Salmon River

Yes the salmons will hit flies at times...your best bet is when they're fresh but they're more aggressive and haven't been through the gauntlet of lead chuckers. DSR is a good bet but once they make it above staircase its probably less likely...

There's a lot more lining/flossing going on that some people realize, this goes for steel as well. If you go to the Altmar bend during season the liners are all lined up and they have it down to a science...plunk-swing, plunk-swing, etc-->someone's hooked every 10 mins at most

DSR went up to $50 a day this year FYI.

Damn that's crazy... How's the dcnr up there? They gotta stop people from doing that, cuz it's gotta be fairly obvious if their hooking/snagging fish that often. I'm excited to get up there this year. Not sure about paying $50 a day, but I'll be sure to find a trib or two that has a little less pressure. Thanks agin for the insight fellas

Guide on the DSR gave Tim Robinson a 15 minute lesson on how not to floss fish last year on stream...

$50/day???!!!!! Wow, I remember back when it was $10/day for DSR, either that was a bargain, or this is a rip-off, or both, I vote for both.

They have a certain level of usership that maximizes profits. This must be the easiest supply/demand curve ever plotted. If they can count, that is.

I fish way up stream on the SR with flies and catch plenty of fish hooked IN the mouth on the near side.As was mentioned before COLOR is very important as they,for whatever reason,hit certain color on one day and the next day it might be a different color.I carry hundreds of flies in a variety of colors.
I have n't fished the DSR in many years,$50/day is too much for me.

the dsr is the nys version of beaver. barclay exploited the resource very similar to beaver, except he packs more people in and charges less. the dsr does very little if anything for the overall fishery, important spawning areas are in tribs and way upstream. charging people 50 dollars to catcr fish stocked by the state is a joke. I wouldnt go there if it cost 5 bucks out of principle. there are other places in the river to get bright fish. with that being said, it is a great stretch of water and if you aredriving 6 hours to fish what's another 50$?

IMO, the DSR is the only place to fish early in the run. Some biotch about Barclay, but he could just post his property and not let anyone fish.I used to fish there when it was free and now I pay whatever it costs. There are still some idiots fishing the DSR, but there are more upstream.

the property isnt all barclays... he leases the rights from other land owners. he did not do this to protect or enhance the fishery, he did it to make money. if he would come out and say this, id feel better about him, and maybe even pay to fish. the same thing is happening in altmar just downstream of the lfz, this is good water but doesn't hold a candle to the dsr imo. I dont blame or judge anyone for fishing the dsr ( lots of people make a 5+ hour trip, what's 50$ more to fish the best water), but barclay is a pos.. come right out and say you are charging for access to make money, dont do it under the guise of conservation.

Back