Signs of Spring

Tax Day anxiety begins to set in.

No sign of spring here yet either. I have these little flowers in my yard called snow drops. They come up and bloom in late winter every year - usually in late february or early march.
They haven't even sprouted yet - in fact, the ground is still frozen solid.

At least we change the clocks tomorrow night. The extra hour of daylight in the evening makes it seem like spring to me anyway

Early spring... Skunks dead on the road. As time goes by, you know spring is here when you start see'n two skunks dead on the road together. You'll figure it out.

Buds on the red maples opening and tanks and pvc lines running in the woods for making of maple syrup.

FiveWeight wrote:
Early spring... Skunks dead on the road. As time goes by, you know spring is here when you start see'n two skunks dead on the road together. You'll figure it out.
I'm surprised no one posted this.
Dead Skunk

Chaz wrote:
FiveWeight wrote:
I'm surprised no one posted this.
Dead Skunk

Ha! Good one. I'd forgotten all about that ol tune. LoL!!

I saw a fox roaming around which is rare and the it grabbed something out of a hole and ate it

a cloud of red shouldered blackbirds have been in our trees for a week.

When I start hearing the peeper frogs it is the official end of winters grip.I live right on the Brandywine and last year the first evening I heard them was feb. 27th.Needless to say,this year is late,but this coming week's weather looks promising!Nothing better than sitting on the porch in the evening with an adult beverage after a long winter and listening to their sweet chorus.

I saw water boatmen on the pools in my back yard creek, does that count.

Springtime view of Lake Wallenpaupack up here in Northeastern PA.

Attachments

• Lake Wallenpaupack.jpg
    Lake Wallenpaupack.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 2
We're on our second warm spell and the yard is still all white. Spring? Bah humbug! Death to the groundhog.

I was working on restoring my back yard creek again today - although not as warm, I saw two small stoneflies and in the deep culvet pool I saw a few #22 olives come off.

Under the stones I saw some cased caddis and in the stone moss where I expected to see scuds there was nothing moving.

Water temp was 40F which I'm sure was down to snow melt - there was some green clover weed pushing up in the riffle sections, and some kind of large wrapped leaf thing pushing up on the creek banks here and there.

The thorny vines were also showing some growth and the Deer were out in the late afternoon sun grazing the newly open fields . Hopefully they will no longer need to browse in the creek and the bank work I repaired will get a chance to bed in and the meanders and undercuts develop further.

I guess spring is still two weeks away ?

I just saw my first sign of spring today, a flock of robins! It can't be long now. This has been a long winter.

Here in Venangoland, it still looks more like mid February than early March. My brother's pond has about a foot of ice on it. The extended and severe cold sent most of the birds south. We haven't had crows or blackbirds for about 2 months. Just today, for the 1st time, I saw a flock of robins. I don't know what they were eating. The ecosystem is still in deep winter up here with ice on the rivers and streams. When that comes off and the ground isn't covered everywhere with snow, then signs of spring can emerge.

Those of you (Pat) who said awhile back that we have seen the last cold spell for this winter are full of shart.

It will likely be below zero again later this week.

Some of my landscaping has paid the price this winter.

Robins mean nothing. They are around all winter if you go a little deeper in the brush than your back yard.

I'm not declaring winter over until I hear the peepers.

Ironically, I heard them in late fall last year and was wondering what was up with that?

FarmerDave wrote:
Those of you (Pat) who said awhile back that we have seen the last cold spell for this winter are full of shart.

Robins mean nothing. They are around all winter if you go a little deeper in the brush than your back yard.

Ironically, I heard them in late fall last year and was wondering what was up with that?
You might have robins in your area year round but I certainly do not, and I do go as you say deeper in the brush. I have NEVER seen a robin here in the winter.

calling for a foot of snow where i live on wednesday so spring is pretty far off IMO.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

You might have robins in your area year round but I certainly do not, and I do go as you say deeper in the brush. I have NEVER seen a robin here in the winter.

Certainly? Exactly how certain are you?

Sure many migrate, but if you live anywhere in PA, chances are there are robins around and closer than you might think.

Don't trust me. Look it up.

Redwing blackbirds are a better predictor of Spring. IMO

Back