Fly Fishing Urban Legends

Why would someone kill a rattler unless you're lost in the woods and starving? They are not considered a nuisance and are certainly not overpopulated. The truth is, most bites occur from people "messing" with them. Anything that keeps the "vermin" population in check is OK with me! I still don't want to see one on the trail I'm walking on though, they ARE intimidating.

The rimrock provides abundant habitat for rattlers. The valley is full of them...You just have to use common sense.

NoMoreCornChuckin wrote:
Why would someone kill a rattler unless you're lost in the woods and starving?

I think we had this conversation already but we had at least 3 toddlers to 10 year olds that week the snakes kept coming right into camp. We did the best we could to get them to slither off and up the road but the next day as soon as the sun was out they were back at camp on the concrete slab that covers the well in camp. If you had offered to come by and take them away for good for us we'd have let you but 5 ft rattle snakes and little kids don't play well together. Nearest town is Renovo at 20 minute...not sure what kind of doctors they have there but they barely have cell service.

Ok, Tom. I can understand that! Would have done the same in that situation. What I can't stand is people who kill them just because they are snakes, that goes for all snakes.

I like to watch spiders do their thing, I think it's facinating...but let when crawl on me and you will see a grown man scream like a little school girl!

If one of those Garden Spiders ever got on me,
full_yellowgardenspider.jpg
I would rip my own arm off just to get it off of me!

I see them all the time when fishing local. eek!

Yes Sal! I see them all the time and have accidently walked into them, I hate that!!! ARRrrrrgh!!!

osprey wrote:
I got one , supposedly there is a spring , high up in Dauphin county , that runs on the surface for awhile and then runs underground. Supposedly if you let a line drift down in there you can catch a trout or two. I've heard this from several folks in the Harrisburg area? The one i remember specifically , who went into detail about it worked in the steel mill with me , last name was Brennashultz (sp?)

If this was when you worked at Stanley/Dayton and it was a guy named Jimmy Long or any of the Reedy brothers/dad that told you about it, I know where it is. I read in another post that you worked there and those guys used to fish a spot like that with me when we were kids.

Boyer

osprey wrote:
I only know of one out west here , that would be the spring that runs into "BEAR CAVE" in BLAIRSVILLE. The little spring/run flows into the side of a cliff/hill and if you follow it in there is a huge network of caves and caverns , follow the water down and then to get out follow the water back up. Any YINZERS ever been to Bear Caves in Blairsville? This spring in the Harrisburg area is supposed to be similar but has trout in it , that according to the "legend" , can be caught. It would in my estimate be up around EDDY RAYERS on Manada Creek. or on Ft. Indiantown Gap property.

I have been into bear cave many times. Now that I am a little older and fatter I do not think I could make it through the key hole passage. Kinda of a belly crawl with a twist in water. I wonder if its still open.

You mean Derry Bear Cave?

Been there a few times. It is miles deep. The creek runs right down through- gonna get wet and sandy if you go. Not sure if it was lime or not but the surrounding area has been polluted with AMD. There are some lakes at the base of the mountain, they looked pretty good- steep walk up the mountain though.

You register at a dude's house before you go up so they know when to coming looking for you. I think it is a frequent occurance that people get turned around.

If you want to talk small entrances- try the creek cave along the westbound side of rt. 30 along the Loyalhanna. You would never know it's there if you did'nt know where to look. I'd say the entrance is only 2 feet wide for 8-10 feet before it opens up inside. That cave is for the very experienced- few steep ledges.

That was two decades ago for me.

acristickid wrote:
You mean Derry Bear Cave?

Yep that is it. There is another very good one called Casparis Cave in near South Connellsville

Back