from July 1 to January 1. So the fish can use the cold water to beat the 80 plus degree heat in the Lehigh and so they can spawn in peace!

BTW the I dont hate the LRSA! I would just like see them do things differently. It's a good group but there are alot of killers among them, and I hate that. Trout are useless once there dead!

We are working on no kill/refuge areas on the Po and the Lehigh. Don't you remember when I dropped some knowledge on you? :)....There is a lot of meat hunters in general not just in the LRSA, and we can not force our membership to catch and release, all we can do is educate.

pickmbts wrote:
Masai Barefoot Technology or MBT is not just a shoe in the ordinary sense – it is a revolutionary fitness aid from Swiss Masai. This product will not only change the way you use your muscles, but will improve the use of your joints and spine. The uniquely designed sole, combined with correct training, achieves a more active and healthy posture and walk.
1)Its sole is curved, not flat.
2)It is unstable, not stable.
3)It activates your muscles instead of undermining them.
4)It has a positive effect on the entire body, not just the feet

????? uhhm really? lol

Also, I'd heard that there was supposed to be repair work on the FEW dam this summer to repair a faulty valve that has forced the ACOE to release only bottom releases. Any news on completion of this work?

HA

I don't know. I heard they were working on repairing the valves or ordering new valves. I assume we will know this status at the fall meeting. Either way, they always seem to have problems with them and were not likely engineered to accomadate the head pressure that comes with a 70 ft water column. Bottom line - the tower is antiquated...time to build a new one!! :hammer:

Regardless, those valves don't release a whole lot of water (300 cfs +/-) and they are only located 50ft off the bottom. There isnt a lot of water in that 50ft zone (0.5 bg), so their use and value to sustaining the coldwater is very limited. But its better than nothing, I guess.

LRSABecker wrote:

We are working on no kill/refuge areas on the Po and the Lehigh. Don't you remember when I dropped some knowledge on you? /quote]

You didnt tell me anything I didnt already know.....I hear alot of yapping but dont see any real change! To me It's starting to seem like the $50 a year I send you boyz would be better spent with the FUDR :-?

Parryville to Palmerton really isn't that far. When it comes to delivery distance look at Bethlehem's water supply up in Penn Forest Twp! (or of course NYC's.)

Speaking of thermal refuge areas, the PFBC has authored a position paper on it. In general it doesn't seem they are in favor of it, in part from a difficulty in regulating it, at least to institute no fishing allowed thermal refuge areas.

Alpabuck wrote:
Instead of just buying fish, why dont you do something that will benefit the river? Like cleaning up amd, trash, or lobbying to have the flows adjusted? Your never gonna turn it into a "World Class" by just stocking?

Everyone of the things you're telling them to do they already do + some more.
AMD remediation? Check
Trash cleanup? Check
Lobbying for better flows? Check
Using Datalogging probes in the river? Check
Addressing key tributray habitat? Check
Education and Advocacy for C&R? Check
Joining in group efforts advocating for better awareness of the trout habitat and its potential amongst the state agencies? Check

You mentioned before that you guided on this river?

Back