Salmon River

My buddy sent me a picture of the reservoir yesterday. There is barely any water and dry in places it should by 6 ft deep. Crap is gonna get bad up there. I will more then likely be fishing the lake trolling if they don't get major rain.

Kings have been coming in recently. Not the big run, but hopefully it will come in the next 3 weeks. 36 days left... I can't wait!

Good luck with that mess if you don't get any major rain events.

I was up over labor day weekend and the reservoir was 12' below average pool. It's pretty bad.

The lake is "on fire" with people limiting out by 10 am quite often. Only problem is the 6' waves.

fish the shoreline with a fly rod, you'll get them..

Apparently yesterday was "The Day" on the DSR.

http://www.douglastonsalmonrun.com/blog

4 weeks left!

So was today.

Here we go with the mud shark crap again. LOL. Typically, the SR equals... a-holes.... elbow to elbow fishing with a-holes.... sharing fly shop / diner / lodging with more a-holes.... etc.

I like to wait until they turn black and their fins start coming off. You can catch them by hand, pop a fly in their mouth and then kick them back into the river.... FISH ON!!!!

I've been up a few times in Nov and Dec for steelies. Understood it, caught fish but still don't quite "get it". It really wasn't that great IMO. Enjoy your flossin and snagging. I did have 2 very memorable moments up there though. Watching TimY formerly from the forum cross the river in December. 1200 cfs, 26 degree air temp and 34 degree water temp... now you see him.... now you don't. Completely under and swept away above the compactor pool. Also enjoyed unknown angler climbing over log jam only to lose his balance and go down face first in a 3' thick pile of rotting salmon that had turned to gel. Yes, he was dry heaving as he walked out of site.

krayfish wrote:
Here we go with the mud shark crap again. LOL. Typically, the SR equals... a-holes.... elbow to elbow fishing with a-holes.... sharing fly shop / diner / lodging with more a-holes.... etc.

I like to wait until they turn black and their fins start coming off. You can catch them by hand, pop a fly in their mouth and then kick them back into the river.... FISH ON!!!!

I've been up a few times in Nov and Dec for steelies. Understood it, caught fish but still don't quite "get it". It really wasn't that great IMO. Enjoy your flossin and snagging. I did have 2 very memorable moments up there though. Watching TimY formerly from the forum cross the river in December. 1200 cfs, 26 degree air temp and 34 degree water temp... now you see him.... now you don't. Completely under and swept away above the compactor pool. Also enjoyed unknown angler climbing over log jam only to lose his balance and go down face first in a 3' thick pile of rotting salmon that had turned to gel. Yes, he was dry heaving as he walked out of site.

I was wondering about what happened to TimY....:-o

He moved to Chicago with his extremely hot wife. He just emailed me earlier this week about making a trip back here to fish in the fall. He just found out that he's going to be a daddy too.

I forgot there is not internet in Chicago! The teacher shut it down as well! lol

I don't know Tim, so ignore me.....like usual.lol

Done

When does the action start? Are we meeting at a certain location.....I want to join in!! With gas prices the way they are - is anyone carpooling up? I'm in Philadelphia.

Its going on now, fish in the river and a billion snaggers on the banks.

I don't think anybody has considered a Salmon River JAM. However, if you are looking to go up, just post when you want to go and that you want to see if anybody else is interested. My schedule is pretty crazy right now, so I can not commit to anything. I WAS looking to go up the weekend after Columbus day, but I am not sure.

Mud shark madness from now through end of Oct. Fishing pressure much lighter in Nov and then you are looking more at steelhead and browns unless you go to the upper sections. The steelhead continue through Apr. Steelheading is awesome.....meh

I'd make myself available anytime weekend or weekday. I'm not saying I'd call in sick....I got vacation time available. I think the weekday would probably be best (less people on the river). Getting up at 3 in the morning is no problem for me - I've driven to Freesoil MI starting at that time. I can be reached at 267-338-8753 (call or text).

Penny,

One quick suggestion if you can pull it off. Leave the night before and grab a room. If there is any flow in the river, fishing it all day will wear you out. That would be too long of a day (I did it your way the last 2 years.... suicide steelhead run). Brenda's or Cannon's are 2 cheap places and are only 1/4 mile from the SR. Even if you got up above the PA /NY line. It would make things easier and there's some fairly heavy morning rush around Syarcuse that you'll want to miss.

Thanks Krayfish....I will take your advice sincerely.

krayfish wrote:
Penny,

One quick suggestion if you can pull it off. Leave the night before and grab a room. If there is any flow in the river, fishing it all day will wear you out. That would be too long of a day (I did it your way the last 2 years.... suicide steelhead run). Brenda's or Cannon's are 2 cheap places and are only 1/4 mile from the SR. Even if you got up above the PA /NY line. It would make things easier and there's some fairly heavy morning rush around Syarcuse that you'll want to miss.

I second that...I've done a few solo suicide runs and it can get scary on the way home. Too much caffiene and you can start seeing stuff

SBecker wrote:
Its going on now, fish in the river and a billion snaggers on the banks.

I don't think anybody has considered a Salmon River JAM. However, if you are looking to go up, just post when you want to go and that you want to see if anybody else is interested. My schedule is pretty crazy right now, so I can not commit to anything. I WAS looking to go up the weekend after Columbus day, but I am not sure.

There's some "JAMs" run through other sites...I will be up there on Oct 14-15 and Veterans weekend for sure. Might put in some other trips depending on how the salt goes this year...kinda struck out on both last year

Back