Jam "stories"

great weekend! always good to see old friends and meet new ones. the fish are a nice bonus.

Thanks to all attendees for sharing the weekend with me I had a wonderful time meeting and re-connecting with you! Bruno, Charley, and Brian were excellent roommates as always. It was great to see David make a surprise appearance Friday evening.

Thanks to Harman's Cabins for my raffle prize. My wife is looking forward to enjoying the deluxe accommodations with me.

I very much enjoyed meeting Sal for the first time. I'm afraid Sasquatch and I will have to re-hash our theological discussion as, inexplicably, I seem to have forgotten most of the conversation... ;-)

too bad I needed to run back saturday am, but great to see people 'round state college fri night. thanks to all, was a good road trip and I even lucked into some fine new brookie water on the way back to philly.

Attachments

• 7230302486_26c2f92be5.jpg
    7230302486_26c2f92be5.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 3
Just reread my post from last night...man was I tired when I typed that. I think I walked about a total of 8 or 9 miles and fished for about 10 hours on Saturday...and then stayed up until 2:00 am at the pavilion...guess that was finally catching up with me! Had today off and slept in to almost 10:00 am...can't even remember the last time that happened.

Anyway, a couple more highlights I forgot to mention...kbob's picture above reminded me of this one...getting to talk high gradient Brookie streams with kbob. I'm a junkie for those and so's kbob, so it was fun getting to talk about those and exchange some notes.

And in my defense for the "quote of the year" so far as coined by pcray...I can only say that you folks around State College have some excellent road sign artists. It's funny what towns like Tusseyville and Ennisville can be turned into with some well placed paint strokes.

Now to clean my truck, which is actually my wife's daily driver since her commute is shorter than mine. She is not thrilled with its current state of affairs.

Swattie87 wrote:
Now to clean my truck, with is actually my wife's daily driver since her commute is shorter than mine. She is not thrilled with its current state of affairs.

Haha! In the same boat and about to do the same. Had a great time at the jam and I think most of my stories should remain private to avoid incrimination. ;-) My quote of the weekend, however, involved one well know member shaking hands with Tony, at which point the guys in his car said "You touched him last, now you have to keep him." Good times!

Boyer

Swattie87 wrote:
I can only say that you folks around State College have some excellent road sign artists. It's funny what towns like Tusseyville and Ennisville can be turned into with some well placed paint strokes.

You forgot "Old Fort."

I had a blast myself and enjoyed meeting new folks. I particularly enjoyed the group of singer/strummers and their eclectic selection of songs. I fished on Saturday, half-heartedly after waking up at 1 PM in a state of confusion. No one was left to fish with at that point but Gfen and Turkey and they weren't exactly pleased with their options either. I caught one trote on a wooly bugger, but did not use a bobber. The last 30 minutes of sulfurs emerging and falling yielded me a goose egg on dries.

After another late night Saturday, I just blew off fishing and spent some time with old friends before taking the excruciating 3 hour drive home.

Thanks for Dave Weaver's donation and csoult for the tying bench as well and the other sponsors that donated. Thanks to all who were well-behaved and for cleaning up after yourselves. I am pretty sure we will be welcome back again.

dkile wrote:
Ryguyfi then proceed to put on a clinic for groove790 and myself upstream.

I'll try to be humble, but that was one of the best evenings of fishing I've ever had.

Greg (groove) and I showed up around 3pm to set up camp. On our way in we stopped at a very local Class A brookie stream and didn't fare so well. I caught 20 and it was a bad day there. Rumor has it that about 25 paffers fished that stream over the weekend. lol. We set up camp chatted with Bruno, heard a few stories of Charlie falling in, decided not to get directions from Alby, and headed out to Spring. We hit an easy access point and found rising fish.
Greg caught his first State College brownie that night and that was well worth the trip for us. We landed a few on sulphurs and rusty spinners, but it wasn't anything fantastic. The spinners never really hit the water. Chatted it up with a few guys that were fishing next to us and realized one was Tilt. Saw him "being lazy" and throwing 60 foot casts from the bank to rising fish.

Friday night was spent just getting caught up with good friends. It sucks that this event is only once a year and it takes the whole weekend just to attempt to talk to everyone you know. Then you meet more people and a few years into attending JAMs a whole weekend is not enough time.

Saturday we spend most of the morning around the coffee crowd. However there was no coffee. Luckily the campground had some they graciously gave us and the day was saved. Caught up with a lot of people and decided to hit Spring around 1pm with tocar and MattBoyer and of course Greg. We worked but had no results. I had a decent fish slash my streamer but that was it. Blue bird skies prob had something to do with it. Also saw some browns in a swampy off chute of Spring that was quite surprising.

We hung it up early that afternoon and headed to Paradise. Met up with Dkile, Maurice, Maurice's brother and a few other paffers. We cooked out some monster hot dogs (thanks Tony) and just chilled for a while. That was one of my favorite non fishing times of the weekend.

We then headed out fishing. I get antsy when it's time to fish and wanted to head out. So Greg, Dave Kile and I were the only ones ready so we just started walking up the trail. We came to a nice spot eventually and hit the stream. I had some instant success on a parachute sulphur. I then saw a large log jam with a calm eddy behind it and spotted 2 monster trout and many others. I used some small stream tactics and tossed my fly in the eddy and kept almost all of my line and leader off the water. I hooked up 3 fish and missed a few more in there. Saw 2 fish in the 18-20" class with their heads burried in the log jam but couldn't turn them. I then hit a few areas down from there and most takes were within 2-5 feet of the bank. I saw a spot I didn't really cast to yet and made it count. I saw a wake from about 5 feet out and a monster brown smashed my sulphur. I instantly yelled "BIG FISH" and the fight was on. I fought him for a good 3-4 minutes and Dave Kile got a bunch of pictures. Then we realized Greg lost his net and I tried to get the fish to turn upstream of me so I could have a chance to beach him. Never got him to turn and he eventually tossed the hook about 10 feet downstream of me. Total disappointment but was an absolute blast to hook him up and fight him. Soon afterwards the spinners started congregating and I landed a few more on rusty spinners before they shut off. It was a blast and was lucky enough to share it with Greg and Dave.

Saturday night seemed like organized chaos. Sat and watched FishIdiot do his painting as is par for the course, and caught up with a bunch of friends. Saw this large creature in the middle of the pavilion and knew instantly it was a Sasquatch. Didn't get much talking time in there though... next year. Bought some tickets for the raffle and missed the painting by 1 number. Heard we raised almost $600 for the youth camp, so that is AWESOME!

I headed to bed at about 1 and woke up several times throughout the night and the whole weekend to several people cutting down the forest behind me. We chatted by the coffee pot again and headed out to a few spots to reluctantly get our only skunking of the weekend. Got home to see the family and it was all over in a flash.

This board and the people who make it up are a fantastic group. I've learned so much, taught some, and have made life long friendships.

Hats off to PAFF!

Ryan

It's funny what towns like Tusseyville and Ennisville can be turned into with some well placed paint strokes.
You forgot "Old Fort."

My favorite is PENN'S CAVE. White tape over choice parts of the second N.

Pleasant Gap is a little funny too, and doesn't even need any adjustment.

Here is a photo of Fishidiot's painting (for those of you who did not get to see it). That's the best I could do with my cell phone. It is happily in it's permanent place on my office. It was just awsome to watch over his shoulder while he painted this thing.

Attachments

• IMAG0531.jpg
    IMAG0531.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 3
Almost forgot....

Watching Delta Dog tie his sulphurs on Saturday morning was quite entertaining. Picked up a few tips from him. He ties a great fly!

PatrickC wrote:
Here is a photo of Fishidiot's painting (for those of you who did not get to see it). That's the best I could do with my cell phone. It is happily in it's permanent place on my office. It was just awsome to watch over his shoulder while he painted this thing.

Patrick,
I'm beyond delighted to see how this turned out - thanks so much for the support and enjoy your new office decoration - should remind you of good times and good folks.

All,
Honestly, I'm humbled and amazed at the tremendous enthusiasm you guys have shown for my artwork during this - and previous - Paff jams. To see so many fans and hear so many compliments, encouragement and kind words....is really just amazing.

I'd better not let it go to my head. :)

Thanks again.

Old saying, slightly altered for the individual to which it is directed:

Dave, you're a gentleman, a scholar and a very talented artist. There are very few of you in existance. Just don't let it go to your head!! ;-)

I've said it before and I'll probably be accused of saying it again (to which I'll respond "that's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it!); your work is some of the finest I've seen. Keep up the good work!

Had a great time at the Jam. Lots of funny stories were shared, but a couple stick in my mind:

Fishidiot's new technique of doing a "chest bump" instead of just landing a fish, and the turtle stories. Flipnfly even caught a turtle on a midge - I'd have never believed it, but he has the picture to back it up.

Funniest saying was about Spring Creek. While most of the famous limestoners in the area weren't in good shape to fish, someone made the comment that "Spring Creek is like the fat chick in the bar at 2AM - not your first choice at happy hour, but she always puts out." :lol:

Stopped by on Friday evening from 8:30 until 11. Make that a 2:15 am departure. Had an hour drive home and was getting up a 6:30 to take the nephews dirt bike riding for the first time but man was I tired.

It was nice to see some of the guys I knew and to meet a bunch of new guys too. I'm not sure Alby or Biker will remember talking to me. LOL. I think that I'll try to show up and actually fish. I don't think more than 3-4 people at the JAM have ever seen me pick up a fly rod. LOL. I do actually fish from time to time.

Thanks again for a nice gathering.

Yeah sorry the conversation wasn't long, Ryan. Next year I will be a much stronger presence. Arriving Saturday afternono cut into our socializing time big time.

I am surprised how many people recognized me and introduced themselves. Guess I should go back to the old avatar so that by next year, everyone will recognize the Squatch!

I really enjoyed the pickin' and singin'. What's the screen name of the third dude, his real name was Brian? Had a good time jamming w/ Shakey and Brian. Funniest part was Shakey's advice, "Sasquatch...if you forget the words, just give Brian a guitar solo." Nice.

In true form, Shakey also tries to give everyone a solo. Hilarity ensued when I tried to rip a blues solo on a banjo. Hilarity ensues any time I try to "rip a solo" in general...

albatross wrote:
I'm afraid Sasquatch and I will have to re-hash our theological discussion as, inexplicably, I seem to have forgotten most of the conversation... ;-)

I have to say...of all the conversations I expected to have, a discussion around the Lutheran and Presbyterian views of predestination was NOT one I was expecting at 3:30am ;-)

Sas,

Brian is his real name, and he's my friend. I don't think he has an account yet with PaFlyFish, but that may change soon. He's really beginning to enjoy flinging flies.

Squatch, I nearly "ripped a solo" just putting my boots on Sat, afternoon. lol!

Any way it was nice to meet you guys and if I failed to introduce myself, I'll try harder next year. Its a great event and and great people. Thanks to all for some great memories, and a few moments missing from any recollection at all! I have a few pics but this one is my favorite!

Attachments

• Chooch_Coty.JPG
    Chooch_Coty.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 3
That picture could only be better if it was biting Coty's ***. lol

Back