Fly Fishing Hacks

From lestrout: "Never put anything, especially your rod, on top of the car or trunk. Rather, if you put items on the hood or against the windshield, you won't likely drive off without them."

Beat me to it. This absolutely works.

If you are handling your rod in a manner that seems to be - not the best idea or at least a bit risky you are probably totally correct.

Many fly rods have been broken directly after someone has mentally said to themself "This is probably a dumb idea ........but, ahhhhhhh s#%t"! My point is to take the time to listen to yourself and readjust the situation to try to illiminate some of those totally avoidable mishaps.

KeithS wrote:
From lestrout: "Never put anything, especially your rod, on top of the car or trunk. Rather, if you put items on the hood or against the windshield, you won't likely drive off without them."

This is so true.Please don't ask me how I know this.

Oh hell.....
97987-704-M.jpg

to learn small stream fishing, read the orvis/rosenbauer small stream fly fishing book. two hours and $25 will shortcut the learning curve:

http://www.amazon.com/Orvis-Guide-Small-Stream-Fishing/dp/0789322250/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384816670&sr=8-1&keywords=orvis+small+stream

k-bob wrote:
to learn small stream fishing, read the orvis/rosenbauer small stream fly fishing book. two hours and $25 will shortcut the learning curve:

http://www.amazon.com/Orvis-Guide-Small-Stream-Fishing/dp/0789322250/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384816670&sr=8-1&keywords=orvis+small+stream

Agree. Everyone I have talked to that has been a long time stream fisher and then read that book (myself included) pretty much said the same thing, "Exactly what I would have written."

The Steelhead Guide by John Nagy is the Steelhead Alley steelhead equivalent.

understand the makers aren't making hook eyes smaller,you need bifocals.

We care about our rods, reels, waders, boots, flies, packs,........
I'll reply in an attempt to move this thread into the lower page numbers.
My father-in-law... the man who introduced me to flyfishing bought a car with leather seats. I asked about getting in with wet waders to we could drive to another hole without breaking down. I can't remember his exact reply, but it was to the effect that he didn't care about any dirt/water/damage to the vehicle, as long as it didn't prevent getting to/from the crick.
He also recently provided the benefit of a folding camp chair when donning/doffing waders. (He's in his 80s.)
His best advice was to my older son... STOP flogging the same water over and over. If the fish didn't rise to 3-5 good drifts, it won't rise to any of the next 20... MOVE ON.
He has many more, including the "rod and reel are stowed before anything else" rule, when packing up to go home.

So True! A couple of my boys and I left a cloth creel with trout in it on top of the vehicle, coming off Pine Creek in the dark. Not much left to retrieve when we retraced our route - messy ziploc bags, a creel, and so much street sushi.

A trick for an on-stream fly repair vise - an Exacto knife handle. It can hold up to a size 6 hook so you can do a quick steam-side repair or last-minute tie. To store the handle simply drill a hole in the handle and use a lanyard. Coupled with a small pouch/wallet with some common fly tying material and you could save a good fishing day.

Kim

Back