All kinds/Ridley Creek

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

I was hiking the trail along Ridley Creek, north of Gradyville Rd bridge, when I stopped to check a large pool section. I saw it was loaded with some really nice size rainbows, so I figured it was recently stocked and continued my hike. On my way back I saw a young guy with his girlfriend fishing this pool. The girl was actually bringing in a nice bow as I came upon them.
I said to young buck "the season wasn't open yet". He said, "oh, I though it was". I said, "didn't you find it strange that there's 40-50 trout sitting in that pool and there's nobody else here fishing for them"? He said, "I've only been fishing for two years, so I didn't know". I said "stop back April 6th".

I always say, never be surprised what you see in Delco...

If it was me, I would have called the Southeast Regional Law enforcement office because I guarantee you that "young buck" didn't have a license and will be back tomorrow...

If it was me, I would have called the Southeast Regional Law enforcement office because I guarantee you that "young buck" didn't have a license and will be back tomorrow...
Actually, they did have licenses displayed. I'll give them that much credit. What he'll do tomorrow is anyone's guess. You are right about Delco though. :)

Last edited:
If this guy was pleasant I'd probably give him the benefit of the doubt. That said, I think you have an obligation to this forum to repeat your hike tomorrow, same time, and see if he's back.

How many years ago did they eliminate the special SE early season? That always confused me too.

This specific type of violation is pretty common in SE Pa on these warm March days. The ones that make me shake my head are the cases in which an angler is fishing a stream where it was stocked a half hour to an hour earlier while it is still in the process of receiving its preseason stocking a little farther upstream or downstream. Likewise the cases of discovering fishing occurring just as the stocking has been completed and the WCO has doubled back. Before you think it…it’s not limited to a specific gear type.

Last edited:
Ignorance is bliss, when you use it as an excuse...

I still remember confronting another "young buck" on Section 3 of the Perkiomen fishing during the Closed Season...

I confronted him and he said he thought if he released his catch he was in compliance...

Sorry but I'm calling bull$hit....

Take that F'ng $2000 computer that is glued to your hand, read the rules and abide by them...

If you don't, THIS old "F" is ratting your sorry a$$ out to law enforcement... ;)

I am glad you got a chance to educate this young man. There’s always nice people on Ridley .

Something I neglected to mention regarding Ridley Creek, was that I didn't see any signage mentioning "Notice-Stocked Trout Waters", which you usually see posted after a stocking prior to Opening Day.

There's a good size billboard/sign (which I believe Bam is familure with) at the trailhead, which outlines the rules and regulations of Ridley Creek State Park and it's trails. There should have at least been a sign posted on this board. I also didn't see any signs on any of the trees along the stream, mentioning it was recently stocked. It's possible they were there and were torn down, but I pretty much doubt somebody took them all down.
The lack of signs still doesn't excuse "young buck" from not knowing when Opening Day actually was though.

At least the couple wasn't fishing with a jug of bleach and a huge net.

Something I neglected to mention regarding Ridley Creek, was that I didn't see any signage mentioning "Notice-Stocked Trout Waters", which you usually see posted after a stocking prior to Opening Day.

There's a good size billboard/sign (which I believe Bam is familure with) at the trailhead, which outlines the rules and regulations of Ridley Creek State Park and it's trails. There should have at least been a sign posted on this board. I also didn't see any signs on any of the trees along the stream, mentioning it was recently stocked. It's possible they were there and were torn down, but I pretty much doubt somebody took them all down.
The lack of signs still doesn't excuse "young buck" from not knowing when Opening Day actually was though.

The signs were probably ripped down because that area is secluded.

I once ratted out some "young bucks" fishing just upstream of the Gradyville Road bridge when I heard one of them bragging he didn't have a license...

...oops!! ;)

BTW - I'm not positive about this but the DNR Park Rangers may be able to supplement the PFBC signage if you inquired.

The signs were probably ripped down because that area is secluded.
The Park regulations board is anything but secluded. It's only steps away from that parking spot, which sees HEAVY use.
I will say, generally speaking, that Park isn't very well patrolled at all. I've even seen folks on e-bikes on those trails.

I was thinking about about signs on trees upstream of the bridge when I said "secluded" which would be more beneficial than in that lot up the road.

While they are at it, they should mount a couple of signs in plastic and bolt them on the upstream & downstream sides of the bridge too!!

Last edited:
I was thinking about about signs on trees upstream of the bridge when I said "secluded" which would be more beneficial that in that lot up the road.

While they are at it, they should mount a couple of signs in plastic and bolt them on the upstream & downstream sides of the bridge too!!
Gotcha, on the signs upstream. The secured signs would be a good idea.
That place will be a zoo on Opening Day. :)

Last edited:
If it was a young man with a young lady (presumed to be his girlfriend), why was he fishing? At that age, I was more interested in using my other rod than I was interested in creeling mush bellies 😳😁

If it was a young man with a young lady (presumed to be his girlfriend), why was he fishing? At that age, I was more interested in using my other rod than I was interested in creeling mush bellies 😳😁
When I was his age, I was doing both. ;)

I guess being young and dumb is a crime now. Its a shame being a self righteous old curmudgeon isn't an equal crime. I must be the only guy here who was young once. I didn’t know every rule and I suspect most kids don’t either. Good for you for educating the lad with some level of decency and respect. To those suggesting the lad is a heinous poacher, lighten up. Doesn’t sound to me like the kid needed the cops called on him, he simply needed to be informed which he was. Believe it or not, most people are decent people, even those at Ridley creek.

I didn’t know every rule and I suspect most kids don’t either.
In the computer/internet age, there's no reason for ANYBODY to not know the rules. If they're important enough to you, it's simple to learn them.
Good for you for educating the lad with some level of decency and respect.
Thanks. I treated these young people the way I would have wanted to be treated.

Ignorance is bliss, when you use it as an excuse...

I still remember confronting another "young buck" on Section 3 of the Perkiomen fishing during the Closed Season...

I confronted him and he said he thought if he released his catch he was in compliance...

Sorry but I'm calling bull$hit....

Take that F'ng $2000 computer that is glued to your hand, read the rules and abide by them...

If you don't, THIS old "F" is ratting your sorry a$$ out to law enforcement... ;)
I always find it amazing that they have a world of information at their fingertips these days and are "blissfully uneducated."

I guess being young and dumb is a crime now. Its a shame being a self righteous old curmudgeon isn't an equal crime. I must be the only guy here who was young once. I didn’t know every rule and I suspect most kids don’t either. Good for you for educating the lad with some level of decency and respect. To those suggesting the lad is a heinous poacher, lighten up. Doesn’t sound to me like the kid needed the cops called on him, he simply needed to be informed which he was. Believe it or not, most people are decent people, even those at Ridley creek.
The ones who **** me off, are the ones who you do talk to nicely and they choose to mouth off and ignore you, instead of listening. That will result in a call to the WCO. Guess I'm an old curmudgeon in that case. Some might even call me a prick, and I'm OK with that too.

Back