Mentored Youth Day

pcray1231

pcray1231

Taking my youngest (8 years old) out tomorrow. I've had him with spinning rods and mostly bluegill type fishing so far, though he did catch a wild brookie behind his uncles place (spinning rod). He got waders and a fly rod for Christmas, so this will be really the first fly fishing outing. We scouted the Quittie last Saturday, found an area with a load of fresh stockers that you have to wade across to effectively fish, hopefully giving him a leg up on some other non-wading kids. Picking him up at his mom's at 7 a.m. and will be on stream by 7:30. It got some water, so if it doesn't rain too much more, some color and flow, which helps in the normally crystal clear and slow Quittie.

Weather looks iffy, low 40's and wet is tough for an 8 year old kid. If he's miserable, we'll just quit, I don't want to turn him off to fishing. And too much rain today or tonight will blow it out. So, the normal fishing "if the stars align" stuff is in play, but it certainly could work out well here.

No real questions. Just seeing if anyone else is doing the mentored youth thing, and thought it deserved mention on the forum.

I will likely take my 15 year old for his last one. Weather looks iffy but spotty, so hoping to sneak a couple hours in between provided the flows stay okay. Have fun and good luck to all those youngsters!

My kids are 8 & 10. We fish spinning rods on warm lakes - no trout fishing yet. Depending on weather, we might go to a stocked pond using their spinning rods.

Flowing water would be to tough for me to handle with two of them.

I think my 10 yo will try a fly rod later in the season.

Good luck!

My guy is too old now but it was great time and I definitely recommend it for kids. Plenty of room to spread out. Very enjoyable. Hope the water’s cooperate. Went out myself yesterday for first time. Actually stopped at Duppstadt's Country Store to purchase a license since I couldn’t locate mine. Guy looked me up and said I got a 3 year license. Hah, good for 2 more years. Whoo hoo. Hell, my memory is so bad now- can’t remember crap.

Good luck out there. I applaud the PAFB for this program. It’s all about the kids.

Just a regs question, and don't figure we'll be hassled anyway. But officially, does the 8 a.m. starting gun apply like opening day, or just you're good to go at dawn?

I did get him the voluntary $3 license. Crazy that you need to make an account in his name in the online licensing thing. SS # and all that. You'd think a parent could just buy a mentored youth license on their account.

13 and 15 will be out tomorrow. Both with fly rods. Will recruit a friend to take on one while I am with the other. They both have been using a fly rod since the beginning of the youth opener a few years back. Oldest will probably be good by lunch. Youngest I will have to drag off the stream. High-sticking with egg flies and squirms always produces for them.

My little nieces and nephew are a bit too small to brave the creekside tomorrow, but I plan to take them to my gun club's stocked pond for opening day next weekend. Last year we managed a couple stockers so they all had a tug on the line, but the highlight was the 8 year old catching a bluegill barely large enough to pull the bobber around. She baited, hooked, and landed it all on her own. She was so proud! That was a true trophy fish.

The mentored youth day is a fantastic program. Get out and enjoy it with a young one if you can. Keep our sport alive.

If the streams are “chocolate milk” but not outlandishly high, switch to power bait or canned corn. The corn works quite well for some reason in those conditions and remember that the fish may not be way out in center channel, but in the eddy at your feet while you stand on the bank. The alternative is lake fishing.

Acristickid, thanks for the kudos for the PFBC regarding that program.

If the streams are “chocolate milk” but not outlandishly high, switch to power bait or canned corn. The corn works quite well for some reason in those conditions and remember that the fish may not be way out in center channel, but in the eddy at your feet while you stand on the bank. The alternative is lake fishing.

Acristickid, thanks for the kudos for the PFBC regarding that program.
Or fish a tailwater...... Or don't..... stay away from my spots.

Just a regs question, and don't figure we'll be hassled anyway. But officially, does the 8 a.m. starting gun apply like opening day, or just you're good to go at dawn?

I did get him the voluntary $3 license. Crazy that you need to make an account in his name in the online licensing thing. SS # and all that. You'd think a parent could just buy a mentored youth license on their account.
8am start. One part of the regs I've been questioned on before is that adults may fish with their youth - catch and release, of course. Sometimes it helps to be able to hook up for your mentee, have an extra setup ready to hand off while you retie or untangle, try a different method, fly, or bait. And it's also ok to hook a fish yourself and have your mentee get excited for their fishing partner. However you choose to participate with your mentee, enjoy it!

I should have also mentioned night crawlers, which provide two adventures for the kids….an after dark hunt and next day fishing. With today’s and yesterday’s rains the worms could be out tonight, just in time for kids armed with flashlights.

Good luck to everybody mentorin' tomorrow. I agree with Mike about the worms and crawlers should be out tonight.

Bribed my 11 year old daughter to finally go this year, and of course here in SE PA we in the midst of 3 days of rain. Praying for no blow outs.

This will be his first time with waders on. I mean he's waded around streams with water shoes and swimming trunks in the summer. But I honestly think he's gonna pretty enthralled with walking around in water without getting wet, haha.

I should have also mentioned night crawlers, which provide two adventures for the kids….an after dark hunt and next day fishing. With today’s and yesterday’s rains the worms could be out tonight, just in time for kids armed with flashlights.
When catching night crawlers, it's important not to put the direct beam of your flashlight on them, they will quickly recede back into their hole. Just use the less bright outer portion of the beam to locate and catch them. Good hunting!

When catching night crawlers, it's important not to put the direct beam of your flashlight on them, they will quickly recede back into their hole. Just use the less bright outer portion of the beam to locate and catch them. Good hunting!
The vibrations from walking scare them ,too. I learned the tippy toe barefoot method. I prefer the red light on a headlamp.
I think Lively Legz has an informative " how to catch nightcrawler " vide on youtube

My guy is too old now but it was great time and I definitely recommend it for kids. Plenty of room to spread out. Very enjoyable. Hope the water’s cooperate. Went out myself yesterday for first time. Actually stopped at Duppstadt's Country Store to purchase a license since I couldn’t locate mine. Guy looked me up and said I got a 3 year license. Hah, good for 2 more years. Whoo hoo. Hell, my memory is so bad now- can’t remember crap.

Good luck out there. I applaud the PAFB for this program. It’s all about the kids.
If your memory is that bad, do you qualify for a (what's left of your) Lifetime License? :D

My 9 yr old and I are planning to head out around 3 tomorrow once the rain fizzles out a little bit. Planning to fish local Monroe/Carbon creeks. As long as there is fishing, candy, and walking in his waders; he'll be content. My guess is his waders will be wet inside within the first hour :ROFLMAO:

My 9 yr old and I are planning to head out around 3 tomorrow once the rain fizzles out a little bit. Planning to fish local Monroe/Carbon creeks. As long as there is fishing, candy, and walking in his waders; he'll be content. My guess is his waders will be wet inside within the first hour :ROFLMAO:
It's always fun for a kid to walk into a diner for an early lunch - with his or her waders on. They'll tell stories to anyone who asks about them.

Don’t know why PA F&B needs a kids social number for a 1 day “free” permit. We’ll pass on tomorrow. Plenty of fishing with the grandkids coming up.

Steve

Back