Lessons Learned

I don't agree that flyfishing makes you more patient. I'm very very easy to "set off" away from the water.

I get extremely focused on the creek with ff. It's my O.C.D. kickin in. I get tunnel vision with the whole process of castin mending drifts ect...I actually have to make myself take a second and enjoy the suroundings. The whole process is enjoyable but I feel I miss some of the fishing "experience". Thats why I stop to make time to enjoy the water, the friends, fish and the other fishers you meet along the way. Thats what ff is really about.

When you finish... do not pass go.... do not collect $200... don't take your waders off... DO NOTHING until you put your rod and reel back in the car!

I can tell you this as my buddy and I shared the sick feeling of driving down the road having left two rigs on the roof of his truck... needless to say, we were NOT happy.

It is impossible to practice casting, during the winter, indoors, in a room with 8 foot ceilings with a 9 foot rod.

Do not sneeze, cough, or sing Led Zepplin while there is a desk full of feathers, fur, and hair in front of you.

Bring two or three rods, I most definatly agree with.

Not only fish like green weenies, so do dogs.

Yes fishing alone is more peaceful, but there is no comradery or commpetition.

If there is no TP the order of operation goes - cut Sleeves first then boxers, then socks ....... never socks first !

water, food, & smokes are essential to survival...... (smokers will understand)

fish your way out to the area you want to stand to fish, you'd be surprised

Always keep a couple of band-aids in your vest and a first aid kit in the car. Patch yourself up and keep fishing! :)

Another good use for band-aids is to prevent cracking of cuticles in the winter. Before heading to the stream, put a band-aid on a finger that you know will crack and bleed with exposure.

Keep your cell phone in a zip lock baggie. It's not water proof, but it will protect it if you take a swim and get out of the water quickly. Saved me more than once. Cell phones have a little sticker on the battery or inside them that turns from white to red if exposed to water. They will know if you got it wet, you can't lie about it.

Beavers are more scared of you, no matter how big they are. Quote

have one tail slap about 3 am and you will need a change of underwear.

Spare outfits,both fishing and clothing.Getting wet from falling in and or rain can be dangerous,hypothermia.
An old piece of carpet to stand on while putting on waders will save getting tears or holes in them.
Leave a written plan of where you will be fishing and what time you expect to be home at home before you venture out.Also who you will be with,phone numbers etc.
Ziplock bags ,good for cameras,cell phones and generally keepin "stuff" dry.Bungy cords come in hand as well.
Wet gear in a plastic tub will keep yuur vehicle dry inside.

Back