Jam "stories"

A lot of mention about the Steelie Jam on here. I'll have to make sure we get that booked this year.

IT'S ON FREDERICK!!!

Those stocked fish still draw people.... or it's my secret weapon.

http://www.orams.com/menu.htm

Had a blast at this year's JAM. Got to see a bunch of friends and met some new ones. Tons of good food, stories, and drink. We even fished a little too. Thanks to everyone that helps set this up. It is a great time.

oh, and special thanks to Shakey for the quick guitar lesson on Sunday morning. That was very cool of you. I even got out one of my glass slides yesterday.

Here are some pics,

csoult on Penns
csoult.jpg

picked up a few hitchhikers after dark
gd1.jpg

gd2.jpg

The raffle was great. FI's painting was amazing. I'd like to get one for myself.
IMG_1171640x512.jpg

Spring Creek
Alby.jpg

Boyer.jpg

leakywaders.jpg

Impromptu lawn casting session on Sunday
"tight loops" Tocar
tocar.jpg

glassnboo.jpg

ryguyfi wrote:
A lot of mention about the Steelie Jam on here. I'll have to make sure we get that booked this year.

IT'S ON FREDERICK!!!

Sorry but I already have the 11th of november booked

I don't know where to even place my highlights of the jam.

Frankly, there were too many but here are a few:

Meeting JackM and Gfen for the first time. Exactly what I expected and not at all what I expected :lol:

Watching a Sasquatch fish Spring for the first time. I've gotten to take this guy, whom has been fishing for awhile, to some pretty darn good wild trout streams.

Saying about a minute or 2 before hand that I couldn't wait to meet pcray, just to have Pat and Matt come walking downstream towards us.

Meeting everyone at the Pav on Sat night.
Albatross and Ed are great company and so where all of you. It was good to meet Dkile, Maurice, Fred, Dave W, Goodfortune, TomG, StevieB and so many others. We gotta go fishing again Stevie.

Andy winning a fine 2wt from Allen. That is a nice rod man!

And finally of course, waking up like in some version of the hangover, minus the women and tiger and a bit more suckful. :lol:

All that said, I cant wait for next years jam! Though this time I will get there earlier and stay longer. And drive ;-) There just wasn't enough time to do all the things I really wanted to do!

Here are a few pics that I took. I really didn't take many but enjoy. Spring looked great IMO.

101_0971.jpg

Andy hooked into a fish

101_0976.jpg

"Spring" flowers

101_0978.jpg

101_0980.jpg

Swattie,Wiss and Sasquatch and maybe not in that order :lol:

101_0982.jpg

101_0984.jpg

101_1013.jpg

Sasquatch, Swattie, pcray and Wiss

101_1054.jpg

Andy with his new 2wt on Sunday

I hated missing the Jam this year, they are always alot of fun for me, I just didn't feel up to it. Look and sounds like everyone had a good time. I am enjoying the pics, keep them coming!

PaulG

And Sal, I agree. Albatross and Heritage Ed were two of the most enjoyable meetings on Saturday night. Meeting Dave Kile was an honor too. Glad he came up and introduced himself! Very personable guy.

All I can say about Jack is, I have a WHOLE new perspective into this man's posts. Dude, Jack, you are a card. Don't ever change haha! Lookin' forward to singing the Brown Trout Blues with you again some day.

Well, Andy, you surprised me too, particularly with your talent for music. I have always held up to the party, but the last couple years, for unknown reasons, I have kind of went a little farther than I care to admit. I am really not that crazy, only about "half crazy," or so I like to think.

Haha! Well I felt like a bit of a hack compared to Shakey and Brian-those guys REALLY know their way around fingerboards, but I had a blast jammin' at the JAM. Next year, like Sal said, it will be a longer event for us. I WILL be there the entire weekend, at least.

Hey man, like someone said at the JAM, its a release. Its a bit of an escape. I didn't party quite as hard as some of you, but I can't remember the last time I stayed up till 4am shootin the chit, playing music, having a generally great time, eating food that is bound to kill me one of these days (food is my booze. I don't binge drink...I binge eat!) Its once a year dude. Rock it hard.

Fredrick wrote:
ryguyfi wrote:

IT'S ON FREDERICK!!!

Sorry but I already have the 11th of november booked

How's that 2nd fiddle sound?

Extreme measures trying to get 1st chair?

Sal,
Those are some mighty nice pics - glad you could make it this year.
I've long thought it would be great to walk along behind you and Pcray on a small stream just to watch the horrible beating the poor trout would get from being tag teamed by you two. :)

Yep, so much fun at the jam....so little time.

Its funny you guys bring that up. After I talked with Pat I went over to meet Swattie. It took me 30 seconds to get there and we talked for a minute. I looked downstream and Pat was past Wiss and Sasquatch and was 150 yards downstream from me and ready to turn the corner :lol:

I said to Swattie, now that guy fishes like me ;-)

Pat is worse (or better?) than you Sal haha! I tried to keep up w/ him at Stocktoberfest, I just said, "Screw that!"

Yeah, you guys (Pat and Sal) are both faster than me probably...especially this time of year. In the Winter I'll skip large sections of stream (especially on small ones) to focus my attention on the better pools but now I'll fish just about everything that may hold a fish.

I was fishing slower than I normally do at the Jam though...enjoying the good company along with the occasional fish.

Yeah I was taking my good ole' time. that's the fun of Jam fishing. Just strollin' along. I also backtracked and hit a few holes that you guys walked through on your way down to the bridge haha!

Well, I don't really skip anymore than most people do, I just don't spend as long there.

When brookie fishing with Swattie and Wiss, we went reasonably slow. Being social, trying to put the newbie (Wiss) on fish more than anything, and having a long time to fish a relatively short stretch of good water, while still saving some till the afternoon when fishing would be better.

On Spring, well, I wanted to find a suitable place for everyone to set up for the spinner fall, and I knew that time was fast approaching. And I really don't like that hole you guys were in. It's frog water, long, slow and featureless. Those holes on Spring have lower densities of fish and they tend to run small and yet be harder to catch. So I thought I'd scout ahead, find good water, "reserve" it for PAFF, and bring down whoever wanted to come.

There was a heck of a pool just below the one you were in. Middle of the riffle, a break with a good, fast, deep run and an eddy on the far bank. I was quite sure there'd be a ton of fish rising along that current break by the eddy. But there was already a guy set up on em, so I continued on down.

Next down was the bridge hole, which is a good one. I knew the head and the tail would fish well, the middle was awfully deep, and I questioned whether anything would rise to dries. So it was within our "reserved" boundaries, if someone wanted to nymph it they could, and Wis and Sal both fished the tailout at some point for the risers there. And we also took the hole below, which was a good dry fly hole, medium depth, medium current, lots of rocks, current seams and the like. And long enough for 4 guys to spread out and all be on decent #'s of rising fish. Which is exactly what happened.

Well, I don't really skip anymore than most people do, I just don't spend as long there. When brookie fishing with Swattie and Wiss, we went reasonably slow. Being social, trying to put the newbie (Wiss) on fish more than anything, and having a long time to fish a relatively short stretch of good water, while still saving some till the afternoon when fishing would be better. On Spring, well, I wanted to find a suitable place for everyone to set up for the spinner fall, and I knew that time was fast approaching. And I really don't like that hole you guys were in. It's frog water, long, slow and featureless. Those holes on Spring have lower densities of fish and they tend to run small and yet be harder to catch. So I thought I'd scout ahead, find good water, "reserve" it for PAFF, and bring down whoever wanted to come. There was a heck of a pool just below the one you were in. Middle of the riffle, a break with a good, fast, deep run and an eddy on the far bank. I was quite sure there'd be a ton of fish rising along that current break by the eddy. But there was already a guy set up on em, so I continued on down. Next down was the bridge hole, which is a good one. I knew the head and the tail would fish well, the middle was awfully deep, and I questioned whether anything would rise to dries. So it was within our "reserved" boundaries, if someone wanted to nymph it they could, and Wis and Sal both fished the tailout at some point for the risers there. And we also took the hole below, which was a good dry fly hole, medium depth, medium current, lots of rocks, current seams and the like. And long enough for 4 guys to spread out and all be on decent #'s of rising fish. Which is exactly what happened.

Yep thats what I remember too. I still just find it funny how fast you were moving and look its pcray ;-)

If I had to guess I would imagine you are slightly faster than me. I wish I could find the thread but we had this discussion on how to fish brookies streams. Both Pat and I approach them the same way.

Basically waste no time because 1 to 2 casts is usually all you need and skip unlikely water. The more likely holes you hit with as many first and second casts as you can yield higher numbers of fish in a day and usually the bigger fish.

I still bet Pat and I could fish all of the Cherry Run Wilderness section from the middle up and down in opposite directions. Turn around fish back, cross eachother, chat and fish to the other end. It would take morning to evening but its only 7 miles X 2.

You did set us all up nice through Pat. I remember we all hooked some fish. It was a good time meeting you the first time.

That rod of yours is very nice also!

Back