Fly fishing show Somerset

Worth it? Define "worth it".

I'll cast a few rods that I won't buy just to see what they feel like. Maybe something that I don't need will be on a ridiculous sale and I'll actually buy it and never use it. I'll go watch some seminars that frankly aren't that good, and which I've probably already seen anyhow since most appear to be recycled year after year. I'll fall for some (20 flies for $10) deal, only to later find that those flies don't float or fall apart too easily. I'll buy a handful of GOOD flies from some actual tiers just cause I'm there, but they'll be of the same quality and price that your gonna get from a good reputable fly shop like FFP, and could order anytime I'd like. And I'll bring home a large bag full of pamplets and such for places that I'll never visit.

In that sense, no, not at all worth it in any logical sort of fashion.

But I'll get out of the house in the dead of winter for a day. I'll see some people from PAFF and elsewhere that I haven't seen in a while.

And if nothing else, it will get me thinking about fly fishing again, and probably spur me to make an outing in the near future afterwards.

By looking at the Flyer there will be alot of new faces this year. There are quite a few names missing that have been regulars. The demonstators assume alot of the cost like Eunan said. There are a number of reasons to attend. I"m going to miss seeing some of the guys.

pcray1231 wrote:
But I'll get out of the house in the dead of winter for a day. I'll see some people from PAFF and elsewhere that I haven't seen in a while.

And if nothing else, it will get me thinking about fly fishing again, and probably spur me to make an outing in the near future afterwards.

Yep, that sounds like worth it. :)

tomitrout wrote:
I have a problem with people charging me money so they have the opportunity to convince me to buy their product.

I'm curious, do you have cable or dish tv at your place, pay for your internet feed?

Yes I have satellite and pay for internet. On my satellite I have a DVR where I record the shows I want to see and eliminate the commercials. On the internet I can block out the ads.

I'm still weighing my options for this show. If I go it would be for the reasons pcray mentioned (to hang out with friends). I wouldn't mind seeing Joe Humphreys' seminar because I've never seen it past what is on YouTube.

But for the fuel price alone I could buy three of Joe's DVD's at FFP.

I really enjoy going to the shows. It is nice to be able to catch up with a lot of people I only see at the shows. The seminars are a lot of fun. Plenty of really info on new ideas and places to go from some experts in the industry. I enjoy being able to see a lot of different gear and checking it out. I don't buy very much, but it helps me keep updated on a lot of stuff I have been reading about online.

Getting out of the house on a winter day, catching up with a few friends and learning something new is total worth it.

Here is a video recap from last year if you have never gone before.

See you there!

In last year's thread on the show, Afish mentioned when he would be at the Orvis booth. I think a few other members did the same thing.

I think it would be a good idea if we could formulize list of what forum members will have a booth or table at the show.

So which day(s) are folks going to be there? I guess crowds will be light Friday, deals are best (if not the selection) Sunday afternoon.

I will likely not make the final decision until the week of, and it'll be governed by family obligations and such. But, all else being equal, I'd choose Sunday.

Stimey,
Hey, I'll let you hang out with me for a mere $12. That is a 33% savings! I don't know if I'm informative as guys at the show but it would be a more comical experience.

Eunan hit the nail on the head. If you could go to the show or get a mtn dew / pack-0-grits for the same price...pick your poison. If you skip the show for caffeine / nicotine fix, then you didn't want to go that bad anyway

Let's see: It will get me off the couch and out of the house...I get some well needed calorie burning footsteps and armswings in. I get to show my respects to some of the celebs of the flyfishing world. Get some photo shots with them for memories. I can purchase a few flies that I will more than likely have to put a couple of drops of glue on. All for $18.00 dollars for the day. What's the price of skiing going for now?

Let's see where can I put "Priceless" in!

Krayfish,

I'll pay you with a complimentary "sheeta pizza" on the porch!

lestrout wrote:

So which day(s) are folks going to be there? I guess crowds will be light Friday, deals are best (if not the selection) Sunday afternoon.

I'll be there Friday and Saturday.

Forgot about the "sheeta pizza" disaster. That guy was bent when Josh said "no, we ordered a cheese pizza, not a sheeta pizza". Flailing arms and swearing in Italian :-D. I grew up with that type of reaction to everything I did.

My wife and I will be there Fri. night for the film festival and Saturday.

I'll be there Friday thru Saturday annoying people with my camera. Maybe Afish will let us bum rush the Orvis booth for a meeting point on Saturday?

Hey dkile, I should be there on Friday also, so maybe we can do a Friday bum rush on Afish.

Greenghost wrote:

I think it's too much, personally. Really, shouldn't it be free? We are the supporters of the industry. Why can't organizers get there income from participants of the show? And participants get their return on investment from business generated from attendees?

Excluded the why it should be free not sure how it could be free but would love to see the economics behind all that. I guess you can start with The Garden State Convention Center and go from there.

Re being a “supporter of the industry” …. If you are a supporter of a certain sports team should the tix and/or parking be free as long as you purchase a couple of dawgs, beer, some merchandise, etc, etc …

Brookiechaser wrote:

I agree that it should be cheaper or free. The object of the show is for vendors to advertise their products. So essentially you're spending your money to give vendors the opportunity to take your money.
1) Umm ... the vendors do not own the Garden State Convention Center so ur beef should be with them not the vendors

2) Please explain how the vendors are going to "take your money"?

Any of you gents know what films are being shown International FF Film fest? Went to the site and it seems to be one show for 2 hours .. doesn't sound like a film fest but just A film.

///Scheduled for Friday the 24th @ the doubletree

The exhibit center isn't free, the hotel breakout rooms are not free, the insurance that the show sponsor is required isn't free or cheap for that matter.

So why is everyone complaining?

I attend trade shows, the normal for a three or four days show is well over $600, plus travel.

$18 for a single day... A NICE DEAL.

Let's see, who is going to pay for rent of location, use of water (restrooms), electricity, Trash pickup, cleanup, etc?

Venders have to pay for rent of their space - which the combined, I doubt will cover the cost of rent of the building for the weekend. Please think this as an economic thing as well....Money will pour in -hopefully quicker than it pours out. More than likely most vendors will walk out of there with a small handfull of money in their pocket, break even, and/or maybe just maybe a few new clients.

Guess who has to pay........US.....

I learned a long time ago that things cheap or free don't equate to a good deal or happiness.

My recommendation is to spend the $18.00 for a day and make it an enjoyable adventure for what it's worth. Always look for the positive in things - Our world seams to be to busy looking for the wrongs/mistakes etc. - that take our enjoyment away.

Stagger_Lee wrote:

1) Umm ... the vendors do not own the Garden State Convention Center so ur beef should be with them not the vendors

2) Please explain how the vendors are going to "take your money"?

1 - You're correct, the vendors do not own the convention center. My "beef", which really wasn't that big of a deal to me I was just expressing my opinion, would be with the promoters. If I had to pinpoint it.

2 - Ah the joys of text based communication. They're not forcibly going to take my money. The point of the show from the vendor's perspective is to get me to buy their product, therefore taking my money. It's akin to charging to get into a mall.

What this argument boils down to is rational spending. How much value are you going to get from your money? If you spend the money and get your money's worth of enjoyment, then you were thinking rationally. If you spend the money and don't get your money's worth of enjoyment then you were spending irrational.

Everyone's enjoyment level is different and interests/interest levels are different. What I place a high value on, somebody may say is worthless.

Back