Fishing music

bruch wrote:
I'm not one to block out the sounds of a mountain stream, but if I had to I would definitely choose John Denver or Neil Young's Harvest album.

My most lovely fishing partner (my wife) and I always listen to Neil Young's "Harvest Moon" the evening we get to our cabin. Our song. Followed by Cinnamon Girl and After the Gold Rush. Gotta Love Neil Young.

Can't wait for tomorrow night.

As no one mentioned Nirvana (I think), gotta add them to the mix. Love their unplugged cover of "Jesus doesn't want me for a sunbeam". Check it out on Youtube.

Outsider, Harvest Moon is always a good song to play at the camp! I can only assume I'm one of the younger people on this forum (19) but I definitely enjoy Neil as well as Dylan. I also saw that you like the Fleet Foxes... You might already know this but their previous drummer J Tillman broke off to form the band "Father John Misty" and it is awesome

My most lovely fishing partner (my wife) and I always listen to Neil Young's "Harvest Moon" the evening we get to our cabin. Our song. Followed by Cinnamon Girl and After the Gold Rush. Gotta Love Neil Young.

BrookieChaser wrote:

Outside of "country" music. I listen to:

Dropkick Murphys, Kid Rock, Uncle Kracker, Jay Z, Eminem, Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" album, Skynyrd, Nirvana, and various '90's rock.

"Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam" is good. They did a fair amount of uncut and b-side stuff like that. I think they cut a couple Ledbetter(?) songs. It's on one of the discs of their box set, I have it, I'll have to look what the songs are.

Come on I cant be the only one to listen to my iPod while fishing. What's the difference if your blocking out the sounds of the stream with music in your head or real music?

Nothing goes together better then fishing and listening to a ballgame.

I'm telling you boys... Steeldrivers.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c7R9oFKfPyk

Knee Deep by Zac Brown Band

Steeldrivers are where it's at! Also, check out Ryan Bingham...particularly the Mescalito album. Good stuff!

It's no wonder some people can't hear the bear coming up behind them. hey doc, I had my headphones on listening to some great music and I got mauled by a bear.

Nature plays it's own music and if you listen it is beautiful. Why would anyone want to listen to anything else while out fishing beats the heck out of me.

PennypackFlyer wrote:

Nature plays it's own music and if you listen it is beautiful. Why would anyone want to listen to anything else while out fishing beats the heck out of me.
I couldn't agree more. I'm there for the tranquillity.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
It's no wonder some people can't hear the bear coming up behind them. hey doc, I had my headphones on listening to some great music and I got mauled by a bear.

When you have a six mile hike back to a vehicle, sometimes the beauty of nature needs a little bit of music to cut the monotony of walking and help with your marching orders. Or at least my feet and mind need that from time to time. I may play a song on my phone during those episodes.

While fishing, no music is played. While there are many songs that may be cycle on and off the music treadmill of my mind at any given time, I can't think of a specific song that routinely goes through my head, except this hymn:

When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees,
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze:
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee:
How great thou art! How great thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee:
How great thou art! How great thou art!

Bingham was awesome. too bad he split from the Dead Horses and his last album was horrible. The rest were great tho. Chris Knight seems like he hasn't sold out yet which is nice. Should include Shooter Jennings with Randy Rogers as being one of the better current artists.

Any country (pre - 2010 ish), classic rock, and bluegrass (especially Ralph Stanley and Bill Monroe/Jimmy Martin, Doc Watson). Apparently country music died almost completely within the last year or so except for a few heroes like Alan Jackson and Ronnie Dunn who are still around. Jamey Johnson is always good too. I think I'd have to pick Jim Croce, Bob Seger, and Hank as the driving-to-fish standbys.

fyi the Heartworn Highways soundtrack is great for anyone who likes Steve Earle, DAC, Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt etc

I've picked with the Steeldrivers a couple times. Nice guys.

I can remember when they played traditional bluegrass. Now they've gone mainstream and have changed their sound completely.

DMB, and Phish are good. I do like the Nirvana unplugged, but not as much as Alice in Chains, something about seeing Layne Staley sing, and knowing he'll be dead.

I don't think the Turnpike Trubadors or Charlie Robison get enough recognition either

Charlie Robison has some good music "My Hometown", "El Cerrito Place", and "New Year's Day" come to mind. His brother Bruce Robison was good too. He wrote "Angry All The Time" made famous by Tim McGraw. The original (Robison's) was the better of the two, as is most cases.

I've surf fished at dawn on Portsmouth Island (Just south of Okracoke) watching the sun rise, with the smell of bacon, eggs and home fries in the air ..... and the "Phantom of the Opera" playing over loudspeakers right on the beach. Just doesn't get any better than that.

It seems most of you missed the OP's point, he doesn't listen to music with a device, he gets ear worms in his head, we all do, and 'listens' to the ear worms.

Roger that - on the "ear worms". Last night's selection was Steve Earle - Copperhead Road.

Steve Earle's music was so much better when he was on drugs... his music sucks now.

Just to clarify, I do not listen to music while I fish, just nature's beauty.

My wife and I spent the past 6 days at the cabin and listened to:

Foo Fighters
Nirvana
New Order
ELO (Eldorado and Face The Music)
The Fixx
Candlebox
America
Fleet Foxes
Billy Idol
Green Day
Led Zeppelin