• Slate Run

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Stroudsburg

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • Wellsboro

Votes: 9 9.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Frequently on Paflyfish, the question arises as to which is the best fly fishing town in Pennsylvania. It's a fun debate based on a lot of personal characteristics that determine what makes the best town. The last time we took a vote, Bellefonte was selected several years ago. However, times have changed, and it's time for another vote.

Some criteria for the best town could be:
- Fly fishing streams
- Nearby fly shops
- Food options including restaurants, taverns, and bars
- Overnight options such as campgrounds, Airbnbs, or hotels
- Travel distances to the town
- Or whatever inspires you for your favorite town!

Of course, when we are picking a town, this could include a village, hamlet, township, or other community in the state.

A thread was created, and nominations were taken for our top town vote. It was nice to hear calls for Ansonia and Hinkletown, but sadly, there wasn't enough support. However, we did receive the most support for Boiling Springs, Carlisle, Cross Fork, Millheim, Slate Run, Stroudsburg, and Wellsboro.

Please take a moment to vote for your favorite town in the poll.

BradFromPotter
Traffic mostly. When I was traveling to Robert Packard on a regular basis, I always seemed to hit wellsboro at the worst time. There always seemed to be a parade or festival going on, and if that wasn’t the case, it was some tourist going 15 under the speed limit behind a line of 10 cars.

It’s also a pretty pricy town, I don’t care for the elitist vibe I get when I am there, and they don’t allow chickens. So there’s that.
Pricey town? What's pricey?
Elitist vibe....really?
Chickens? you can buy them at Tops or Weis.

Bamboozle
Elitist vibe....really?
Maybe he is confusing Wellsboro with Bozeman?

Maybe he is comparing Wellsboro to West Pike...

I do know that once I went to the Wellsboro Diner for breakfast with my pet chicken "Henny Penny" and they had those little Smucker's jellies on the table.

I asked them if they had Welch's instead and they said "NO" which I thought was pretty elitist. If that wasn't bad enough, they pointed to a large sign that read, "No Chickens Allowed!!"

So we both left and went to Mae's Kountry Griddle in Galeton... 🐓

C
Elitist vibe....really?
That’s my opinion and my experiences. I find most of the resturants to be fancy and overpriced. The diner is nothing but a tourist trap. I was a fan of George’s, but that has since closed. I have simple tastes and don’t require much. Places like the red skillet ( now a bistro) and timeless destination just don’t do it for me. I’d be much happier at the Ducan tavern or the Permastone.

In my experiences, mainly school sporting events, many wellsboro residents have always had a holier than thou attitude. I don’t get that feeling with many other places I’ve been. There was a big to do on the internet a few years back when a cable truck headed to a well pad drove through town during Laurel Festival. Many of the wellsboro residents that commented online we appalled that the state would permit such a truck to drive through town and inconvenience them on their special day.

Lastly is the chicken isssue. For heavens sake, places like Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles and Atlanta allow people to keep a small number of chickens within city limits. They want you to own 5 acres to have chickens, and bees are permitted with an 8 foot fence around the property. Seriously! It’s Tioga County, not the Hamptons. The main person that brought up the issue with their neighbor having chickens was some retired transplant with nothing better to do. I’m a staunch supporter of private property rights and the right to farm.

It’s not the kind of town I’d want to visit, and definitely not the place I’d want to live.

C
Maybe he is confusing Wellsboro with Bozeman?
There’s a very valid comparison to be made there. Both are towns with ample outdoor recreation. Both are places that heavily rely on tourism, and both are towns where out of the area people have moved and raised the cost of living for locals.

C
Maybe he is comparing Wellsboro to West Pike...

I do know that once I went to the Wellsboro Diner for breakfast with my pet chicken "Henny Penny" and they had those little Smucker's jellies on the table.

I asked them if they had Welch's instead and they said "NO" which I thought was pretty elitist. If that wasn't bad enough, they pointed to a large sign that read, "No Chickens Allowed!!"

So we both left and went to Mae's Kountry Griddle in Galeton... 🐓
I do enjoy the humor, but all jokes aside, Mae’s is a great place to eat. Extremely affordable, great atmosphere and friendly staff.

I have some bad news for you though, it seems your “chicken” emoji is actually a rooster. I know it can be hard for some of you city folk to identify farm animals, so I thought I would help you out.

Bamboozle
I do enjoy the humor, but all jokes aside, Mae’s is a great place to eat. Extremely affordable, great atmosphere and friendly staff.

I have some bad news for you though, it seems your “chicken” emoji is actually a rooster. I know it can be hard for some of you city folk to identify farm animals, so I thought I would help you out.

Last time I checked both roosters & hens can be referred to as chickens... :)

M
And just for the record, Priceytown is between Oley and Fleetwood on Route 662, or between Breezy Corner and Boyers Junction on Route 12. And there tain't no crick there either. I'm disappointed that you didn't point that out.

C
So if I sent you out to gather eggs, and told you “watch out for that chicken, it can be mean” you’d know just which one I meant right?

sixfootfenwick
So if I sent you out to gather eggs, and told you “watch out for that chicken, it can be mean” you’d know just which one I meant right?
It's 2024. They probably wouldn't.

No one has to like Wellsboro, and they can dislike it based on their own reasons and experiences.
I'm not particularly fond of that town either.

C
It's 2024. They probably wouldn't.

No one has to like Wellsboro, and they can dislike it based on their own reasons and experiences.
I'm not particularly fond of that town either.
I mean I can understand why some my enjoy Wellsboro. Especially when you’ve spent most of your life living in a subdivision in SEPA where all the houses look exactly the same and the HOA tells you what color to paint your door and how high the grass should be. Coupled with the cost of living down there, it would make Wellsboro appealing to some.

Bamboozle

I know the difference, the only live chicken smiley they have is a rooster.

I could have used this 🍗 but that might have insulted Henny Penny.

BTW - Isn't getting your knickers in a twist about the difference between a chicken & a rooster smiley a bit elitist...?

You don't actually LIVE in Wellsboro...do you?? ;)

**NOTE to Dave Kyle, we need a ROOSTER smiley and a CHICKEN smiley and make sure we have both withe & brown in case someone brings up the topic of eggs...

C
I know the difference, the only live chicken smiley they have is a rooster.

I could have used this 🍗 but that might have insulted Henny Penny.

BTW - Isn't getting your knickers in a twist about the difference between a chicken & a rooster smiley a bit elitist...?

You don't actually LIVE in Wellsboro...do you?? ;)

**NOTE to Dave Kyle, we need a ROOSTER smiley and a CHICKEN smiley and make sure we have both withe & brown in case someone brings up the topic of eggs...
That’s correct, I don’t live in wellsboro. For what they were asking at the time for a house on the outskirts of town with several acres, I was able to buy in Potter many more acres. I enjoy my privacy way to much to even see or hear my neighbors.

R
In many a town , ordinances are written allowing a few chickens but only hens. I am also against anti chicken ordinance and will boycott Wellsboro while riding the snake that is Route 6. I might just detour on Route 49. I'm pretty sure Westfield allows chickens even if they are a rooster banning town.

Back