Are you ready ? The fall run is almost upon us .........

For a quick trip, there are a couple of jetties towards the northern end of the boardwalk in ac. Just be careful, these can be dangerous and I would definitely recommend wearing some type of studs/korkers if you decide to fish from the rocks. The beaches in Brigantine are nice too...and a little bit less developed the further north you go.

I've never had much luck down this way; but I have a friend who lives there, and has been doing well this past week from both the beach and the bay.

Jay, thanks for the info. The brigantine beaches look promising on google, only a 20 minute drive from where I'll be. Think I'll definitely check them out and see how it goes.

There are a lot of good spots near AC. That where I do a bulk of my striper fishing. It's more bait fishing but the are some good spots to toss a fly it. The inlet between AC and brig is good. A few other spots in longport from the beaches. But north jersey if more fly fishing area for jersey IMO.
These is a chill in the air. Time to start hitting the beach. Best time of year when you have to where waders and a hoodie. No more meatheads at the beach and you get to duke it out with someone from new York. I love the fall run.

Thanks marc, I was thinking of taking some surf gear and setting one up to let sit while I toss a fly in. Are there any particular colors (thinking flies) that are best for stripers? What about live bait rigs? Don't mean to hijack this thread but any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Clousers decivers and maybe sandeel epoxies or ez body flies. For bait go to riptide the guys are great and give good advice. Hi lo rigs for fishing clams and bunker chunks. A fish finder rig for fishing bunker heads. If fishing at night, the best way to catch fish is with live eels. The big old nastys. I caught my biggest bass in that general area and on a live eel was pushing in the 40. You fish them like a lure but slow. If you think you are reeling slow reel even slower. Any big bass can nOt pass a swimming eel. Your in a good area to fish with them.

Pics from Montauk

Would love to get to Montauk this year but it's probably not gonna happen. That pic of the fella hooked up (strange he's wearing hip boots, lots of folks there wear full wetsuits).....reminds me of my best day of surf striper fishing which was at that same spot. This would have been Oct 2003 - caught so many bass I quit from sore arms and just watched the show. Acre sized schools of breaking fish right in among the shoreline rocks. I was standing on one of these rocks and the fish were just smashing all around me.....

The stuff of dreams.

However, even Montauk can show you the skunk, as it did the last time I was there.

I wish but i'm extremely tempted to just call out of work for a few days and run up there .

Just heard a report from a friend who was in north jersey last Friday and Saturday. He said it on. Bass and blues blowing bait up 20 yards of the beach. It finally coldso it should only get better. Fish blitzing on peanuts. Nothing beats it.

Those pics from Montauk are beautiful. Nice to hear that the bite is on in North Jersey as well, wishing I was headed up there this weekend and not next month!

I've been up to Sandy Hook a few times this year already...Very limited success on the fly. Had albies in front of me twice in northern Jersey, but couldn't get them to bite. No stripers as of yet, mostly blues and shad.

Not sure if anyone needs a stripping basket . But if you do I heard good reviews about this one a little cheaper than the orvis one.

http://www.flydaddyshop.com/product/fly-daddy-stripping-basket

I actually do need one. I'll have to check that out, thanks for the link!

Would anyone be interested in hitting the beach next Tuesday?

Wish I could but weekdays are tough right now with work.

Not Fly fishing but i'll take it .

I want to go to Montauk, very badly. Just trying to see if the stories of over crowded conditions, absolute need to combat fish in rough surf, rock crawling, etc...Seems as though a few of the stories/reports are of needing expensive gear, falling of rocks, etc...don't seem worth it. My question (one of), and I think I already know the answer, can you find relaxed to moderate relax fishing conditions along a semi-rocky beach without the need to risk life & limb with a $700 VS, $500 dry top and wetsuit?

I have tentative plans to visit in the Spring, when I hear crowds are less. This would be used as a scouting trip for the following Fall. Organize things such as lodging, necessary equipment, get the lay of the land, etc...

I would be very interested if anyone had plans for a trip with extra room to let a newbie tag along.

mkoloch wrote:
I want to go to Montauk, very badly. Just trying to see if the stories of over crowded conditions, absolute need to combat fish in rough surf, rock crawling, etc...

It can indeed be like this - makes the most crowded conditions I've seen in Erie seem mild by comparison: shoulder to shoulder fishermen, some actually swimming in the water ("skishing" they call it), loud cursing in Brooklyn vernacular, crazy laughter, brushing back boaters by casting plugs with trebles at them, guys falling off rocks, boats getting smashed on the rocks or washed up on the beach.....When the bass are blitzing, trust me, you'll see it all.

Now, having said this....it's still worth the trip. And conditions aren't always like this. I've had Turtle Cove and the North Bar all to myself. However, generally speaking, the beaches around the point tend to be very crowded during the fall run and the behavior of (some) of the anglers has to be seen to be believed. It's not for everyone. Sometimes fly casting is tough with all the people around. Usually, if you're willing to walk a mile or so - which is tough because the beach is mostly potato rocks - you can escape some of the crowding.
The drive is tough too: you have to cross Manhattan (I got stuck downtown on Canal St once with my old Mustang with kayak on top and thought I was gonna get run off the road by the cabbies, definitely out of place for me) or take the Verrazano/ Staten Island and pay a fortune in toll fees. There's just no easy way to get there.
But it's worth the trip and I'll do it again.

Fishidiot wrote:
But it's worth the trip and I'll do it again.

I guess that sums it up and seals the deal then!!

Back