Fishing music

^^Ditto^^

Agreed: music can add, considerably, to my drive to and from my trip...but I'd prefer to be "silent" when fishing.

Country for me. I especially like the brand of country that celebrates rural life, small town living, nostalgia of youth, blue collar ethics...I don't really get to live that life, so I live it through the music.

add Fleet Foxes to my list.

Reggae mon...

I like to blast some Pantera out of my iPhone while on the stream.

Like most who have posted to this thread, I do not listen to music on the stream. I prefer to hear what I can of the sounds of the world around me (my ears are pretty addled), 99.9% of which are not connected to people or the things they have designed or made. I'm not a complete misanthrope, but I draw a pretty firm line between fishing and socialization. The former is what I do on the stream and the latter what I do in the car between streams. I have to do it this way because hearing is really hard work for me and requires almost all my concentration. So, with the exception of family or a few close friends, I generally do not have to worry about being able to hear what my fishing buddy is saying or doing because if he is fishing with me, I dropped him at the next bridge up or down and will pick him up later at the designated point of rendezvous. Then, we'll socialize. Otherwise, I'm pretty much a Zevonite when I fish and my creed is Splendid Isolation.

I do love music though and if I am traveling alone, I usually have tunes going on the CD player in the car (which is the only place I can really fully hear music anyway). Most of the musicians I like are either dead or starting to look that way. There are some exceptions. I like Josh Ritter, Gillian Welch & David Ralston and some Avett Bros., etc. And these guys are also pretty good, albeit a little unpolished: http://www.iseehawks.com/ Generally though, I'll have old Clarence White/Larry Rice/Norman Blake/even Flatt & Scruggs or Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen or Gram & Emmylou, Santana instrumentals, Wes Montgomery or Larry Carlton, select Steely Dan stuff or just old Byrds, Burritos, Buffalo Springfield, Poco, etc. playing while I'm on the road. I don't care for really hard rock or heavy metal. To me, it sounds like somebody threw a bunch of silverware and a couple of tomcats in a burlap bag and dropped it down an elevator shaft. But that's just me...

I don't think any of this music produces better or worse luck on the water. I'm of the viewpoint that most of the success I have fishing has more to do with not having to worry about socializing while I'm trying to fish....:)

"I heard the Burritos out in California could fly, higher than the Byrds..."

That's what popped into my head after reading the above post. Can anyone name the song?

Don't pollute the stream experience with music....

David Allen Coe, but I'm not sure what song....

Interestingly, I met David Allen Coe at the Elkins WV Walmart circa 1999...

I had to look that Byrds/Burritos quote up.. Its evidently David Allan Coe, who I know virtually nothing about except that a lot of the money that probably helped pay his mortgage off came from that John Prine/Steve Goodman song he recorded.

But I'm not very familiar with him, to be truthful, and don't know much about the rest of his music. One of the reasons for this was probably that once he grew his hair out, he was almost a dead ringer for my Aunt Hazel (RIP, 2006), who I also made a point of avoiding...

Y'all are correct. It's a line from David Allan Coe's song "Willie, Waylon, and Me".

RLee, I laughed at the Aunt Hazel comment.

The only time, besides the John Prine discussion on here, that I heard of Steve Goodman was the line in "You Never Even Called Me By My Name" where Coe mentions Steve Goodman writing the song.

Sipe, I can only imagine the conversation when meeting David Allan Coe. That's cool you got to meet him, at a WalMart no less.

Goodman and Prine were very close friends from what I understand right up until Goodman's untimely (he was 34) death from leukemia in 1984. I never knew much about him until we moved out here within an hour's drive of Wrigley Field. He was a local boy and very Chicagocentric in his outlook and music and is a regional icon.

He was a decent songwriter (City of New Orleans, Banana Republics covered by Jimmy Buffett, etc.) and an under-recognized guitarist. But truth be told, I like the way Prine does Goodman's songs better than the way Goodman did them. Check out a YouTube of Prine doing a Goodman song called "My Old Man". Its one of the sweetest songs about Fathers I know of.

I'll check out the video. Thanks for the recommendation. I like music that flies under the radar.

I recently ran into a Tompall Glaser song "Drinkin' Them Beers" on Youtube that is very good.

Well, I want to keep this about fishing so our host and his cavalry of fixers don't have to come in and adjust our drift, so to speak. So, I'll just say a couple more things and leave it at that.

I'll have a look at the Glaser video, thanks for the mention.

If you watch Prine do "My Old Man", watch the one from Austin City Limits in 1992. The newer one (2008) has bad sound and John isn't getting any younger.

Finally, an interesting thing about Goodman is that he spent the last few years of his life partnering off and on with one of the best mandolinists of his generation, particularly jazz mandolin, a guy who made his career in country music as the Jethro of Homer & Jethro. Jethro Burns could really smoke a mandolin and he and Goodman made some fine music together. Quite a bit of it is available on YouTube. Burns was a native of Evanston, IL, just a frozen rope line drive north of Chicago. Not that anybody who plays baseball in Chicago can hit a line drive, let alone a baseball....:)

But enough...

Back to the topic at hand. The cannot-be-disputed best version of "Fishin' Blues is not, as many would suggest, the Taj Mahal version. It is the little known 1965 John Sebastian version off the first Lovin' Spoonful album.

So, there....:)

RLeeP wrote:
Like most who have posted to this thread, I do not listen to music on the stream. I prefer to hear what I can of the sounds of the world around me (my ears are pretty addled), 99.9% of which are not connected to people or the things they have designed or made. I'm not a complete misanthrope, but I draw a pretty firm line between fishing and socialization. The former is what I do on the stream and the latter what I do in the car between streams. I have to do it this way because hearing is really hard work for me and requires almost all my concentration. So, with the exception of family or a few close friends, I generally do not have to worry about being able to hear what my fishing buddy is saying or doing because if he is fishing with me, I dropped him at the next bridge up or down and will pick him up later at the designated point of rendezvous. Then, we'll socialize. Otherwise, I'm pretty much a Zevonite when I fish and my creed is Splendid Isolation.

I do love music though and if I am traveling alone, I usually have tunes going on the CD player in the car (which is the only place I can really fully hear music anyway). Most of the musicians I like are either dead or starting to look that way. There are some exceptions. I like Josh Ritter, Gillian Welch & David Ralston and some Avett Bros., etc. And these guys are also pretty good, albeit a little unpolished: http://www.iseehawks.com/ Generally though, I'll have old Clarence White/Larry Rice/Norman Blake/even Flatt & Scruggs or Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen or Gram & Emmylou, Santana instrumentals, Wes Montgomery or Larry Carlton, select Steely Dan stuff or just old Byrds, Burritos, Buffalo Springfield, Poco, etc. playing while I'm on the road. I don't care for really hard rock or heavy metal. To me, it sounds like somebody threw a bunch of silverware and a couple of tomcats in a burlap bag and dropped it down an elevator shaft. But that's just me...

I don't think any of this music produces better or worse luck on the water. I'm of the viewpoint that most of the success I have fishing has more to do with not having to worry about socializing while I'm trying to fish....:)

Bob, that's a pretty diverse list of music.

Nothing relaxes me on the way to the stream better than listening to Schubert's Piano Quintet in A Major, "The Trout". It's quite appropriate.

>>Bob, that's a pretty diverse list of music.>>

Well, yeah I guess it is. I suppose that's one of the reasons I keep my CD's for the car in a shoebox my buddy the professional clown gave me. Originally, there was a pair of size 17 sneakers in there he bought for use in the act.

Basically, I can listen to almost anything that doesn't sound like a bag of tomcats and silverware falling down an elevator shaft...:)

Goodman has that hilarious song "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xBxZGQ1dJk

He was also responsible for perpetrating "The Chicken Cordon Blues" on the world. I couldn't find a Youtube clip with decent sound for that one. I'm sure audio downloads are available.

I saw Steve Goodman open for Steve Martin at UMD's Cole Field House in 1978. Unfortunately, it was at the absolute insane apogee of Martin-mania, and he had to endure an onslaught of boos during his entire set. Goodman handled it with professional aplomb, and had even won over a few of the skeptics by the time he left the stage. But the booing was so pointless. It wasn't as if Steve Martin was going to do an extra 40 minutes in an arena show for them, as a favor for booing his personal friend off the stage. Ironically, if they'd treated Goodman a little better, Martin might have shown up during the set to do a little duet with his banjo, etc. If only the thoughtless would think.

The "King Tut" era. Martin had the sense to retire from stand-up after that, he had taken his game as far as it could go. People were laughing every time he opened his mouth, before he finished one sentence.

I'm not one to block out the sounds of a mountain stream, but if I had to I would definitely choose John Denver or Neil Young's Harvest album.

Back