Mentored Youth Day

I suspect that it was not a PFBC choice, but I sympathize with those who don’t like it.

Don’t know why PA F&B needs a kids social number for a 1 day “free” permit. We’ll pass on tomorrow. Plenty of fishing with the grandkids coming up.

Steve
The supposed financial kickback the PFBC gets is a good thing (at least if you have faith they'll use it appropriately.) For that reason alone I have bought and taken a kid the last three years.

I'll be taking a 7 year old tomorrow. He will be using a spinning rod but chucking junk flies on it.

The supposed financial kickback the PFBC gets is a good thing (at least if you have faith they'll use it appropriately.) For that reason alone I have bought and taken a kid the last three years.

I'll be taking a 7 year old tomorrow. He will be using a spinning rod but chucking junk flies on it.
I’d rather see them have adults get the permit, since we are the mentors. I’d gladly add that to my license

I’d rather see them have adults get the permit, since we are the mentors. I’d gladly add that to my license
I'm not disagreeing, but why would it make a difference? When they monitor the child they gain info on potential new customers in years to come. (That's both good and bad.)

Plus, one permit is needed for each kid. It's easier to monitor I would think and would result in more permits being issued than if I just got my permit and took several young'uns out on my one permit. The last several years I've taken 3 youth...... That's a handful.

One can be a handful, 2 gets even better!
Guess my feeling has more to do than who is being monitored.

I thought it was weird having to add SSN for the free permit but now he has his CID #, something he would get at some point in time anyway.

We were only out an hour before the skies let loose, and he wasn't so into the cold rain. But he did very well for an hour. He's casting well too.

Yes kudos to PFBC for this program, its a very good program.

20230325 074857
20230325 081545
20230325 084745
20230325 080911
20230325 083932

First time participating this year with my almost 5 year old on a stocked section in lanco. We stalked a golden yesterday but we got to our spot around 7:10 and there were already a couple parties on that hole, so we moved along. Started on powerbait eggs and they weren’t biting, so we moved to worms and started getting hits right away. The boy landed 2 nice rainbows and really wanted to eat them so we took them and were out of there right before the rains hit at 9, and had our bellies full by 11. What a great morning :)

One of the other dads that made their way over as we were finishing up had a rule with his kids, they’d throw them back unless the hook set was rough and the fish needed to be over handled, and those were the keepers. I’ll probably steal that rule next year.

It was busy, but not overcrowded and all the kids were having a blast, it was fun feeling like everyone was on the same team Vs how people can sometimes get territorial about their holes, and hearing kids off in the distance yell with excitement when they landed one. Great program, will definitely come back next year.

And yes, I agree it’s weird to ask a 4 year old for his social security number. SS is a program for workers and retirement, a 4 year old shouldn’t need one for this. Issue them to the mentors. I don’t think I had a SS# until I was like 10.

We had a couple fish on but none landed. I forgot how unused to a spinning rod I am. We took just one rod and I cast sometimes and the kid worked on casting. We had bites but failed to hook them due to slack, etc .

A good time and a good program. I did see a middle aged gentleman just fishing with a fly rod. He didn't seem to have a kid. He was just, well, fishing.

He looks like a confident wader Pat. Must’ve gotten his mother’s balance. 😜 I hope my son gets his mother’s too.

Glad you guys had a good outing, even if brief before that rain band came through.

My neighbor was out on the Breeches with his son, they did well too it sounds like.

Glad you had a good time! Is that Lancaster County? He's in deep!
No, Lebanon I believe, if I'm wrong it'd be Dauphin as its close to the border. It's the Quittie. North of Palmyra.

Last edited:
Ended up going to mauch chunk creek. Did well. Lots of connects, fish jumps, then fish off. Kept two that swallowed hook. Cold even in afternoon but good time.

Attachments

• B8180F5A-897D-4AF6-95F7-49ABE3AA5C3E.jpeg
    B8180F5A-897D-4AF6-95F7-49ABE3AA5C3E.jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 33
Don’t know why PA F&B needs a kids social number for a 1 day “free” permit. We’ll pass on tomorrow. Plenty of fishing with the grandkids coming up.

Steve
I believe the online fishing license sales system is tied into another system to lookup those who are failing to pay child support. I presume the SSN is used to look that up. And the programmers probably put no lower age limit on applicants; ergo it is a required entry for all users in the system. There's probably some other requirement for licensure that demands a SSN be collected as well.

I thought it was weird having to add SSN for the free permit but now he has his CID #, something he would get at some point in time anyway.
They need them to catch those deadbeat kids who ain't paying their child support.

Reactions: scs
Back