Signs of Spring

On my trip on Saturday to State College the Juniata River was iced over from the mouth to Lewistown. On my way home Sunday all of the ice was gone. The Susquehanna was still iced over but some of that ice was gone. You could see at the junction the water where the rivers hadn't mixed yet, the side where the J came into the Susquehanna was open water for a few hundred feet the rest was ice. I would expect by mid-week the other ice will be gone.

FarmerDave wrote:
Those of you (Pat) who said awhile back that we have seen the last cold spell for this winter are full of shart.

It will likely be below zero again later this week.

Some of my landscaping has paid the price this winter.

Robins mean nothing. They are around all winter if you go a little deeper in the brush than your back yard.

I'm not declaring winter over until I hear the peepers.

Ironically, I heard them in late fall last year and was wondering what was up with that?
Interesting you mention peepers, Several years ago we heard them out back in early March, then on March 9, there was a snowstorm, and they weren't heard again for a few weeks. I do hear them every fall, but usually just a few.
But the snow is melting, but the snow in the center of the state isn't as much as we've had.

Chaz wrote:

Interesting you mention peepers, Several years ago we heard them out back in early March, then on March 9, there was a snowstorm, and they weren't heard again for a few weeks. I do hear them every fall, but usually just a few.
But the snow is melting, but the snow in the center of the state isn't as much as we've had.

It was only a few for me as well, but it was the first time I ever head them in the fall. As deep as the frost is this year, I'm guessing we won't be hearing the peepers for a couple more weeks.

I was mostly messing with Pat. Most of the snow is now gone at the farm, but still plenty near Cleveland.

Around where I live, the first sign of Spring is the maple sap bag/bucket/tubing bloom and it started full swing last weekend.;-)

Old man winter is just letting us know who's boss one more time (later this week). It will only last for a day.

Spot-on FarmerDave - peepers for me!! I too remember hearing a few last fall.

I saw a large frog getting washed around in the eddy of a deep pool on the stream today. Could not tell if it was drowning or just a very bad swimmer. Maybe it was just cold. Brookies on a different stream were pretty active, along with little black stones and tons of midges. Sooooo close....

FarmerDave wrote:
[/quote] You might have robins in your area year round but I certainly do not, and I do go as you say deeper in the brush. I have NEVER seen a robin here in the winter.[/quote]

Certainly? Exactly how certain are you?

Sure many migrate, but if you live anywhere in PA, chances are there are robins around and closer than you might think.

Don't trust me. Look it up.

Redwing blackbirds are a better predictor of Spring. IMO[/quote]
Well BD, spring has arrived in SEPA with the first Red-winged BB perch at the top of a tree down the road from my house. Possibly a tri-colored BB too. I assume the RWBB was singing.

Best sign of spring yet!

13092555803_fdf4b260c9.jpg

The warmup the last several days has finally thawed out the ground in my yard. And my daffodils have finally sprouted.
I also was able to dig up some of the garden and plant lettuce and spinach this afternoon.

another sign of Spring ? - the main stem of the Brandywine is chocolate milk with run off.

Apparently it is 4 degrees at my house this morning. We did not quite make it below zero, but the wind chill of -5.

Not a sign of Spring. ;-)

Ground had started to thaw and I had a lot of mud, but it's all as hard as a rock now. Normally I would have had spinach and peas planed by now.

Glad to see that someone besides Art is seeing signs of Spring. We are usually a couple weeks behind you guys.

-8 here, flooded pine is a mile wide now instead of 100 feet wide. went from thaw to ice and snow last night. didn't quite make it in the chicken coops. SPRING= maybe June 21st.

I had a wayward bee fly into my cab the other day...Long time no see.

I saw a yellow butterfly this morning. local creeks still up and muddy - Red Clay, White clay etc but the tribs - broad run etc were clear.

No major damage to my little spring creek thankfully - other than some log revetments need to be put back, if anything it looks better after the 'flush'. its so rewarding to see pea gravel where 3 weeks ago there was silt.

Yesterday morning I heard my first woodcock of the spring. Coolest thing was that I was standing on my front porch at first light when I heard it on the property.

Large flocks of early migrating birds, very late, coming through Saucon Valley today. Especially large mixed blackbird flocks.

2 days ago when it was 66 a stink bug was humping my window screen when I had the window open, now he's frozen there in Permahump

I saw a flock of about 30 turkeys yesterday while working in northern Dauphin Co. Four old longbeards were in amongst them struttin' their stuff.

Saw bunch of Robins yesterday. Spring is here,in Florida ,that is. GG

There's winter storm coming Monday.

A large flock of Tundra Swans stopped into the Warren area yesterday on their flight north.

13145992573_7a535bc95d.jpg
[/url][/img]

Attachments

• tundra swans copy.jpeg
    tundra swans copy.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 2
Back