• Slate Run

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Stroudsburg

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • Wellsboro

Votes: 9 9.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Frequently on Paflyfish, the question arises as to which is the best fly fishing town in Pennsylvania. It's a fun debate based on a lot of personal characteristics that determine what makes the best town. The last time we took a vote, Bellefonte was selected several years ago. However, times have changed, and it's time for another vote.

Some criteria for the best town could be:
- Fly fishing streams
- Nearby fly shops
- Food options including restaurants, taverns, and bars
- Overnight options such as campgrounds, Airbnbs, or hotels
- Travel distances to the town
- Or whatever inspires you for your favorite town!

Of course, when we are picking a town, this could include a village, hamlet, township, or other community in the state.

A thread was created, and nominations were taken for our top town vote. It was nice to hear calls for Ansonia and Hinkletown, but sadly, there wasn't enough support. However, we did receive the most support for Boiling Springs, Carlisle, Cross Fork, Millheim, Slate Run, Stroudsburg, and Wellsboro.

Please take a moment to vote for your favorite town in the poll.

Swattie87
This thread has turned Wellsboro into the 2024 equivalent of wild Brown Trout in 2023 on PAFF. And here all this time I thought Wellsboro was cool. (I also used to think wild Brown Trout were cool, until I was corrected by the opinions of others on here.)

Gonna start researching places to stay and eat in Coudersport and Mansfield I guess. Last thing I need at this point is a fellow board member catching me at the Penn Wells, or getting breakfast at the Diner, or a pizza at Tony’s, or wings at the Gas Light - Mmmmmm. Tasty chickens.

Glad I have you guys around to keep me on the path to enlightenment.

Last edited:
Bamboozle
I got me a new fishin' hat all picked out for the next time I go carp fishing on Marsh Creek and I DARE them elitists to kick me out!!

New Hat

dudemanspecial
I haven't been to Wellsboro in 20 years. I assumed things haven't changed much but I guess I will have to go see what all the fuss is about.

T
I haven't been to Wellsboro in 20 years. I assumed things haven't changed much but I guess I will have to go see what all the fuss is about.
It's just a fuss on the internet.

The town looks much the same as it did when I first saw it, which was about 50 years ago. It was a nice-looking town then, and still is now.

Bamboozle
It's reminds me when I used to go fishing a lot in Perry County and would stay & eat at the Blain Hotel.

Some local told us the people from Blain were snobs...

BLAIN.....??

I wonder if they allow chickens in Blain????

tomgamber
It's reminds me when I used to go fishing a lot in Perry County and would stay & eat at the Blain Hotel.

BLAIN.....??

That's what small towns say to people they don't want to stay.

dudemanspecial

BLAIN.....??

Isn't there like 1 traffic light in all of Perry county?

5footfenwick
I think a lot of it is perspective. If you are from way out in the countryside then Wellsboro seems like a big city. If you are from a big city, then Wellsboro seems like a cool little town. Both perspectives can be right. All this talk about it makes me wonder if it’s gonna win. Wellsboro, the next Bellefonte? :)

jifigz
I think a lot of it is perspective. If you are from way out in the countryside then Wellsboro seems like a big city. If you are from a big city, then Wellsboro seems like a cool little town. Both perspectives can be right. All this talk about it makes me wonder if it’s gonna win. Wellsboro, the next Bellefonte? :)
I have never been to Wellsboro, but I just looked up the population. I would consider myself from the "country." I don't see how anyone can view a town with a population of less than 4,000 people as a "big city," though. It sounds like I need to go check it out.

Oh, and the town I voted for is winning. Go Milheim!

BradFromPotter
That’s correct, I don’t live in wellsboro. For what they were asking at the time for a house on the outskirts of town with several acres, I was able to buy in Potter many more acres.
not now!

BradFromPotter
That’s my opinion and my experiences. I find most of the resturants to be fancy and overpriced. The diner is nothing but a tourist trap. I was a fan of George’s, but that has since closed. I have simple tastes and don’t require much. Places like the red skillet ( now a bistro) and timeless destination just don’t do it for me. I’d be much happier at the Ducan tavern or the Permastone.

In my experiences, mainly school sporting events, many wellsboro residents have always had a holier than thou attitude. I don’t get that feeling with many other places I’ve been. There was a big to do on the internet a few years back when a cable truck headed to a well pad drove through town during Laurel Festival. Many of the wellsboro residents that commented online we appalled that the state would permit such a truck to drive through town and inconvenience them on their special day.

Lastly is the chicken isssue. For heavens sake, places like Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles and Atlanta allow people to keep a small number of chickens within city limits. They want you to own 5 acres to have chickens, and bees are permitted with an 8 foot fence around the property. Seriously! It’s Tioga County, not the Hamptons. The main person that brought up the issue with their neighbor having chickens was some retired transplant with nothing better to do. I’m a staunch supporter of private property rights and the right to farm.

It’s not the kind of town I’d want to visit, and definitely not the place I’d want to live.
You must get stressed anytime you head east of Galeton. George's? Really? Nothing but greasy food. I guess I'm a snob, but I would not eat out at any place in Galeton. Did you see their Mexican night?

wellsboro residents have always had a holier than thou attitude......most small towns do when it comes to their teams.
Where are you from?

BradFromPotter
It's just a fuss on the internet.

The town looks much the same as it did when I first saw it, which was about 50 years ago. It was a nice-looking town then, and still is now.
but they do not have an Orvis shop now.

Back