Fly Fishing Urban Legends

Phlsphyguy wrote:
gfen wrote:
LRSABecker wrote:
rip their heads off and throw the bodies in a plastic shopping bag.

WITH THEIR TEETH!

shane_mcgowan_teeth.jpg

On topic, I thought they really did charge an entrance "donation" to Resica Falls.

I've never fished there thinking I would be hassled. I've fished down the road from Resica, but never on the reservation. I've heard the "old guy" story from several people and that he also would try to bum some flies from the fishermen and say "they're for the kids" Maybe they do suggest a donation..I'll find out.

Also, never fished the Lehigh for the aforementioned reason. I just don't want to be hassled when I fish. If what I heard is not true, then I'll go this year. I've heard this legend from more than one person...

No no it is all true stay away!

Being accosted by members of the Lehigh River Stocking Association ala "Deliverence." I've also heard that they will cojole, coerce and threaten you if you don't join or are not wearing one of their badges. Someone told me they were asked to leave the river because they wouldn't donate on the spot. I've heard that they carry shotguns and drywall screws for your tires... I doubt the former is true, though...

If anyone wants to clarify or support the above that would be great. Otherwise, it would be interesting to hear others' urban fishing legends.

Beware the LRSA.

First, they convince you to teach them how to tie flies. It's a scam. They can tie great flies, first time, every time.

Then they invite you over for a terrific home cooked meal, and get their gorgeous wives to make cookies for you every time you visit. Brownie points - well received - literally, I might add.

Next, they want to tag along when you go fishing, and also fishing shows , and the like. All the while, they're adding exponentially to your fun quotient.

Next thing you know, you've got a fishing buddy - one that you always want to fish with you.

They're a sly bunch, and ones you should be wary of, unless you recognize the value of having a really good friend. They DO carry sheet metal screws, but they're all in the bottom of their wading boots. :cool:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Being accosted by members of the Lehigh River Stocking Association ala "Deliverence." I've also heard that they will cojole, coerce and threaten you if you don't join or are not wearing one of their badges. Someone told me they were asked to leave the river because they wouldn't donate on the spot. I've heard that they carry shotguns and drywall screws for your tires... I doubt the former is true, though...

If anyone wants to clarify or support the above that would be great. Otherwise, it would be interesting to hear others' urban fishing legends.

Beware the LRSA.

First, they convince you to teach them how to tie flies. It's a scam. They can tie great flies, first time, every time.

Then they invite you over for a terrific home cooked meal, and get their gorgeous wives to make cookies for you every time you visit. Brownie points - well received - literally, I might add.

Next, they want to tag along when you go fishing, and also fishing shows , and the like. All the while, they're adding exponentially to your fun quotient.

Next thing you know, you've got a fishing buddy - one that you always want to fish with you.

They're a sly bunch, and ones you should be wary of, unless you recognize the value of having a really good friend. They DO carry sheet metal screws, but they're all in the bottom of their wading boots. :cool:

I heard an urban legend about an old man that befriended a naive man/boy, chopped him up in the woods, stole his wife . . . and her cookies.

Not me, dude. I "lost" my best friend when he married a girl with no friends. Since she has no friends, she thinks he shouldn't have any either. Just sad.

I'm happy Larissa has a nice family, and really appreciate the fact that his wife lets him go fishing when he wants to.

The last thing I'd want is to get on her bad side, and lose a fishing buddy. Besides, chopping Larissa up in the woods would take a couple of weeks, and I don't own a big enough knife. :lol:

I know of an awesome local urban legend. Not gonna get into specifics but lets just say it involves massive brown trout. I've heard about it from various reputable sources, but since I haven't witnessed it myself it's still an urban legend to me.

I'm sure some of you on here know what I'm talking about, please don't spot burn it. If someone is really dying to know what I'm talking about they can PM me.

jdaddy wrote:
I heard an urban legend about an old man that befriended a naive man/boy, chopped him up in the woods, stole his wife . . . and her cookies.

I heard the same story, except the weird little killer dude chopped up some chick, so I dunno...

JasonS wrote:
I know of an awesome local urban legend. Not gonna get into specifics but lets just say it involves massive brown trout. I've heard about it from various reputable sources, but since I haven't witnessed it myself it's still an urban legend to me.

I'm sure some of you on here know what I'm talking about, please don't spot burn it. If someone is really dying to know what I'm talking about they can PM me.

I know one of those, too, but I've never been motivated enough to find out and if its the same one, it shall soon be no more.

gfen wrote:
JasonS wrote:

I know one of those, too, but I've never been motivated enough to find out and if its the same one, it shall soon be no more.

Outside of your 15 mile comfort zone, imo.

jdaddy wrote:
Outside of your 15 mile comfort zone, imo.

Slackadasical zone, thank you very much. My comfort zone is far, far different.

And that means there's at least two of these things he's talking about.

He should PM me, I want to trade inside info I'll never act on.

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Beware the LRSA.

Don't want to make this a sappy fest, but that might be one of the nicest things someone has said about me and my family LOL Thanks Ed

LOL he's just saying that so you'll let your guard down, then comes the bludgeoning. Geez, for someone who apparently patrols the Lehigh with a shotgun, deliverence style, you sure are trusting.

LRSABecker wrote:
Heritage-Angler wrote:

Beware the LRSA.

Don't want to make this a sappy fest, but that might be one of the nicest things someone has said about me and my family LOL Thanks Ed

Ya, you're not the one that got scammed by Ed into making a tying station for ya. Hmmmm. You know, you probably could have gotten me to get the power tools out Friday night. WHERE ARE MY COOKIES?

If you would have gotten out the power tools, the tying bench would have been destroyed. Hey there is still a 6 pack of New Castle in your fridge enjoy!

JasonS wrote:
LOL he's just saying that so you'll let your guard down, then comes the bludgeoning. Geez, for someone who apparently patrols the Lehigh with a shotgun, deliverence style, you sure are trusting.

I trust the people I know, If I meet you on the river while on patrol, you might have to squeal like a pig.

LRSABecker wrote:
If you would have gotten out the power tools, the tying bench would have been destroyed. Hey there is still a 6 pack of New Castle in your fridge enjoy!

Oh, I gotta keg of Nugget Nectar and a fridge full of awesome craft brews, who needs New Castle? Well, idk, that New Castle is the most expensive 6 pack in there. Amirite? :-D

O your right, thats close to 12 dollars of beer!

LRSABecker wrote:
O your right, thats close to 12 dollars of beer!

If it makes you feel better I have paid hundreds of dollars for a single New Castle in Vegas.

So anyway, this troll thread. More urban legends imo.

LRSABecker wrote:

Ain't this a happy valentine's day, they've gone and exchanged promise rings.

OK, on topic: Darktown is a forgotten town, now part of Catasaqua. Evidently, at the Darktown bridge over the Lehigh some girl got murder and haunts it now or some such.

How's that work? See. I can be relevant.

Back