Recommendations on classes/getting started?

Just a heads up. This website's "jam" is next weekend at 7 mountains campground just south of state college. We pretty much take over a campground for a weekend and fish, play guitars, carry on, some drinking gets done. Celebration of the sport in an area with lots of good fishing at the best time of the year for it.

I can't think of a better opportunity for a beginner. There are lots of very good fly fisherman there, all of which who are happy to share knowledge, take out new people, etc. Especially if food or alcohol is shared. ;) See events/meet-ups forum.

thanks sgrim. I have some friends up in VT and we were kicking around the idea of doing a lesson at the Orvis HQ. Definitely much to learn here... most of those words don't mean anything to me!

Peyton - appreciate the recommendation. I'll have to check out TCO. Looks like they have a shop nearby me in Bryn Mawr!

-Big Dog
The 2-day TCO class at their Boiling Springs location is also taught for Orvis I believe. The TCO class is a little cheaper and excellent.

Also, look to Orvis's online library of FFing videos. Their videos helped me get started.

Congratulations on your FF decision.!

Glancing at date of your OP,
u r likely, already in your way.

My 2 pennies below

For me, wading in the water ( does not matter if ankle or waist deep) is a big part of the fun.

My suggestion...
Get your waders & boots first.
Find a creek or river u r instinctively attracted to. Go for a walk in the water, turn over some rocks, tree branches and leaf clusters. Collect some bugs from under those rocks and save them in small bottles filled w alcohol.

Do this for 2-3 times...by now, your itch has prob heightened....that's good.

Buy 2 flies...3 of each below...keep it simple
or u will easily get overwhelmed and discouraged.
Tan #16 Hares Ear Nymph
Olive or Black #8 Woolly Bugger

Learn 3 knots
Davy knot for your Hares Ear
Clinch knot for your Bugger
Triple surgeons knot to attach 3x tippet to your 9' leader...keep leader & tippet total length in 7.5 to 9' range.

PRACTICE YOUR KNOTS.

Go to local Fly shop. Tell them your budget for beginner rod/reel. Let them help u. They r valuable assets.
Also ask shop to help u select STRIKE INDICATOR, to match your #16 Hares Ear so u can learn to fish upstream.

PRACTICE YOUR KNOTS

Now go wading and fishing in the water u scouted previously.

Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes of injury from errant hooks.

VERY IMPORTANT...!!
Use barbless hooks or pinch barbs down.

Wade & fish the white bubble foam line UPSTREAM for 30-60 minutes with your Hares Ear and Strike Indicator.

Move to different part of your stream.

Wade and fish the white bubble foam line
DOWNSTREAM with your Bugger for 30-60 minutes.

Go home...
PRACTICE YOUR KNOTS.
go fishing again with same formula.
PRACTICE YOUR KNOTS.
Keep visiting this forum.
PRACTICE YOUR KNOTS
Join a Trout Unlimited Chapter.
PRACTICE YOUR KNOTS.
Welcome to the club.

Back