PFBC Fall stocking: angler feedback

I don't often criticize the PFBC, but I will offer this:

The PFBC needs to use its regulations to encourage and inspire the recreational usage of our streams. I learned to fish for trout in the Fall, encouraged by DHALO stockings, and this in turn caused me to experiment with the fly rod. Prior to this revelation, I thought trout were all stocked in PA and that you had a window of a few weeks to hunt for them. As a result of the Fall DHALO stockings, I have become a more conscientious user of our cool water resources.

More of this.

Stop stocking so many lakes and out the fish in streams for the fall.

I am not understanding the significance of the amount of anglers the weekend after the stocking occurred. I was under the impression the stockings were to provide fishing throughout the fall and winter months, not just a few weeks after. My TU chapter stocks a stream the 3rd week in November and we fish it all winter. I also fish a lot of SEPA fall stocked streams through out the winter months and see plenty of anglers on the stream on warmer winter days. I am sure there is a reason the amount of anglers the weekend after a stocking is important I just don't understand it. Was this the reason the wissahickon was removed from the fall stocking program?

JackM wrote:
I don't often criticize the PFBC, but I will offer this:

The PFBC needs to use its regulations to encourage and inspire the recreational usage of our streams. I learned to fish for trout in the Fall, encouraged by DHALO stockings, and this in turn caused me to experiment with the fly rod. Prior to this revelation, I thought trout were all stocked in PA and that you had a window of a few weeks to hunt for them. As a result of the Fall DHALO stockings, I have become a more conscientious user of our cool water resources.

More of this.

I could tell the same story. For years all we did was fish opening weekend and a few times during the summer and stumbled upon the DHALO regs and all those places we could travel around to in the fall to fish for trout.

The F&BC is clearly not interested in providing more trout fishing opportunities in PA. They just want to have that one big Derby in Spring...and turn all the fish for fun places in PA into fish markets.

Its sad really.

Resource First? yeah right.

"Everyone's schedule is different week to week." Statistically, that does not make any difference. An equal number of anglers who could not be on the streams on the first weekend might be there the second or third weekend. Meanwhile, anglers who could be there the first weekend might not be there the second or third weekend because their schedule did not allow it. For most anglers, however, there is generally a greater incentive to be there on the first weekend after stocking. If they can't make it then or on the day of the stocking, or the day after, they just don't bother to fish.

Very big assumption and largely incorrect. I know tons of anglers whom fish when they can . I dunno where , why or how you came to this conclusion. Sportsman do the outdoors when they can, it's in our blood, I'm not sure if you really understand this.

IMO the reality is the PFBC wants to spend less money and will use any excuse to do so including making excuses why they stock less fish.

I could tell the same story. For years all we did was fish opening weekend and a few times during the summer and stumbled upon the DHALO regs and all those places we could travel around to in the fall to fish for trout.

The F&BC is clearly not interested in providing more trout fishing opportunities in PA. They just want to have that one big Derby in Spring...and turn all the fish for fun places in PA into fish markets.

Agreed. They have created a Spring blitz, and are now reinforcing it further. It's unnatural, businesslike, structured, scheduled and a mentally unhealthy tradition that reinforces "getting my fee's worth of fish". They need to instead reinforce appreciation and respect for the outdoors and wildlife by simply periodically stocking when water temps are healthy and creating /reinforcing a year around activity.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
"Everyone's schedule is different week to week." Statistically, that does not make any difference. An equal number of anglers who could not be on the streams on the first weekend might be there the second or third weekend. Meanwhile, anglers who could be there the first weekend might not be there the second or third weekend because their schedule did not allow it. For most anglers, however, there is generally a greater incentive to be there on the first weekend after stocking. If they can't make it then or on the day of the stocking, or the day after, they just don't bother to fish.

Very big assumption and largely incorrect. I know tons of anglers whom fish when they can . I dunno where , why or how you came to this conclusion. Sportsman do the outdoors when they can, it's in our blood, I'm not sure if you really understand this.

To quote sals quote in bold and expand on it...i agree with Sal and would go further to say that I PREFER to wait until at least a week to fish for stockies until the acclimate to their new digs...so what Mickey is saying is that they want us to justify the stocking like truck chasing creel fillers when we are not allowed to harvest fish...

Ya see mickey...here is a clue, we dont have to "get there" before they are gone in the fall because the fish last til spring...so the anglers dont feel pressure like its opening day. So why would you judge their worth like they are going to waste after a few weeks?

Deer hunters complain that there are not enough deer but they shoot the does. The Fish Commission has falling revenues but it allows a large number of anglers pay a small fee once and then never have to pay again. Go figure! To increase Fall stockings, we should eliminate the senior license. Seniors are the group with the largest amount of disposable income. Many spent a fortune on fancy rods, reels, and waders. The cost of a license should not be a burden if they really enjoy trout fishing. I write as a senior with said license. Trout fishing is my vice and the enjoyment I've received from it is tremendous. I want to pursue it as long as I am able and I want it to be there for me. A yearly license is to me a small price to play for all the joy fishing brings. I do not feel "entitled" having reached a certain age. Just one opinion.

Are you suggesting we shoot seniors?

Seems reasonable.

In economics everything has a cost. There is no such thing as a free lunch. Less revenue, fewer fish. You get what you pay for.

InCahoots wrote:
In economics everything has a cost. There is no such thing as a free lunch. Less revenue, fewer fish. You get what you pay for.

Not in this case, IMO. The anglers that only fish in the spring for freshly stocked fish are getting what they pay for since 98% of the stocking is done for the early April opener though early May. Therefore he anglers that fish for trout the other 11 months of the year are not getting what they paid for.

I do realize that the budget is tight for the FBC, but saving money by stocking for the opener and a few weeks following is short changing the many anglers that buy a license and trout stamp, but don't fish the early season.

Making it worse, there are now far fewer stocking dates and far fewer stocking points. This concentrates the fish and the fishing making for a rodeo atmosphere when the white trucks arrive.

IMO, since there are fewer fish, the FBC should look more to encourage C&R rather than harvest and focus more on the SR areas.

After all, right now there are 5 trout stocked in streams by the FBC for every angler that buys a trout stamp! Ya think things should be spread out so everyone can enjoy some fishin'!

gfen wrote:

Are you suggesting we shoot seniors?

Seems reasonable.

Sober up and dry out. The shakes and flashbacks should subside within a week.

http://fishandboat.com/licsal2.htm

Study this chart. Senior lifetime license sales are NOT the problem.
From the 90's to now, senior lifetime is only up a few thousand while resident is down around 100000-200000.
Non resident down around 30000.

But! Total revenue is the highest it's ever been and total sales are up .81%.
Fish are just more expensive now.
Facts don't lie, lifetime seniors are not to blame.
Xbox 360 stealing our youth and cost of fish are.

PFBC wake up because in 10 years or so expect a continuation of the downward tend in resident sales and more expensive fish.
Read what afish posted. Promote C&R and focus on SR areas. Your days of 1st day rodeo harvesting madness are all but over.

I said this over 10 years ago on here and was laughed at, seems it's coming to reality.

Afishinado, I agree anglers who fish in the Fall are being shortchanged. Unfortunately prime time for most is May and June. Greatest good for the greatest number isn't always fair. Declining revenue is the problem and the solution is not to raise the price of a license. That will only reduce demand for licenses. My suggestion is that everyone who uses the resource pay their fair share.

Not in this case, IMO. The anglers that only fish in the spring for freshly stocked fish are getting what they pay for since 98% of the stocking is done for the early April opener though early May. Therefore he anglers that fish for trout the other 11 months of the year are not getting what they paid for.

Amen! I'll even go further to say that wild trout enthusiast that are forced to buy the stamp are helping to support the spring time anglers rodeos.

Things gotta change.

Revenue is the highest it's ever been it's FAR from declining.

Even if you scroll down and look directly at the trout stamp purchases, revenue is still at it's highest and yet trout stamps are down around 15 percent from the 90's.

# Beginning in 2013, includes sales of Multi-Year Licenses and Permits. Revenue from Multi-year licenses and permits sales were collected at the time of sale.
Only revenue from the current license year is applied to the current fiscal year. Revenue from additional years is deposited as money collected in advance.

PFBC wake up because in 10 years or so expect a continuation of the downward tend in resident sales and more expensive fish.
Read what afish posted. Promote C&R and focus on SR areas. Your days of 1st day rodeo harvesting madness are all but over.
Bingo. .... but I wonder if the commercial /retail pressures to sustain an annual "spring kickoff" in fishing equipment sales tied to the opening of trout season has as much impact on these decisions as anything else.

InCahoots wrote:
Afishinado, I agree anglers who fish in the Fall are being shortchanged. Unfortunately prime time for most is May and June. Greatest good for the greatest number isn't always fair. Declining revenue is the problem and the solution is not to raise the price of a license. That will only reduce demand for licenses. My suggestion is that everyone who uses the resource pay their fair share.

My suggestion is everyone who uses the resource get their fair share.

Okay, if prime time is May and June, checking out the stocking schedules, the bulk of the stocking is done for the early April opening and the first week or two into the season. By May, the fish are picked through pretty thoroughly since most are stocked in a few well known and heavily fished places.

Anyway, limited funds and fewer fish to stock are a reality. My main point is how to fairly allocate the limited amount of stocked fish so all trout anglers that buy a license and trout stamp can enjoy fishing for them.

To me, instead of saying that 75%, of the anglers fish in the crowded early season, which is the majority, than all the fish will be allocated to accommodate the majority.

A more fair allocation would 75% of the fish should be stocked for the early season and 25% should be stocked later in the spring season (in streams that don't warm too quickly) and in the fall, when water temps drop.

Also, Class A's hold more than enough fish to provide an enjoyable outing, no need to stock. Allocate the stocked fish in the waters that have little or no natural reproduction. This would spread out both the fish and fishing and would make for a more quality experience for everyone.

Back