Bq nymph

lv2nymph wrote:
I thank you, Tc, & Whheff.
Here's a pic of it for ya.
6d43cd30156b2fc5a5f741ce0b346514_zps7545bd61.jpg

Thanks for the info and the lead for the cat gut.
Bill

My pleasure Bill..

your getting really good with the body quill

Thanks Anthony, I'm really enjoying experimenting with it. And the trout seem to love the patterns, as you already know.

Jack, do u have any problems with the quill bodies getting beat up from dragging bottom or ripped up from trout teeth? Do u coat the body with epoxy or counter rib?

No problems at all. Two lite coats Sh. Hard as nails "hardner" done deal...
On several different occasions I've taken upwards of a dozen & a half trout on a single fly and it looked fresh from the box, except for the collar which I feel looks better after a few trout have munched on them anyway.

Nice thats awesome. Its cool when a fly is a "veteran" in your fly box.

Agreed Jim, I'm looking to get as many veteran's as possible in the boxes. But then aren't we all. Have you been back to the "LL" lately?

Jack, yes i have been back. I like to tie some different stuff up, then give them a shot after work for a couple hours. Makes it easy cause LL, and saucon are 10 min from my crib.

It's nice having a stream like that close to where you live, it makes tweeking a pattern you're working on much easier. I thought that was such a nice stream and only got to see a fraction of it at fish & chips.

Well, from what ive heard jack, its nothing compared to the stream in your back yard.

Theres very few instances for me when, a fly passes the eye and feel test of me, AND the fish approve of it. Usually, when my creations hit the water, the fish scatter...sometimes theres a dumb one.

J55tyger88 wrote:
Jack, do u have any problems with the quill bodies getting beat up from dragging bottom or ripped up from trout teeth? Do u coat the body with epoxy or counter rib?

i have been fishing this stuff for 3 years now and i dont every recall have it getting ripped up, its some pretty tough stuff....but i did just start using uv goo on it but for a few different reasons

Guys please post some more pictures of nymphs tied with Hend's BQ. I purchased a few spools last year and frankly have not been all that impressed with the material. Maybe some of your patterns can sway my mind.

TD, tell me what reservations you have with it. I'm at work will throw another one on this eve.

lv2n,

Not necessarily reservations, more just that I do not feel that this material has delivered for me as much as the internet testimonials proclaimed. I purchased it to use as a substitute on some standard thread bodied nymphs that I tie (think two bit hooker, and baetis nymphs). Perhaps it is because I am using it for smaller sized flies and only putting on one layer.

I am not knocking it or your very well- tied flies. Just looking for some other potential methods of using for myself instead of a simple thread and wire rib body..not that the fish care too much.

Nice flies attack one, I like the slim profile

thanks, i dont take great pics like jack does....most of the flies are also two tone just hard to see in the picture

Real nice ties Anthony, and I know they're effective cause I've seen you fish. :-D

Back