Lessons Learned

Jack I just had dinner four times in three hours. You're killing me here.

I think 4 dinners in 3 hours that I didn't cook are heaven! LOL !! Stop the clock! Maurice, please just write me a note for why I shouldn't go to work.

If it were spring: Wetnet cannot be at work today due to a caddis hatch. She stinks at top water retrieves so due to her low self asteem she needs the day off to practice. :)

wetnet wrote:
I think 4 dinners in 3 hours that I didn't cook are heaven! LOL !! Stop the clock! Maurice, please just write me a note for why I shouldn't go to work.

If it were spring: Wetnet cannot be at work today due to a caddis hatch. She stinks at top water retrieves so due to her low self asteem she needs the day off to practice. :)

Phew! You must be tired! We're back to yesterday and so far I'm counting eleven dinners and seven lunches. Perhaps if you invite Jack over for "brunch", he may get this right. At this rate, Thanksgiving dinner will be dogs and burgers on the grill in about nine months. :)

wild if u make the first butt section out of maxima chameleon 25lb then go down to 15 or 20 lb u will never need to worry about your butt section again , then go down to a tippet ring , then your tippet is all u break off

JackM wrote:
Now I had to set it to GMT +11 to get it right.

WTH?

Are you Billy Pilgrim?

osprey wrote:
If you flub a cast don't yank it back out of there , you might be in for a surprise.

True story...let it die like a bug under my shoe. Then pick it up and start again.

I call these collapsed casts. It's important to know when you lost it....otherwise, you may lose it trying to untangle the mess you've made.

re: the earlier page 1 discussion on how to poop in the woods- maybe it's because I'm skinny, but I've found that the "crab" posture works best, and allows the most clearance.

barbless wrote:
....I've found that the "crab" posture works best, and allows the most clearance.

Thanks for the visual.

Well, there's the mind's eye for you.

I assure you, I have no intention of posting photos of the procedure, or even a diagram.

I got a visual for ya , one of my hunting friends wears a hooded one piece , coverall , jumpsuit , camo , type article of clothing and after his "crab" session had a lil buddy in his hood next to his ear. HELLO THERE!!!!!

JackM wrote:
barbless wrote:
....I've found that the "crab" posture works best, and allows the most clearance.

Thanks for the visual.

I think we should get Jake to MS Paint us a visual.

Well this thread has turned to s**t :lol:

PaulG

PaulG wrote:
Well this thread has turned to s**t :lol:

PaulG

It's generally the least common denominator

Explain to your wife that you will be receiving pink condoms in the mail in order to tie Vladi Worms versus letting her find them on your desk. This move would hedge many questions and inquiries.

MO , it's obvious you've had it haqppen too LOL .............PaulG , that post was too funny man.

So to get this thread back on track...;-)

Everyone has covered all of the practical things...so I'll add some big picture lessons I have learned.

1. Fly fishing has made me a much more patient person

2. Along the lines of patience, fly fishing has made me a much more patient fisherman.

3. I find that a good day on the water does not always mean bringing a fish to hand every few casts

4. Experimentation will catch fish. Don't always be preoccupied with matching the hatch. For example, I went to the Gunpowder the other day...only had about an hour and a half to fish. I started out with something that always takes fish on the Gun...a small BHFBPT. I landed a fish on my 3rd and 5th casts. Two fish in hand, and had not even smoked half of my cigar yet! I saw some fish rising, but didn't see anything in the air except midges. I had a BWO emerger pattern I had tied recently and figured I would give it a shot. Wouldn't you know it...fish on!

5. What they say about tying is all true...much more rewarding to take fish on flies you tied yourself.

Well , i agree wholeheartedly with #3 ,4 , n 5 but the part about patience is a little different than i thought , i listened to folks go on for years about how patient i was and flyfishin g is sooooo patient , uhhhhhh after doin it for 50 years it's not patience , it's obsession , OBSESSION!!!! I'm plaguerizing something i read once but it is definately , in the end more about obsession than patience fror me.

Osprey, I don't think your the only one here with that problem...........problem what problem? I'm not obsessed really I'm not. LOL! Yea right!

I am totally obsessed. I yelp even with a small fish. I want to be better with every cast.

As far as the lesson learned. I've learned to enjoy the unexpected.

When you hook a branch and you tug it loose and the fly hits the water and SNAP!

I always keep a key hidden on my car. MUST HAVE. Hiking back to civilization in wet wading boots is a bummer.

Beavers are more scared of you, no matter how big they are.

Get out of the stream before you use your cell phone.

Back