Fly fishing show Somerset

If it was free, everyone would show up, interested or not.

Number6 wrote:
If it was free, everyone would show up, interested or not.

That couldn't spread interest in fly fishing, or even sell some more items. Correct?

Realize that we all like low prices on items - however if they are way below what the competitor is offering - I myself would look at it as low quality or some how inferior. If the Fly fishing show entrance fee was, say $5.00 or free, I probably would not attend. And at the same time if a flee market entrance fee was $5.00 or free I would probably go. Quality expectations play an important aspect of decision making. Some won't go again because quality expectations were not met for them. I will go again because of the opposite reason. See you on Sunday most likely .. I have to see when my daughter's cheer competition is first.

Realize that we all like low prices on items - however if they are way below what the competitor is offering - I myself would look at it as low quality or some how inferior.

Wow! I can see if they were different products. We all do that to some extent, and try to figure out how much is marketing B.S. and how much is real. But if it's the exact same model?

But if a guy sells a new Sage Z-axis for $200 and another guy sells a new Sage Z-axis for $400, same year of manufacture, etc. You'd think the lower cost one is inferior?

YES.....Simply said....I will not buy fishing rods from Kmart or Walmart "just because". However I will go to a mom and pop store and help the economy in the area out vs going to Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop. With that said - there is a limit to how much I would Pay above or below what I think it's value really is.

I don't and probably would not purchase a Sage rod....I am an Orvis Man - and have grown to appreciate their quality. "If something works perfect - why purchase anything else". So there is branding familiarity as well involved. Since I am familiar with their prices - if I see something for way less or way more than my expectations - I would be more hesitant to purchase it.

The lower cost one was probably outsourced and made in China more than likely.

Penny Pack, I used to like you man. I'm a Sage man... Lol

Now ya hurts me feelings. :cry:

Not really

Is there some sort of student discount? I love Somerset, I'm up there all the time, but I'm a poor...poor...very poor college student. If I had a job I'd pay the $18 in a heart beat, but I don't...

Still though, I don't understand why everybody is getting their panties in a bunch over the $18 fee. Seems more than fair to me. If I can pay it, I'll definitely be there.

Sorry If I missed it, but when is the show? I tried to google but couldnt find.....

I believe there is a Boyscout and Military discount....

It's funny how college students can always find money for beer and/or pizza.

Here is the link:
www.flyfishingshow.com/Somerset__NJ.html?

Garden State Convention Center. January 24, 25, 26 2014. Show Hours: Fri 10 - 6; Sat 8:30 - 6:00; Sun 9 - 4:30. Admission: Adult: $18 for one day, $28 for ...

The lower cost one was probably outsourced and made in China more than likely.

Haha. I mean, if you're comparing two different models, you're often right. But there certainly are differences in price that come from other factors. Maybe the guy with the $200 Sage Z-axis needs to get rid of it to make room for something else, and is willing to take a loss in the process. It happens. Those two rods might be EXACTLY the same thing.

I certainly don't have a problem with being willing to pay more to support American jobs, or a mom&pop shop over a big box store, etc. etc. You gotta be an informed consumer, and use your money where you think it'll do the most good. It's just not anywhere near as simple as saying stuff that costs more is better, or certain brands are better, etc. You know, Orvis makes stuff in China too!

Is there some sort of student discount? I love Somerset, I'm up there all the time

FYI. This is Somerset, NJ. Not Somerset, PA.

Yea, I know it seams that to much of our gear is outsourced to other countries in hopes to keep the cost down. I thought St.Croix rods were made in USA - than I learned alot of the rods they make are outsourced to Mexico. I don't believe the quality control is to my liking.

Even when the gear is made in the USA...it does not guarentee that the parts were made here.

Wow, I didn't come on here to be attacked Pennypack. Maybe you should have gone to college (or if you did taken a logic class) before trying to construct a fallacious argument against the entire population of "college students."

Instead of using the fallacy known as hasty generalization, accusing all college students of being nothing but alcoholics and vehement fans of Italian food, how about just answering an honest question.

I work three jobs and go to college, and still find time for fishing and family, but yeah I guess I'm just one of those ignorant, beer and/or pizza obsessed college students.

Forgive me for being a young enthusiast about the sport.

fishingn00b101 wrote:
Wow, I didn't come on here to be attacked Pennypack. Maybe you should have gone to college (or if you did taken a logic class) before trying to construct a fallacious argument against the entire population of "college students."

Dude.

I'm pretty sure he was joking.

Jersey??? No wonder I couldnt find it. Screw that....I was hoping it was in the Laurel Highlands.
See ya in Lancaster.

00b101, So I'll see you in Somerset. Bring some Rolling Rock and I'll bring the pizza.

Stenonema, Latrobe doesn't make RR anymore, but I'll bring some ever so tastey Iron City...

Good enough. If we happen to fish or I instruct you along the stream and you feel obligated to pay for fuel or tip with some I.C. light. It's all good, I have a guides license. We poor people gotta stick together.

Paying $18 to spend hours in a make-shift fly fishing mall does not sound like my cup of tea. I guess I'd pay as much as $5 if I was really bored that day.

Back