All kinds/Ridley Creek

I've seen a lot of odd stuff in Ridley over the last 20+years. One time, while on my way into my stand site during archery season, I encountered two young people doing the naughty right there in the woods! I heard the sounds associated with this activity. They were just off the trail I had to travel, as it was the only way into where I was hunting. I said "excuse me, I have to get past you folks". Young buck said "give us a minute". They packed up and went on down the trail. Never a dull moment in Ridley. :)
Are you sure they weren't just checking each other for ticks?:oops:

What's important is to observe as many details as possible and give that information to WCO or even leave it as a message because MANY times it's not a one-off violation and the WCO is familiar with the perp...

Case in point - I once observed some POTENTIAL illegal shellfish harvesting at Scott's Run Lake. I called the Regional LE Office and left a message describing the activity and the actors involved.

I got a call back a day later and the WCO was VERY interested and told me he knew all about these folks, was appreciative of the info I provided and that further surveillance was forthcoming. I also found out I could have reported the activity to the Park Rangers... :oops:

I don't know if the activity was illegal, if it was that anyone was caught or fined but I still think WCO's appreciate learning what is going on and who is doing what in their regions, regardless if they can catch violators in the act.

I realize for some it's easier to turn a blind eye but people just ignoring bad or illegal behavior emboldens the slugs and they get away with it over and over again...
There are shellfish in lakes? Are they edible?

The Great Lakes are full of invasive zebra mussels that were flushed out of tanker ballast tanks.
As a kid who liked messing around in water and mud, I would find mussels (we always called them "clams") in just about any body of water with a muddy or sandy bottom. Never tried to eat one though. Since they all filter feed, they may all be full of whatever toxins there are in the water. Around the Chesapeake Bay, it's a common practice to hang a cloth sack filled with oysters and cornmeal in the water to "clean" them out. It may work with mussels, but I'm not interested enough to try.

There are all kinds of shellfish in lakes and I assume they are considered edible (by some) because I'm sure that was the intended purpose of the harvesters, but some are protected species.

What’s your evidence for that comment and how long were the PFBC personnel present?
My evidence? I had kids that were very disappointed that they didn’t get to participate in the macro-invertebrates station. My children’s friends who rode to the event with us also expressed the same disappointment. After speaking to my friends who also had children there, they too noted that their kids were also bummed. Nothing like sitting around for a half an hour instead of participating in a fun and exciting station. Sorry that I didn’t take signed depositions for you.

The WCO stayed for 6 of the 8 stations of the day of the day. We would have been station 7.

My evidence? I had kids that were very disappointed that they didn’t get to participate in the macro-invertebrates station. My children’s friends who rode to the event with us also expressed the same disappointment. After speaking to my friends who also had children there, they too noted that their kids were also bummed. Nothing like sitting around for a half an hour instead of participating in a fun and exciting station. Sorry that I didn’t take signed depositions for you.

The WCO stayed for 6 of the 8 stations of the day of the day. We would have been station 7.
Then you’ll just have to bring the kids to field day near Kutztown on June 8, which is organized by the Berks Fed of Sportsmen. I’ve run the macroinvertebrate station for the past three yrs, will be doing so again, and since I’m not being paid there’s no OT to worry about. The kids really enjoy the station in large part because they get to wade into the adjacent stream to collect a high diversity of critters. Consider my time over the years making up for your WCO’s.

Additionally, since such events around the state are often annual events, you could always just take the kids to the same event again this year. A good number of kids enjoy returning to the Berks event for a second time because they have a lot of fun. I suspect that would be true elsewhere as well.

Last edited:
Back