seen anything strange, wierd, or creepy while flyfishing in pa

3 years ago during the Little J clean-up day I found:

An adult DVD- Monsters of Rock (cept it wasnt rock but it rhymed with rock)

10 minutes later I found 3 hypodermic needles.

Few minutes later I found a razor sharp arrow.

And (no kidding) a rubber ducky!

Lastly- I was pulling trash off a steep hillside and grabbed a bag and it was deteriorated enough to where the bag broke away and a deer skull and bones and rotting flesh rolled out- aggghh! Found two or three more of those bags too- gross!

only fish pa once....

seen a flyfisherman snagging steelhead with 2 flys tied to his leader...

dude really thought he was hooking them legit....,.

trust mne, the machine knows all about snagga roo!!!!!

hope he see s the truth but somehow doubt it...

why do not pa outlaw the silly crap? seriously weak fishing skill...

why do not pa outlaw the silly crap?

We do. Illegal to intentionally snag fish. If accidently snagged, fish must be released immediately.

Saw an albino native brookie once. It was about 6 inches long. I thought it was a hallucination for some reason but my friend saw it too.

Oh yeah one more I was fishing a dropper on spring creek and missed a fish. The rig went into a tree and i popped it right out. There was a clump of something on the nymph. I grabbed it and went to take it off and realized it was a dead, partly rotten brown bat.

dryflyguy wrote:
I was fishing the yough a few years, when a helicopter flew upstream at a very low altitude. It was so low, that I could feel the downward air surge as it passed over me. It then stopped a few hundred yards upstream of me, and dumped some kind of fluid in the river. Then continued upstream.
There is a military air base in the area, and I'm guessing that it was some kind of training maneuver.

Just this past summer, I finally got the nerve to stop in the Halton Hilton while fishing the clarion river. One strange experience!

Spraying for black flies. They dump a bunch of chemicals in the water and it's supposed to kill the BF larva. Like that's gotta be safe for the other bugs...

I've been almost hit by this twice on Neshannock. The first time they dumped within 75yds or so of me, the second time they were much closer and must have seen me because they didn't release and took off farther upstream. I don't think it is the military in charge of the spraying. Maybe the DCNR?

Kev

I was river fishin once with big spinning gear, heaving these lures way out there at night fishin for walleye. As the line came up (lure still in the water), looked like a leaf on there. Reached out and grabbed it, and it was furry! A bat had hit the line in the air, tangled itself, then got drowned.

Of course, I stopped, put it down, and pulled the bat off before trying to reel in further, by which time the lure had snagged up good, I lost half my line, and was pretty much done fishin for the night. Luckily, my gf at the time was with me, so I wasn't left without something to do. :O

Was fishing at Alenberry early this fall and saw and egret trying to swallow a rainbow, all of a sudden it started to fly towards me then I realized a mink was after the egret or the trout or both. Wasn’t sure it was a mink at first but after it chased the egret it came up stream to within 20 feet of me.

I had a blue heron take a fish which was on my line in the Tully. I won a short aerial battle of tug of war, and released the fish unharmed.

Years ago (teenage years), I also had a hawk swoop and miss a rabbit when rabbit hunting. Dog jumped it and was tracking it, ran it out into a field. I shot and missed. Hawk dove and missed. Rabbit went into the woods, where the dog lost it. Dang thing had a dog, human, and hawk trying to kill it and evaded us all!

PennKev wrote:
dryflyguy wrote:
I was fishing the yough a few years, when a helicopter flew upstream at a very low altitude. It was so low, that I could feel the downward air surge as it passed over me. It then stopped a few hundred yards upstream of me, and dumped some kind of fluid in the river. Then continued upstream.
There is a military air base in the area, and I'm guessing that it was some kind of training maneuver.

Just this past summer, I finally got the nerve to stop in the Halton Hilton while fishing the clarion river. One strange experience!

Spraying for black flies. They dump a bunch of chemicals in the water and it's supposed to kill the BF larva. Like that's gotta be safe for the other bugs...

I've been almost hit by this twice on Neshannock. The first time they dumped within 75yds or so of me, the second time they were much closer and must have seen me because they didn't release and took off farther upstream. I don't think it is the military in charge of the spraying. Maybe the DCNR?

Kev

Pennkev -

The spot I was fishing is about 4 miles upstream of the connellsville water supply dam. Would seem really crazy to dump insecticide in the river there?

I thought at the time that maybe it was a training to douse a wildfire or something

A few years back I pulled a guy out of the Yough. He just dived head first from High Bridge in Ohiopyle. 105 feet from the deck to the water. Got him to shore,still hanging on to me he said" You know i cant do anything right today, i cant even kill myself. Have carried a 357 ever since.

That's crazy, Tomb.

I stumbled across an adult movie being filmed once @ Lebanon reservoir on the dam walkway, two blonde women, was a good day.

Saw one of those sparrow hawks attacking a raccoon and trying to fly away with it, that was pretty amusing.

On Big Pine this spring was in a march brown hatch and managed to snag two duns on my fly while picking my line off the water.

And this spring @ the reservoir my friend and I were walking back the railroad bed and saw a guy ahead of us on his bike pounding a bottle of wine.. lost his balance and went down the bank into the water. We helped him out and only then I noticed that it was my dads best friend who I also knew. :lol:

Some pretty cool stories. I have knocked Birds into the river all summer while casting. Some kind of rare Egyptian bird or something. I have to throw them in the air after to get them to fly. Its kinda cool, i feel like a magician.

http://yfrog.com/afbirdatriverj

Parents friends were boating at Pymatuning Here in PA. She looked over the boat and seen a body floating with its eyes all messed up. I dont think I could handle that.

My Dad was gardening over the summer and found this. My neighbor fishes also and I guess an animal brought it into my dads garden from his house.

http://yfrog.com/5rfoundinbackyardgrasscutj

Pennkev -

The spot I was fishing is about 4 miles upstream of the connellsville water supply dam. Would seem really crazy to dump insecticide in the river there?

I thought at the time that maybe it was a training to douse a wildfire or something

Yough's on the list to get sprayed....

Blackfly Article

This article also explains what exactly they spray with. Doesn't sound as bad as it could be. It looks like the DEP is in charge of the spraying.

Kev

tomb wrote:
. Have carried a 357 ever since.

What, to finish 'em off?

Once on the connie i was fly fishing for small mouths and saw a groundhog standing 10 feet away from me. It was staring at me for 10 minutes. I cam back 2 weeks later and saw bones haha

I love these threads!

1stfly, a while back there was an article about feet in shoes being found all over the Pacific Northwest, hope they're not going to start turning up in PA:

http://outsideonline.com/culture/200910/feet-british-columbia-crime-mystery-1.html

jayL wrote:
Pennsylvania, in the United States, operates the largest single black fly control program in North America. The program is seen as beneficial to both the quality of life for residents and to the state's tourism industry.

Waste.

Of.

Money.

On a side note, there is a section of the book "Micropatterns" devoted to black flies and their imitations.

Kev

Pennkev -

Pretty interesting. So, a state that has serious budgeting problems is spending 6.8 million dollars spraying blackflies. Amazing.

Tomb -

I would nominate your encounter on the yough with the potential suicide victim, as the strangest encounter story so far. Just wondering - did you start fishing again afterward?

Back