Bq nymph

The body of this one is bq-10 & 32 the hot spot is bq-96 with a double collar of dark brown mink. The bottom pic is submerged.
853e0b15b8858c4f2c53e7d3ac463071_zpsff3575a8.jpg

Bq-94 hot spot & bq-20 for the body
f31bbaf9f4d65c42b06f9b04706747e4_zpsd7e00f12.jpg

I like to build the underbody with white thread, it really makes the color pop and gives it a neutral base rather than the dark hook. I put two light coats of Sally Hansen's hardner on it, then Finnish the pattern.

Man those ties look good, both of you. That BQ stuff really gives those bodies a gooey nymphasite look.

Appreciate that Jim, I've found the trout agree with you. No joke these flies work very well.

After reading all this, I might have to try some of these. Are you putting weight on the hook at all, or just an underbody of white thread? Also, would a regular scud hook work?

Thanks.

Harley, the beads on those are tungsten, but you don't have to weight it if you want a very light fly say for skinny water. I tie a few on daiichi's scud hook and it works fine any hook would do well I would think.

Here's a few more I've been messing with.
9bbbbd83d5d57127c254ae20f0b04a85_zps38805696.jpg

1abfade7409f4e124241b1c3b68b82a5_zps3bb9df5b.jpg

Jack, those look cool too!

really nice flies dude - do you wrap the two BQ's round together ?

i'm thinking this material will be ace for tying some of AK's quill body dry flies.

i'm going to buy some - i figure pink or orange thread underneath could work well too.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks guys. Geebee some of them I wrap both from the back. On the patterns that have a fade from dark to light from the thorax I tie in the lighter color at the rear and the darker at the thorax wrap that back as far as you want it then over wrap the lighter color from the bend.

Those nymphs hanging off the one in the vise are sorta translucent. You can see the hook through the body. Pretty neat.

I noticed that to Jim, I believe it's because I use white ultra thread for the underbody and it's semi transparent at the thinner diameter of the body. The bq material is translucent itself as well. Thought that was a pretty cool side affect myself...

They really look great.

I already have some ideas about using this material for other flies, I just have to get some now.

Thank you Harley, I think you'll find many ways to use this material. I'd love to see them when you do.

yeah i saw the translucent effect thats why i figured to try pink or orange.

i think the contrast of two wrapped together is very much like natural quills.

gotta get me some for Big Spring.

When you play with that I definitely would like to have a look see at that one GB. I have orange but no pink. :-(

J55tyger88 wrote:
I like it. Have u fished it yet? Lets u know how it worked out.
Jim got out twice since you asked and I put up some descent numbers fishing it. I switched it from dropper to point quite a bit and it didn't seem to make a difference. I'd say it's a keeper...

Jack, nice! Ink them puppies in as starters! Thanks for the input, and im curious what your decent numbers are.

Check your pm Jim.

lv2nymph wrote:
When you play with that I definitely would like to have a look see at that one GB. I have orange but no pink. :-(

i just ordered some from the UK - should be here around the 19th.

once i've tyed some up, i'll post em up.

with shipping it came out about $4 a pop. i couldn't find the colours you had this side of the pond - that 10&32 combo looks interesting.

gonna tye em up with white, orange, pink, or red underbodies - Frank Sawyer tyed his nymphs with red underbodies, he swore it gave a more natural colouring to his killer bug and PTs in the water.

am thinking of spun cdc collars too.

thanks for this thread, its given me lots of ideas.

Sweet, looking forward to seeing what you do with it...
10 is brown & 32 is olive brown dark. More olive than brown if you ask me, but they're both in there.

Back