Lehigh River Stocking Association Poker Tournament

J I am 28 :-( getting old lol. O no! Reschedual the TU thing :) Well hopefully everything goes well for you guys.

Well lets just say drinking beer and spewing chips would be a lot more fun that running a fruit stand for 3 days at a Hay Creek Heritage festival!

Fruit stand really? LOL that is an interesting way to make some money. Maybe Alpa can help sell some of that fruit :p

jdaddy,

Be careful. I'm guessing that you are being set up. If you look close at his avatars, you'll see that LRSABecker has amassed an army of trained attack cats. You will be jumped at the door and cleaned out before the "shuffle up and deal" even happens.

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
jdaddy,

Be careful. I'm guessing that you are being set up. If you look close at his avatars, you'll see that LRSABecker has amassed an army of trained attack cats. You will be jumped at the door and cleaned out before the "shuffle up and deal" even happens.

HAHA That made laugh so hard I had a tear in my eye. :cry:

LRSA, When I'm not busy catching real trout in real rivers (Something a Lehigh guy wouldnt know much about) I'm an excellent salesman. Any fruit stand would be lucky to have me!

Alpabuck wrote:
LRSA, When I'm not busy catching real trout in real rivers (Something a Lehigh guy wouldnt know much about) I'm an excellent salesman. Any fruit stand would be lucky to have me!

I did not know the trout I was catching were not real. Also, did not know that the Lehigh was not a real river. Must all be a big F'ed up dream LOL. You are also correct that I have not fished much outside of the Lehigh valley area for trout. Being somewhat young, and new to the fly fishing scene, and not having alot of friends that enjoy fishing as much as I do, I am only used to this area, but with new found friendships who have a keen intrest in trout fishing I hope to do a lot more traveling and seeing what the rest of PA has to offer. Further, I am glad you can take a joke :)

Real fish dont come from a truck every spring!

And I'm sorry I didnt know you were young and new! How old you 20?

Alpabuck wrote:
Real fish dont come from a truck every spring!

And I'm sorry I didnt know you were young and new! How old you 20?

In my 20's.....

Not going to get in this argument but not all of the trout in the Lehigh come from a truck. I like to believe a stork comes and drops them off. :-D I also do not want to start an argument about wild/native/stocked/holdovers but, isn't the point of fishing to catch fish? I mean yea I would love to catch 20'' wild/natives all the time but it is not going to happen. Atleast living in the LV allows me to fish the Lehigh and catch large trout in a larger river.

Ok your right we'll call it 95% come from the truck. Thats fine if you like the fish the Lehigh I could care less just dont insult other "World Class Rivers" but calling the Lehigh one of them. .......I just cant see what people find fun about catching trout that eat anything that floats past them. I'll give you three flies and and I'll row the raft and you can beat up stockies all day. Other then the fish in Ressica Falls the fish in the Lehigh are among the dumbest I've ever fished for. If there is hatch going on 3x and something close will catch every fish you see come up you dont even have to worry about drag.

It is a great smallmouth river though!

Alpabuck wrote:
Ok your right we'll call it 95% come from the truck. Thats fine if you like the fish the Lehigh I could care less just dont insult other "World Class Rivers" but calling the Lehigh one of them. .......I just cant see what people find fun about catching trout that eat anything that floats past them. I'll give you three flies and and I'll row the raft and you can beat up stockies all day. Other then the fish in Ressica Falls the fish in the Lehigh are among the dumbest I've ever fished for. If there is hatch going on 3x and something close will catch every fish you see come up you dont even have to worry about drag.

It is a great smallmouth river though!

I have never called the Lehigh World Class, someone else might have but it was not me. I do not know what a World class trout stream even looks like to compare. I am also not at the point as a fly fishermen to care about how hard it is to catch any kind of fish, my goal is just to catch fish on a fly pole. In a couple years when I become a fly fishing snob, then i will care if they are too easy or not to catch :)

I agree with Alpa that the Lehigh is not world class, for several reasons..... at least not yet. The biggest reason is the absence of a significant population of large wild trout. Wild trout are the key to making any fishery be considered a "blue ribbon" or "world class" fishery. I might even consider fingerling grown ups as getting close.

Unfortunately at the moment, the Lehigh needs to be sustained by stocking. If it weren't for the LRSA's stocking policies (and now the PFBC is finally jumping on board too) there would be a very limited fishery. And all the work going on with the Army Corps, PFBC and DCNR to improve this fishery, would be futile or even possible with out anglers coming to fish this river.

Alpa, there are a few picky fish in this river. But agree, the vast majority aren't that picky. Definitely not like Upper D standards. There might be other reasons the Lehigh's fish aren't picky either, besideds being stockies. Stockies can get picky too after they have been in the river a while. Regardless, this makes the river very enjoyable for many angling skill levels. However, I don't consider catching trout as the goal of my outting....they are just the bonus. I feel fly fishing has a lot more to it than that.

Those picky fish will eat either a size 20 bwo or a size 18 exploding caddis every time!

They are trying to improve a marginal fishery. Looks like they are starting to look beyond stocking and into major stream improvements such as the Po fish ladder. Just let them do it. If nothing else they are putting on poker tournaments with beer. Donkament + beer > selling fruit. LOL.

I hate to disagree but I will. It's world class. One of the few real gems this state has. Quit being a 'hater' Alpa. I also enjoy fishing it when it's above 800 cfs during rafting releases. That's when those large wild Paliminos come out from the undercut banks to feed on deer hair mice.

The finest damn wild golden rainbows this side of jordan creek.

Jay,
I think you are confusing Golden Rainbows with Paliminos. Golden Rainbows are a member of the trout family while Paliminos are not a member of the trout family and are filled with corn and magic coins.

Ah... I like tie my flies out of unicorn hair when targeting them.

Back