All kinds/Ridley Creek

That’s not hard to ballpark estimate.. Just check the daily stocking schedule for a given district and then tack on some more days because many streams get double coverage with one WCO at one end of the stopped vehicles and another at the other end. Then you can add some more days for covering the stockings in districts where there are present vacancies. Then subtract some man-hours for stockings that don’t take all day.

As for restricted OT, my personal philosophy would be that I would rather see WCO’s collect OT investigating pollution events than doing so flying the flag at field days. Furthermore, fiscal conditions and sources of funds differ from agency to agency, so a comparison among agencies’ OT usages doesn’t really tell the full story.
Regardless of agency OT differences, it was a pretty bad look, and they weren’t asked to come back for the next year. A lot of kids left that day thinking that Fish and Boat didn’t have time for them.

Im an OLD Timer!

Not gonna ever get my panties in a bunch over someone fishing illegally on a stocked stream or any other for that matter. Unless they are polluting or trashing!! But then I would to someone who WAS fishing legally>
This is a great attitude. Maybe we should all pick and choose what laws we want to follow?

A lot of kids left that day thinking that Fish and Boat didn’t have time for them
What’s your evidence for that comment and how long were the PFBC personnel present?

Another thing to be considered when people say "call the WCO", is that often, by the time a WCO is able to get to a given stream, the culprits are gone by then. So, they feel their time has been wasted. I imagine that gets frustrating after a while. They can't be everywhere.

What's important is to observe as many details as possible and give that information to WCO or even leave it as a message because MANY times it's not a one-off violation and the WCO is familiar with the perp...

Case in point - I once observed some POTENTIAL illegal shellfish harvesting at Scott's Run Lake. I called the Regional LE Office and left a message describing the activity and the actors involved.

I got a call back a day later and the WCO was VERY interested and told me he knew all about these folks, was appreciative of the info I provided and that further surveillance was forthcoming. I also found out I could have reported the activity to the Park Rangers... :oops:

I don't know if the activity was illegal, if it was that anyone was caught or fined but I still think WCO's appreciate learning what is going on and who is doing what in their regions, regardless if they can catch violators in the act.

I realize for some it's easier to turn a blind eye but people just ignoring bad or illegal behavior emboldens the slugs and they get away with it over and over again...

Here’s the another way to make a report, even after the fact: If you know which vehicle the offending angler is driving, you can report the make, model, color and license number along with a description of the angler to the PFBC regional law enforcement office. This may be very beneficial for past , present, and future cases.Your observation may tie in with those of others, helping to complete a more general description of a particular individual’s MO.

Hay is stocked AND Class A wild brown trout, just to complicate things even more....

Here’s the another way to make a report, even after the fact: If you know which vehicle the offending angler is driving, you can report the make, model, color and license number along with a description of the angler to the PFBC regional law enforcement office. This may be very beneficial for past , present, and future cases.Your observation may tie in with those of others, helping to complete a more general description of a particular individual’s MO.
Thanks Mike, at one time I believe John told me to report to the local police as well, if he was unavailable.

In the computer/internet age, there's no reason for ANYBODY to not know the rules. If they're important enough to you, it's simple to learn them.
100%. EVERYONE in PA knows there is a "trout season" (ok...let's not get technical. It's hyperbole). It's on them to find out when it starts. If they "didn't know", they didn't want to know.

This is a great attitude. Maybe we should all pick and choose what laws we want to follow?
Seems to be what is going on now. The problem is, that leads to nothing but chaos if left go long enough.

Im an OLD Timer!

Not gonna ever get my panties in a bunch over someone fishing illegally on a stocked stream or any other for that matter. Unless they are polluting or trashing!! But then I would to someone who WAS fishing legally>
What a lousy excuse of an answer. And in case you are wondering, I turned 71 last week myself.

100%. EVERYONE in PA knows there is a "trout season" (ok...let's not get technical. It's hyperbole). It's on them to find out when it starts. If they "didn't know", they didn't want to know.
Most everyone, not all, has a cell phone these days . That info is readily available. Hell, I have a flip phone and can look it up on that.

That’s not hard to ballpark estimate.. Just check the daily stocking schedule for a given district and then tack on some more days because many streams get double coverage with one WCO at one end of the stopped vehicles and another at the other end. Then you can add some more days for covering the stockings in districts where there are present vacancies. Then subtract some man-hours for stockings that don’t take all day.

As for restricted OT, my personal philosophy would be that I would rather see WCO’s collect OT investigating pollution events than doing so flying the flag at field days. Furthermore, fiscal conditions and sources of funds differ from agency to agency, so a comparison among agencies’ OT usages doesn’t really tell the full story.
Agree! Not to mention, DCNR and PGC have vast land holdings with gas wells on them these days and are raking in royalties from them. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

On a positive note, a family friend who has fished most of his life is enthusiastically jumping into fly fishing at 21 years old. He caught his first trout on a fly on the Ridley FFO this month. I think that's what it's for, yeah?
Good to hear!

I was told it's an option and I did it on one occasion (and it worked in Northampton County) but unless something has changed you CAN call 911.

They are supposed to have all of the contact info for the emergency and LE personnel which should include the local WCO. The individual WCO phone numbers are out there but IF a WCO is transferred to another region you would be calling the wrong guy.

At one time I had a really good relationship with my local WCO but he's been promoted a bunch of times and no longer a just a regional WCO.
They frown upon anyone calling 911 for a non-emergency call.

I mostly imteracted with WCO in Wayne Co. He is now retired. He was already aware of most of the bad characters in the area. They have a laptop with a database of violators and potentials. He once told me that many of his arrests on State Game Lands are drug related.

What's important is to observe as many details as possible and give that information to WCO or even leave it as a message because MANY times it's not a one-off violation and the WCO is familiar with the perp...
Regarding the situation I observed on Ridley Creek, in this particular case, I want to believe it probably was a "one-off violation". This young guy was with his girlfriend, which I don't think fits the "usual" description of your average poacher. I'd expect one to be more stealty than bringing your GF along.

Also, after I mentioned the season wasn't open and continued on my way to my truck, I saw them at the parking area putting their stuff in their vehicle. I'll give them the benifit of the doubt this time. It feels better. ;)

If the young guy is anything like I was, he quit because he was WITH his GF, something else "stirred" his interest and he decided to swap one rod for another...

Been there, done that in Ridley Creek State Park back in the days when trout fishing was secondary. ;)

If the young guy is anything like I was, he quit because he was WITH his GF, something else "stirred" his interest and he decided to swap one rod for another...

Been there, done that in Ridley Creek State Park back in the days when trout fishing was secondary. ;)
I've seen a lot of odd stuff in Ridley over the last 20+years. One time, while on my way into my stand site during archery season, I encountered two young people doing the naughty right there in the woods! I heard the sounds associated with this activity. They were just off the trail I had to travel, as it was the only way into where I was hunting. I said "excuse me, I have to get past you folks". Young buck said "give us a minute". They packed up and went on down the trail. Never a dull moment in Ridley. :)

I told you once that was probably me... ;)

RCSP was THE place for anything & everything back when I lived in Delco...

Back