Fly Fishing Urban Legends

P

Phlsphyguy

We all have heard of Urban legends. I'm sure there are some fishing urban legends as well. They can be about your favorite hole or stream, the big ol' brownie that no one an seem to catch, etc... Two urban legends that I have heard through the years are:

The "old guy" at Resica Falls who doesn't want anyone fishing or who has a "toll" that must be paid to enter the grounds. I've heard this one several times from several people and it always involves some mean old guy.

Being accosted by members of the Lehigh River Stocking Association ala "Deliverence." I've also heard that they will cojole, coerce and threaten you if you don't join or are not wearing one of their badges. Someone told me they were asked to leave the river because they wouldn't donate on the spot. I've heard that they carry shotguns and drywall screws for your tires... I doubt the former is true, though...

If anyone wants to clarify or support the above that would be great. Otherwise, it would be interesting to hear others' urban fishing legends.

"The biggest trout are caught on sucker meat"
So I tried it one night,just to see if it was THAT good, in a pool I knew was loaded with big lake run spawning browns.
I caught a sucker.
I caught a whitefish
and then another sucker-
Got out the streamers and had a good nite.
Oh,it was a full moon-that is my debunked legend.

Phlsphyguy wrote:

Being accosted by members of the Lehigh River Stocking Association ala "Deliverence." I've also heard that they will cojole, coerce and threaten you if you don't join or are not wearing one of their badges. Someone told me they were asked to leave the river because they wouldn't donate on the spot. I've heard that they carry shotguns and drywall screws for your tires... I doubt the former is true, though...

This one is not a legend. 100% true. They wear metal stringers too.

HAHA, Yea uhhm I think the LRSA thing is a sham sorry bud.

LRSABecker wrote:

Quickest defense of LRSA ever! 1m38s

Attachments

• Wow.jpg
    Wow.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 2
Funny, I just happened to sign on and click on that thread first lol

The "old guy" story at Resica Falls used to be a true story.

I don't know about in recent years. Anyone have any updates?

LRSABecker wrote:

So, are saying that they don't wear metal stringers?

Speaking of FF urban legends and toll keepers . . . . anyone believe in trolls? Reports of trolls seem to go up exponentially during the Winter months.

I think there are many Trolls that run amok. Absolutely not an urban legend.

amok.

Sorry. Major pet peeve violation. :)

Phlsphyguy wrote:
So, are saying that they don't wear metal stringers?

YEs, some of them just use those nylon rope jobs with the ring at the end.

Some carry net bags, so they can keep there fish the freshest. Others, rip their heads off and throw the bodies in a plastic shopping bag.

Others, rip their heads off-
with their fangs

LRSABecker wrote:
rip their heads off and throw the bodies in a plastic shopping bag.

WITH THEIR TEETH!

shane_mcgowan_teeth.jpg

On topic, I thought they really did charge an entrance "donation" to Resica Falls.

I fished there in "63" no trolls or tolls then but sure was pretty water-

LRSABecker wrote:
Some carry net bags, so they can keep there fish the freshest. Others, rip their heads off and throw the bodies in a plastic shopping bag.

...Along with their PBR empties? Sad but true....

At least they are taking their empties with them.

gfen wrote:
LRSABecker wrote:
rip their heads off and throw the bodies in a plastic shopping bag.

WITH THEIR TEETH!

shane_mcgowan_teeth.jpg

On topic, I thought they really did charge an entrance "donation" to Resica Falls.

I've never fished there thinking I would be hassled. I've fished down the road from Resica, but never on the reservation. I've heard the "old guy" story from several people and that he also would try to bum some flies from the fishermen and say "they're for the kids" Maybe they do suggest a donation..I'll find out.

Also, never fished the Lehigh for the aforementioned reason. I just don't want to be hassled when I fish. If what I heard is not true, then I'll go this year. I've heard this legend from more than one person...

never drink out of a kayak'ers water bottle.

Back