Fishing music

outsider wrote:
RCFetter wrote:
djs12354 wrote:
JackM wrote:
The river sings to me.

Well said!

I think Beethoven would agree. I'm only interested in the sounds of the stream.

Or he might not agree, as he was deaf when he wrote Symphony Number 9. Imagine that.

I forgot about that. A music teacher once told me it prevented him from hearing the mistakes made by the orchestra. In his mind he only heard it perfectly played.

I wonder if a composer ever wrote a symphony or concerto based on the sounds of a stream.

Smetana wrote Die Moldau about the course of the River Moldau (or Vitava, in Czech) from its headwaters to its merging with the Elbe.

I'm not familiar with the piece, but I knew enough about it to Wiki it.

I am familiar with Handel's Water Music, which he composed for King George III, for a Royal barge parade on the Thames.

My own personal favorite of musical compositions that evoke trout streams is the instrumental The Water Song, by Hot Tuna http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6giiYDlqRQs

Musicians have that internal radio station that never turns off.

For fishing, I tune it to Larry Sparks.

I just can't imagine listening to music WHILE fishing. Aside from preferring nature's music, my ears are a part of the senses needed for success. Obviously listening for risers and such (which I do even when nymphing or tossing streamers), but also to get a feel for the nature of the water up around the bend, the sound of the cast tips you off to problems, you hear people walking up behind you, your buddy gives a woop when he catches one, etc.

Music choice on the way to and from fishing, however, is important. Depends on the mood and nature of the trip. If you're going down one of those mountain dirt roads with forest all around, it's gotta be bluegrass. In more urban areas, typically classic rock or old school country for me. By that, I mean Waylon, Merle, Willie, George, Johnny, and the like.

Unless a good ball game is on, of course. Penguins, Pirates, Steelers, and Nittany Lions always take priority over music. And listening to games while driving to go fishing certainly reminds me of my childhood, which is cool, and does indeed put me in the appropriate fishing mood.

PhilC gets it. Usually Childish Gambino, Misfits or Fugazi.

The song that inevitably runs through my head while wandering around a stream - "Mississippi" by Bob Dylan. A personal favorite and, I think, one of his best.

Phish

Obviously

raftman wrote:
The song that inevitably runs through my head while wandering around a stream - "Mississippi" by Bob Dylan. A personal favorite and, I think, one of his best.

A great couplet:

I was raised in the country, I been workin’ in the town
I been in trouble ever since I set my suitcase down

I especially like the version of "Mississippi" on Dylan's Tell Tale Signs. Great live take of "High Water" on there, too.

The last time I was out fishing was last fall, trout prospecting in Colorado and California. Heavy rotation: Tell Tale Signs, The Very Best of Sheryl Crow, Europe '72 Vol. II, Mark Knopfler's Shangri-La.

Not once I got out of the car, though. As it happens, I can't stand using headphones when I'm walking down a sidewalk, much less while I'm out on a stream somewhere. Too much dissociation. For the same reason, I've never liked blasting music at earthquake levels when I'm driving. I need to be where I am. The soundtrack can't be louder than the scenery.

sarce wrote:
Haven't noticed what songs are lucky or not but sometimes I end up with Chris Knight or Ryan Bingham stuck in my head while fishing. Both great "real" country artists if you are unfamiliar with them. Most times my mind is on other things though.

Also agree that listening to an iPod or other music player kind of misses the point of getting out. Though I like the idea of listening to baseball.

I thought I was the only one who listened to/heard of them! Great artists, Bingham is working on a new album I believe.

Add Lucero, Randy Rodgers, The Gourds, and Robert Earl Keen to the mix.

--------

I don't listen to music when I am fishing, and I am really against it for reasons others have mentioned.

But, songs that do remind me of the stream:

Pickn' on Coldplay: Old school Freight Train (I believe the group that covered it) - Yellow
Orba Square - The Trouble With Flying
A Perfect Circle - When the Levee Breaks (Led Zep cover)
Four Seasons - Vavaldi
Ryan Bingham - Bread and Water
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Bela Fleck - Big Country
BTBAM (Progressive Metal, if you like it) - Parralax II (the whole album is basically on piece)
Lucero - All the Same to Me
The Gourds - El Paso, Burn the Honeysuckle
Moby - Sunspot
Pearl Jam - Insignificance (well, any PJ for that matter)
Tool - Wings for Marie Pt. I and II

A lot of these songs remind me of when I am flying as well.

Sarce, I'm a fan of Chris Knight. "It Ain't Easy Being Me" might as well be my theme song. I like "Becky's Bible" too.

I also listen to the Casey Donahew Band, Roger Allan Wade, Kyle Park, Cody Johnson, Hayes Carll, Hellbound Glory, CCR (Cross Canadian Ragweed), James McMurtry, Jason Boland, Dale Watson, Tony Stampley and others. Of course Hank Jr, Hank III, Waylon, Shooter, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Willie, and Tompall Glaser.

Lately I've been listening to the new Eric Church album "The Outsiders". I like "Dark Side", "A Man Who Was Going to Die Young", "Talladega" and "Roller Coaster Ride" off that album.

Outside of "country" music. I listen to:

Dropkick Murphys, Kid Rock, Uncle Kracker, Jay Z, Eminem, Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" album, Skynyrd, Nirvana, and various '90's rock.

So, long list short, who knows what song is stuck in my head while I'm fishing.

When I'm driving there... Steeldrivers. Great bluegrass.

The music for me are the sounds around me, the wind blowing through the Hemlocks, a Wood Thrush Veery singing in the deep woods, or the rush of the water at my feet. But I sometimes have an ear worm going through my head, but they are always random and not always related to something I've heard recently.

outsider wrote:
RCFetter wrote:
djs12354 wrote:
JackM wrote:
The river sings to me.

Well said!

I think Beethoven would agree. I'm only interested in the sounds of the stream.

Or he might not agree, as he was deaf when he wrote Symphony Number 9. Imagine that.
But he had the ear worm for the music and he could still write it down.

On the way I listen to God - on the way back I curse him.

Just joking of course.

mr7183 wrote:
When I'm driving there... Steeldrivers. Great bluegrass.

i don't listen to music outdoors either, but i find fly fishing videos that have bluegrass as the soundtrack most appropriate - maybe cos its quirky and old time, played with wooden instruments etc.

I hate to watch great fishing videos that have crap metal soundtracks - now i love me some Metallica, SOD, Tool, etc etc but not for a fly fishing vid...

I think any music in a fly fishing video ruins it, but that's just my opinion.

When I'm fishing I like fishing related sounds. Like the flow of the stream, birds chirping, ect. Music is the last thing on my mind as I'm working the trout stream. But, I do love listening to music on the usually long ride to my fishing destinations.

Back