First Annual Sandy Hook Jam 11-13-11 Complete success

The Park only gets better as we get into Dec.
It is the same at the Hook.
The bar at the point is a long cast but most of the time
there are fish working on top and to the in side also.
Choke cherry lot is another good spot , along the rocks

1wt wrote:
jay,
The jetty stinks!! you will never land a flyrod bass standing on the rocks.

This is nonsense. I've caught hundreds of bass standing on the rocks of that jetty.

The jetty stinks!! you will never land a flyrod bass standing on the rocks. When you see the fish breaking just out of reach.....

maybe you need a few lessons, the jetty has produced bass for me on the fly for 30+ years..and blues and blackfish and albies all off of the jetty..

Fishing the pocket is not as good as it was in years past. used to be deeper and a lot more fish in it..

nice rod fred, looks fun and that extra reach will only bring good things.

based on reports i've read, it seems to be getting better and better so i'm hoping to make it back down again soon. note to self...i NEED to invest in some cleats. I was super careful getting out to maybe 1/4 of the jetty and it was still way too dicey. i ended up fishing the pocket more than anything.

post some pics from the hook again if you guys head east this week!

That North Jetty at IBSP always produces fish. its dangerous as he11, but a fish magnet. One can land fish from the jetty, just takes some patience and a set of big cajones...its definintely not for everyone.

I caught my personal best flounder off that jetty

RodEbay005.jpg

Fred,
Great post an pic, i too have caught one of these while flyfishing from a boat never from a Jetty.as for jetties suck..thats usually a comment from an individual who hasnt learned skills necessary to be a successfull Saltwater Jetty flyfisherman.Its like anyshill in the sport of flyfishing,you put a lil effort into your angling an you get better at it,as for landing fish,well yeas it can be hairy thats why before you start casting you spend a few seconds an look around you figure out where ya can scrambe down if you have to to pull fish that sometimes dive into the rocks or just to lip or tail a fish,BTW if you like your fingers never lip a bluefish it can ruin yer day. But to be honesy if i have to i just walk the fish down to the pocket an beach it if i have to.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

[color=0000FF]as for jetties suck..thats usually a comment from an individual who hasnt learned skills necessary to be a successfull Saltwater Jetty flyfisherman.[/color]

I said that that jetty stinks!!! LOL not sucks! But you are so right, I don't have the skills to flyfish those slippery rocks in the winter. A couple times I slipped on the rocks and when landing a fish a wave usually arrives and almost knocks me in the water! I must be a shore guy?
Way to go Fred, nice flounder. I used to have a pic of a striper caught and put on that same flat rock! IBSP north jetty a quarter way out near the ocean side??!!
Neat spey rod also....... I only wish I had the courage to use one in the surf!

1wt,
why not come out and play in a few weeks an maybe we can help each other out, you can teach me about finding pockets between the rips along the beach,and i can helkp ya out with the Jetty,I am no expert but i had a really great teacher Capt Jim Freda thats how i avoided some pitfalls.Plus for a number of years i was down for a amonth an half after i got done up on the Great Lake tribs. Its hard to fish for trout in Pa after you have been catchin loads of fish averaging in the teens.
im always up for learning new tricks..have never put any time on a beach..all my saltwater is done on Jetties or boats.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Rick,
Sounds good to me! I haven't been saltwater fly fishing yet this year.
And I'm no expert at fishing IBSP, so I hope I can pick up a couple tips from you! LOL
I'll keep in touch...... I'm really sorry I didn't make the Fredrick Sandy Hook thing. What was I thinking?

Longrods forever,
Rick AKA 1wt

Gentleman I will be hosting this event again this year on November 11th so be ready

Nov. 11th 2012 Sunday --day off put in.
Is it time yet!!!

Fredrick wrote:
Gentleman I will be hosting this event again this year on November 11th so be ready

Man, you really wanted to make sure you announced your date before the Steelhead Jam this year, huh?

GRP wrote:
Fredrick wrote:

Man, you really wanted to make sure you announced your date before the Steelhead Jam this year, huh?

That is the plan I don't want want any scheduling conflicts this year

It is on my calendar.

GRP wrote:
It is on my calendar.

Me too!

(At some point, it would probably be good to start a new thread)

Fredrick wrote:
GRP wrote:
Fredrick wrote:

That is the plan I don't want want any scheduling conflicts this year

This is currently up for debate.... :-D

Always going to have a shadow of regret that I never got into the saltwater FF thing on the east coast. That ship has mostly sailed now, but I hope you guys have a good time.

Sorry Ryguyfi I got dibbs
http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/open-forums/warm-water---salt-water-fly-fishing/2nd-annual-sandy-hook-jam-11-11-12-be-ready/16,23076.html

Back