Fly Fishing Urban Legends

gfen wrote:
OK, on topic: Darktown is a forgotten town, now part of Catasaqua. Evidently, at the Darktown bridge over the Lehigh some girl got murder and haunts it now or some such.

Whoa! That's 4 blocks from my house! How come I didn't hear about that? I ride my bike right past that bridge, almost every day in the summer. :-o

As for the urban legend that Jason is referring to - that spot is well within the gfen 15 mile travel zone.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Not me, dude. I "lost" my best friend when he married a girl with no friends. Since she has no friends, she thinks he shouldn't have any either. Just sad.

I'm happy Larissa has a nice family, and really appreciate the fact that his wife lets him go fishing when he wants to.

The last thing I'd want is to get on her bad side, and lose a fishing buddy. Besides, chopping Larissa up in the woods would take a couple of weeks, and I don't own a big enough knife. :lol:

Attachments

• MS361.jpg
    MS361.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 4
Phlsphyguy wrote:
The "old guy" at Resica Falls who doesn't want anyone fishing or who has a "toll" that must be paid to enter the grounds. I've heard this one several times from several people and it always involves some mean old guy.

I've heard a similar story on that little crick in Mercer PA. Don't know if he asked for money or not. I think he would harrass people to make sure they are throwing everything back. I never fished there though ... yet.

Seen some wierd stuff while steelhead fishing in Ohio.

florida style body removal-much less messy than knives or chainsaw and you get free hams.

pete41 wrote:

florida style body removal-much less messy than knives or chainsaw and you get free hams.

I thought you use these things?

Attachments

• nahm.jpg
    nahm.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 2
gators good-better than chicken-lol

I got one , supposedly there is a spring , high up in Dauphin county , that runs on the surface for awhile and then runs underground. Supposedly if you let a line drift down in there you can catch a trout or two. I've heard this from several folks in the Harrisburg area? The one i remember specifically , who went into detail about it worked in the steel mill with me , last name was Brennashultz (sp?)

gfen wrote:
OK, on topic: Darktown is a forgotten town, now part of Catasaqua. Evidently, at the Darktown bridge over the Lehigh some girl got murder and haunts it now or some such.

How's that work? See. I can be relevant.

It's a lady in white haunting. She was murdered supposedly by a group of devil worshipers. She was an albino. Atleast this is the story my mother tells me, she grew up in Catasauqua.

Gfen, you forgot the u in front of the q, and I thought you prided yourself on spelling

This is going to sound bizzar (it did to me), so it should fit in with the rest of this thread. A buddy of mine has asked me if I've ever heard of a type of trout in Pa that is/was referred to as a "pine trout"? I don't know, but it might have been a name given to trout by locals? He said a guy he used to fish upstate with mentioned this to him a number of years ago. Has anyone else ever heard of a "pine trout" in Pa? I know it sounds ridiculous.

wildtrout2 wrote:
This is going to sound bizzar (it did to me), so it should fit in with the rest of this thread. A buddy of mine has asked me if I've ever heard of a type of trout in Pa that is/was referred to as a "pine trout"? I don't know, but it might have been a name given to trout by locals? He said a guy he used to fish upstate with mentioned this to him a number of years ago. Has anyone else ever heard of a "pine trout" in Pa? I know it sounds ridiculous.

Yes.

It does sound rediculous.;-)

but I never heard of it. Maybe it is just a nickname for native brook trout.

This is a Pine trout (from Pine Creek). :-D

Attachments

• Pinetrout.jpg
    Pinetrout.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 3
Has anyone else ever heard of a "pine trout" in Pa?

Not specifically. But local names are common for subgroups of trout. I'm guessing here on where the name came from, but for instance, historically in PA there were two groups of wild brookies.

1. Permanent small stream residents that we still have.
2. Large stream residents, that when and if necessary, became migratory to oversummer in the smaller, cooler waters of tributaries.

Unfortunately the latter group is a shadow of its former self. I suspect the limestoner brookies (Big Spring, BFC, etc.) are remnants of these. But in the big freestoners like Tionesta, Oil, Brokenstraw, Kettle, 1st Fork, the other Fishing Creek, etc. they are pretty much gone, those were all excellent wild trout streams at one time.

The boom/bust flows and sedimentation due to the logging boom pretty much did them in.

But that 2nd group hung on in Pine for a long time, may still be there though not nearly as impressive in number as they once were. Could it be that your "Pine Trout" is a local name to differentiate these Pine Creek brookies from their small stream brethren, which they cohabitated the small streams with at certain times of the year?

They'd certainly look different than the small stream guys, though the difference likely had more to do with size and diet than genetics.

JDADDY...NOT a troll post, BTW... I am just repeating what I've heard.

I have no fear of the LRSA-chest-waders-wearing-PBR-drinking chocolate chip cookie eating gang. My wading staff shoots curare tipped darts.

Google up pine trout and see fishing at it's best-not
interesting though.

Phlsphyguy wrote:

I have no fear of the LRSA-chest-waders-wearing-PBR-drinking chocolate chip cookie eating gang. My wading staff shoots curare tipped darts.

We just don't eat any Chocolate chip cookies, they have to be soft. This brings me to an idea. To be safe from us LRSA hilljack man bangers, I suggest throwing soft choco chip cookies at us.

pcray1231 wrote:
Has anyone else ever heard of a "pine trout" in Pa?

Not specifically. But local names are common for subgroups of trout. I'm guessing here on where the name came from, but for instance, historically in PA there were two groups of wild brookies.

1. Permanent small stream residents that we still have.
2. Large stream residents, that when and if necessary, became migratory to oversummer in the smaller, cooler waters of tributaries.

Unfortunately the latter group is a shadow of its former self. I suspect the limestoner brookies (Big Spring, BFC, etc.) are remnants of these. But in the big freestoners like Tionesta, Oil, Brokenstraw, Kettle, 1st Fork, the other Fishing Creek, etc. they are pretty much gone, those were all excellent wild trout streams at one time.

The boom/bust flows and sedimentation due to the logging boom pretty much did them in.

But that 2nd group hung on in Pine for a long time, may still be there though not nearly as impressive in number as they once were. Could it be that your "Pine Trout" is a local name to differentiate these Pine Creek brookies from their small stream brethren, which they cohabitated the small streams with at certain times of the year?

They'd certainly look different than the small stream guys, though the difference likely had more to do with size and diet than genetics.
As usual pcray, that's interesting. Makes sense.

LRSABecker wrote:
Phlsphyguy wrote:

We just don't eat any Chocolate chip cookies, they have to be soft. This brings me to an idea. To be safe from us LRSA hilljack man bangers, I suggest throwing soft choco chip cookies at us.

Will you settle for Mrs. Fields instead of homemade (They're soft)? Just in case I got to tie some last minute BWOs and don't have time to bake.

As usual pcray, that's interesting. Makes sense.

It was a complete guess, but the first thought that popped into my mind. It would make complete sense to me to call em that.

Back