Steelhead flies

ryguyfi wrote:
I tied a few of these up this weekend and tweaked the recipe a bit.

http://ckoflytying.blogspot.com/2012/09/whitedeath.html

Everything's the same, but put some pearl krystal flash under the zonker, only tied the zonker in at the head, and put some olive bucktail overtop of the zonker. I think it needed some color contrast. We'll see how they work

ha ! - i put this exact page on pinterest a week or two ago.

i'm going to tye a bunch of these up for dead drifting and swinging.

These are the emerald shiners I fish in Erie. I call them regurgitated minnows.

Attachments

• IMG_29733864887668.jpeg
    IMG_29733864887668.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 6
I added a few new things to my box for this year.

One is a steeler glo bug.

http://charlesmeck.com/a20060200.html

Also some larger pink san juans with a bead head. Twisted the chenille to make the body thicker.

A few new colors of eggs and tons of my typical nymphs and streamers. Looking forward to hitting the water tomorrow.

ryuguyfi have you ever had the problem on what you where going to use,I have and started to cut back.One box a little of everything.To many choices.Looks like you have it all and in most colors.Nice work.

I recently started tying my own flies and I was goofing around and made 2 "Steeler" colored crystal meth sucker spawns (one side black and the other a yellowish and Ive lost them both to fish last week. Ive been killing it on a Elk hair caddis as my indicator and dropping a nymph with rubber legs size 12 or dropping deep red crystal meth with same indicator. Tying up a bunch tomorrow night for the weekend....we finally got a good rain and creeks should be prime!

I also believe in taking a lot of different sizes and colors. Sucker spawn is good but they see that all day everyday after they have been in the creeks for some time. I think you have to change it up with different flies, sizes and colors to be successful with pressured fish consistently.

I watched a guy crush fish on a single red egg. It looked different than a single egg though and was more of a big ball of yarn that came to a point in the back kind of like a tail. He said that you can "Tie them on the stream" but I haven't been able to duplicate it. Does anyone know the pattern / hook size / yarn? I tried just tying a red single egg and it looks nothing like it. It was probably about a size 6 egg and he was crushing fish in low and clear water with it.

Here are some pictures of my steelhead box.

Attachments

• Steelhead box 1.jpg
    Steelhead box 1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 4
  • Steelhead box 2.jpg
    Steelhead box 2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 4
Back