Steelhead flies

Millertime wrote:

I havent had much success on a single egg personally.

Keep trying. On certain days, my salmon colored single egg is a must on trout. Surprisingly I've caught probably just as many browns as rainbows, even though rainbows are notorious for liking egg patterns. A tandem of that and a nymph has saved me many days on the water.

I think we should have a Great Zug Bug Prince Nymph Experiment if we get a Steelhead Jam together. Rules and Regulations to follow....

I'm claiming my spot on team zug bug.

Captain of team "formerly known as"!

here's one for the lack of tug with the zug! :pint:

That sounds AWESOME. Sign me up for Team:

Attachments

• prince_symbol.jpg
    prince_symbol.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 5
ryguyfi wrote:
Anyone have a preference on egg sizes? Most of mine pictured are on a sz 10 scud hook. I seem to have the most success with that size on steelies. I occasionally go to a sz 14, but usually just change color, not size.

Does size really matter?

I fish typically #18 in clear water, but go up to #10 in murky water. I've just watched them "slide to the side" of a larger egg pattern too many times, so I tie them small...Even with the same leader / tippet, I've been able to catch many of those sliders when going down in size. It's probably just more of a confidence thing...so, throw whatever size catches fish for you!

Don't forget about the caddis pupa, too. I think this is an overlooked option, esp. in clear water for spooky fish. Tan has been my most productive, but green and black have worked for me as well. I've found good #s of caddis on elk and the mile streams.

I'll happily moderate the contest if there is beer involved...Each team has to report to the keg on the top of every hour. The team that catches the most fish (and more importantly...pours me beer with the least head) wins!!!

cant wait for steelie season this year --- I am tying up a bunch of eggs and sucker spawn -- peach sucker spawn was killing it last year

How's everyone's tying coming? I'm up to about 150 steelhead flies. Still hitting the bench though. I plan on going up a few more times this year, so want to be prepared rather than hitting the bench the night before.

It's full. :)

Then again, I have four days of salmon fishing to take care of first. I'll replace the big estaz with more steelie friendly stuff then.

The salmon/steel box:

4KAjS.jpg

And some bunny patterns I've been messing with:
C2JWm.jpg

Lots of the streamers are experimental. If I can zero in on a few that work, I'll fill it up with them instead.

The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades...

I haven't seen that much day-glo since 1987!!

Very nice, JayL...that'll get ya into some fish!!!

Nice ties Jay - I am getting nervous that the #14 eggs i'm tying may be too big. I will post pics later.

I have found that mcfly foam results in a smaller, more compact egg. The 14s I tie with that are equivalent to the 16s I tie with egg yarn. I have 12-18 in there.

The pink headed streamers on the right are interesting. I was reading about flash flies for salmon, so I tied some flies out of nothing but thread, marabou, and flash material. They looked sparse, so I added some orange ostrich herl and then a wool sculpin-like head with egg yarn. I'm going to call it the salmon river sculpin if it works.

McFly foam - got it - I'm using the standard glo-bug yarn

ErnieBall wrote:
Nice ties Jay - I am getting nervous that the #14 eggs i'm tying may be too big. I will post pics later.

Most of mine are 10's... I catch lots of fish on them.

Nice ties Jay. Looks like most of my streamers... not too many match.

What do you find works best up in NY?

Does anyone use the hot glue gun eggs? I've tried these and they work fairly well. Way easier to make then yarn/Mcfly foam.

When you guys are tying these smaller patterns, below 12, what size wire are you using, standard wire? I have been using Tiemco 2457, but never went below #12.

I haven't done too much streamer fishing up there, so it's all experimental. The only streamers I've thrown are small comets and wooly buggers/worms. They were both successful, but dead drifting worked better.

The only problem with dead drifting up there is that you lost hundreds of flies and weights, and you line tons of fish. I tied up about a dozen different bunny and marabou streamers, with at least two of each. I'm going to take my tying stuff and twist up a few of whatever works.

In the past, flesh flies and eggs have been best. The flesh fly is something you probably don't see much of in Erie, but with all the decaying salmon, the steel really key on the meat. I use white marabou and lamb's wool tied sucker spawn style for them.

The big green and pink comets are bruno's work. Thanks again B.

mkoloch-
I don't weight my eggs. Natural eggs are just on the dense side of neutrally bouyant, so I try to get down with shot and tuck casts.

Edit: Thought you were talking about lead. I'm cheap, so I use whatever hooks I have around. They are usually pretty fine, which I think helps to get a more natural drift.

I use a scud hook so they're a bit heavier than a regular nymph hook. Usually 14 is the smallest I fish, but a rare occasion I'll fish an 18.

Never tried the hot glue gun eggs. I can tie up yarn eggs about 12-15 an hour. I've got it down to a science. I also have a system of making my eggs a bit more durable too....

Make thread wraps up and down the whole hook... then put some head cement over all the thread. Wait till it dries then lash on your yarn. Next I take the yarn and bunch it and put some wraps underneath, like tying in a post for a parachute, then take thread to eye, finish and cement.

Yes they look a little bit more like mushrooms than eggs (not too bad though) but they hold up about 10 times longer that way. I had problems with my eggs slipping off the hook after a few fish, and with this system I haven't had that problem yet. I'll take longevity of a fly over it looking "perfect" to me anyday.

I would think the 2457 in the smaller size would be fine.

Some great ideas in here and I'm looking forward to a trip to Erie this year (hopefully).

Think we have time for a quick salmon / steelhead swap before we get into the thick of the season?????

Back