Recommendations on classes/getting started?

ajh129

ajh129

Hi All -

First time poster here. I am looking to get into fly fishing this year for the sole reason that it seems like it is a lot of fun and a good way to enjoy nature without breaking the bank. That being said, I know very little about it. I wanted to ask if other folks had done any kind of formal instruction before getting started - and if so, any recommendations?

Also, if there's other resources (youtube, websites, books, etc.) that you think would be helpful, I'm all ears.

Appreciate the help in advance.

-Big Dog

Not sure I agree with the "without breaking the bank" part :)
Learning to fly fish today is very different than when I began, but now you have to actually filter out too much info instead of scratching around bookstores and bait shops looking for clues. Definitely check out YouTube. Orvis does some entry level videos (search Tom Rosenbauer), and many other local-ish fly shops do as well.
Start simple and get a reasonably priced outfit that you will learn with and grow out of. Orvis' Encounter combo comes to mind, but there are many options that could be debated all day, and then some.
Focus on the fundamentals of the cast before you get wrapped up in esoterica of patterns, hatches, Euro-nymphing, tenkara, spey... (what else am I forgetting here guys?).
The key thing is this: all the videos and books don't mean anything until you try it on water. Practice your cast in the yard if you can or find a local stream or pond and go out and embarrass yourself. That's the way it works. Just like golf.
Good luck and please keep us updated on your progress.

I took a class with TCO fly shop and I've never touched a fly rod before. I was able to cast 30 feet pretty well after that day, they teach you all the basics, and even collect bugs and teach you about them and what flies to use. Even go down to the creek and watch trout on a feeding frenzy of mayflies. Definity is worth the cost to take the class.

thanks sgrim. I have some friends up in VT and we were kicking around the idea of doing a lesson at the Orvis HQ. Definitely much to learn here... most of those words don't mean anything to me!

Peyton - appreciate the recommendation. I'll have to check out TCO. Looks like they have a shop nearby me in Bryn Mawr!

-Big Dog

Besides the good advice above, I recall seeing that the TCO shop in Bryn Mawr, the Orvis shop in Plymouth Meeting and the LL Bean in KOP all offer free or very cheap getting started classes. Get a starter and then ask for someone here to take you out when you feel ready.

I taught myself as much as I could when I was a young teen in the 80's (through books and trial and error). Much easier with the internet, but that is no substitute for the generous guys who took me out in my 20's, and a good buddy who guides in Central PA and still teaches me a couple things on his days off!

Last edited:
I started 14 months ago after receiving an Orvis Encounter beginner's outfit for Xmas from the wife. I had much to learn, and wound up watching a number of the Orvis videos on fly casting, fly fishing techniques, etc. Which led me to many more hours watching other fly shop & vendor videos on the same subjects. All were useful, if a bit overwhelming at first. Tom Rosenbauer, who does a lot with Orvis, wrote one book in particular I found helpful, if for no other reason than it took some of the mystery out of fly fishing and simplified some things for me me to consider. The book is The Orvis Guide to Beginning Fly Fishing: 101 Tips for the Absolute Beginner. You can find it on Amazon for about $9.

But the most important and helpful thing to me was getting to know a few fly fishermen, who patiently answered several of my questions, gave me some waterside lessons on my initial attempts to cast a fly rod - hilarious if you were an observer - and I found and joined a local fly fishing club. They not only had very friendly and helpful members, but also hold casting classes each year, for beginners and more experienced anglers who need to improve.

That said, there is no substitute for experience, and at the early stage that simply translates to practice. Watch all the videos you want, read all you want, none of it matters much until you get on the water and try to do all those things you've seen and read. My casting is much better now than it was before, but still not all that good compared to others I seen on the water. Don't get frustrated or discouraged, just keep trying to get better and you will. It also helps if you go fishing where you know there are fish. Pursuit of elusive wild trout aside, there is absolutely nothing wrong with fishing for stocked trout. Catching something is a marvelous confidence booster.

thanks sgrim. I have some friends up in VT and we were kicking around the idea of doing a lesson at the Orvis HQ. Definitely much to learn here... most of those words don't mean anything to me!

Peyton - appreciate the recommendation. I'll have to check out TCO. Looks like they have a shop nearby me in Bryn Mawr!

-Big Dog
John Parisi and Lenny Gliwa at TCO are great guys!

Last edited:
Hi All -

First time poster here. I am looking to get into fly fishing this year for the sole reason that it seems like it is a lot of fun and a good way to enjoy nature without breaking the bank. That being said, I know very little about it. I wanted to ask if other folks had done any kind of formal instruction before getting started - and if so, any recommendations?

Also, if there's other resources (youtube, websites, books, etc.) that you think would be helpful, I'm all ears.

Appreciate the help in advance.

-Big Dog
Orvis in Plymouth Meeting is right outside of Philly and they provide equipment and give free fly-fishing classes each Saturday beginning in April >

Do a search for Pete Kutzer Orvis on youtube, Pete is a lead fly fishing instructor at Orvis.

I started 14 months ago after receiving an Orvis Encounter beginner's outfit for Xmas from the wife. I had much to learn, and wound up watching a number of the Orvis videos on fly casting, fly fishing techniques, etc. Which led me to many more hours watching other fly shop & vendor videos on the same subjects. All were useful, if a bit overwhelming at first...

But the most important and helpful thing to me was getting to know a few fly fishermen, who patiently answered several of my questions, gave me some waterside lessons on my initial attempts to cast a fly rod - hilarious if you were an observer - and I found and joined a local fly fishing club. They not only had very friendly and helpful members, but also hold casting classes each year, for beginners and more experienced anglers who need to improve...
This ^^^^

There is SO much info, stuff, opinions and folks offering help (who also sell gear) that your head will explode...

...right after you discover your wallet is empty. ;)

Finding a mentor, either by asking on THIS message board, a local Trout Unlimited (TU) Chapter or other fishing club will pay you HUGE dividends in the beginning.

It's what got me going a 1000 years ago when it was a lot easier and what I do to help if a newbie asks me who lives close by.

Good luck!

Your in luck, it’s not that difficult to learn. In fact it’s quite easy. The orvis videos are a good start but nothing works better then getting out and giving it a whirl. The hardest part is getting started so run up to Cabelas, pick up a 100 dollar combo and a handful of hares ear nymphs and go fishing. It’s only as difficult as you want to make it, or want to make it appear to be. Enjoy!

All - appreciate ALL the info here. More than enough to chew on, thank you. Will definitely look into some instruction, videos and books.

Ill be keeping my head low for the next month or so as I get equipped, but if theres anglers in the Philly area that would be open to giving a young blood some lessons, please send me a DM!

All - appreciate ALL the info here. More than enough to chew on, thank you. Will definitely look into some instruction, videos and books.

Ill be keeping my head low for the next month or so as I get equipped, but if theres anglers in the Philly area that would be open to giving a young blood some lessons, please send me a DM!
Again, I recommend you take the classes I posted about above.

The classes are free with no purchase necessary and equipment is provided if you don't have a rod outfit to start.

I used to work at the Orvis store and taught many of these classes.

The guys and gals there are great, and they will help you get started with knots, rigging, casting, and explain a little about the bugs and flies to use.

There also is a second free follow-up class you can take for an "on the water" experience at a local stream or lake.

The classes start in April > http://events.r20.constantcontact.c...001KgYnXUDQm7JJiyNzVwjDdA==&year=2022&month=3

I fished for gills, walleye and bass mostly here in Ohio. Always was intimidated by stream fishing and all there was to know about flow, runs, ripples and pools. Now I'm hooked. I attended the Kinzua Fly Fishing School in Bradford, PA a few years ago. Very helpful indeed. Now I can't get interested in any other kind of fishing. I'm not very good, but I "practice" a lot. I can honestly say, all these post are very much correct when they say go experience it. You will make many mistakes very often along the way. But gain valuable experience while doing it. Oh, and you better get used to tying many knots, many times! It's not the fishing you should focus on enjoying, but the process of the type of fishing you're choosing to do. It's like bass fishing, but 100 times harder, but 100 times more rewarding too!

I am now 63 and was never properly taught how to fly cast, which means that I have developed quite a collection of every bad mistake that beginners make. I have taken some of the above posted courses and they have really helped me improve.

All of the above posts and information provided will really help.

All of the above is great advice, and I would pursue those avenues first. If you find yourself still struggling, I would add spending a day with a guide or another experienced fly fisher, you will shorten the learning curve tremendously. Guides can be a bit pricey which is the drawback. Don't go with expectation of catching fish, go to pick his/her brain about anything and everything you can think of.

Secondly, fish for blue gills. They are relatively easy to catch, not picky about flies, fun, and they are in just about every lake you can find. You will find succes fairly quick and nothing will build your confidence like success.

Good luck.

thanks sgrim. I have some friends up in VT and we were kicking around the idea of doing a lesson at the Orvis HQ.
Unlike the local Orvis stores, as far as I know, they don't offer free Fly Fishing 101 classes. They do offer one or two day classes but they're not cheap. If you've never been to the store, it's an interesting place to visit. They use to offer tours of their rod manufacturing shop, not sure if they still do. If you hit it on a day they're having a tent sale, you might find something interesting to pick up.
Locally, you might think about joining Delco-Manning TU. That's the nearest TU chapter to Philly. Even though I'm a member I don't know if they offer fly fishing or fly tying classes. The other group is the Mainline Fly Tyers they meet at the Plymouth Community Center just off Germantown Pike past the Plymouth Meeting Mall. They do offer classes in fly tying and fly fishing, not free, but affordable. I think the costs range from $40 to $65.
I'll second what Tigereye said. Start off fishing for panfish. Depending on where you live in Philly, either the Wissahickon or the Pennypack creeks have decent warm water fishing. You can catch three or four different species of sunfish, rock bass, smallmouth and largemouth. Ridley and Chester creeks also have warm water fishing.

I just got home from a day on the water with Nick of Wildwood Outfitters. We started out on The Little Sandy, after a few fish, we headed over to Sugar Creek and bounced around to a few spots. We landed fish at all locations. He was very informative with his fundamental instructions of casts and drifts. I picked his brain all day, and we caught many fish even though conditions weren't the greatest. I would highly recommend his service to any newbe or nearly newbe. I'll take away some good memories and valuable knowledge.

I say jump in and start flinging flies at the local creek. It’s not difficult, you will figure it out and catch fish at the same time. it’s only as difficult as you want to make it. We have all stuck a fly in our hats and we all still put them in trees both in front and behind us. Nobody lives or dies based on how well you do so go out and enjoy the process and never forget we all started doing this for FUN!

Back