First Annual Sandy Hook Jam 11-13-11 Complete success

Lonewolve wrote:

Maybe if its mild in December get a few guys an do it again?
Saltwater fishing really tightens up your casting,and also really hurts my Trout fising...kinda hard to get ezcited when ya dont get that pull or tug the way big fish do.

Lonewolve - i see you're from the lehigh Valley - you wanna get a few guys to go up again - count me in!

I've got the bug. Bad.

trowpa wrote:
Lonewolve wrote:

Maybe if its mild in December get a few guys an do it again?
Saltwater fishing really tightens up your casting,and also really hurts my Trout fising...kinda hard to get ezcited when ya dont get that pull or tug the way big fish do.

Lonewolve - i see you're from the lehigh Valley - you wanna get a few guys to go up again - count me in!

I've got the bug. Bad.

+1...already debating a possible morning trip this weekend

as for flies wolve, anything slim or sparse seemed to be doing the trick of matching the baitfish (bay anchovies? i forget already) and the sizes you mentioned were about right.

+ Another 1 here too... Really wanted to go last weekend, but could not get out of work. Looking like Saturday is the better day.

Best Moon conditions have passed, but as long as there is food... Something will be there to eat it.

Trow,Jay,Code,
Im game but it wont be till after first week of buck.I am hoping to get my Buck early an then i will head to Erie for a day an see if i can catch a PA Steelhead or two. December10 weekend, i know they catch stripers even into early January if its not too cold.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Will be back on the beach Wed . Nov 23rd. and like two more times till Christmas.
Let me know when you guys are going ,see If can make it

Sounds like early/mid december is a possibility. Lets all keep an eye on our schedules and the conditions.

wetflyguy wrote:
Will be back on the beach Wed . Nov 23rd. and like two more times till Christmas.

I can do this wed but I have to make it a early day I would have to be home by 4 .

Good luck this weekend guys make sure you do your homework before you head out

Fredrick wrote:
wetflyguy wrote:

I can do this wed but I have to make it a early day I would have to be home by 4 .

Good luck this weekend guys make sure you do your homework before you head out

Any midweek trophies???

If anyone is hitting the sand Wed. the 23rd let me know. I have the day off and will be hitting the sand somewhere, if you want to get together.

GRP wrote:
If anyone is hitting the sand Wed. the 23rd let me know. I have the day off and will be hitting the sand somewhere, if you want to get together.
You live 5 minutes away from me we should make it happen .

Jay my biggest this year is 28

Nice guys. Glad to hear all made out and learned some. I'm going to try to get the last big batch of leaves up so I can go and try to fish this weekend, and probably cast the salt rod some to get used to it.

Fred, let's do it. I'll defer to you for location since you are more experienced than I am.

I am off the 23 and will be on the hook at 5am.
Pm me

Ok lets make it happen

Ill do it in two weeks from now actually i think dec 10th,I am a jetty jock,dont an havent done the beach thing looks calm in the pics i see posted
Rick Wallace

I still have to work on weds, but I took off friday. If you all go, good luck, pound that surf for me!

Did you guys go out this weekend ?

went to IBSP yesterday morning but unfortunately no luck. hiked down to the jetty and fish were breaking the surface but just out of reach. BIG sand eels were everywhere too...snagged one every other cast or so for a while. spin guys were doing well, but the other fly fisherman i saw weren't catching either.

Yea that is how it was when I was there last sat they were all out past a sand bar out of reach. i just bought one of these on thur should have it by wed .

[color=0000FF]went to IBSP yesterday morning but unfortunately no luck. hiked down to the jetty and fish were breaking the surface but just out of reach.[/color]

jay,
The jetty stinks!! you will never land a flyrod bass standing on the rocks. When you see the fish breaking just out of reach....... there are sand bars there and shallow water where some fish attack bait there..... but most come inside to the first wave dropoff.
Pretty soon the small bass will migrate south and IBSP will have hundreds at the first wave drop off, only 20' from shore.
Some big ones are caught on clam and big plugs at night, but the small ones "rats" as the locals say are just perfect for a fly rod and a small streamer.
I have found the outgoing tide is the best by far. Even in daytime sunlight, the rats will smack a small fly and give a wonderful fight on a fly rod. I like to use a 6wt and a small 2" white streamer with sink line and a 3' flouro leader.
It should be super action until the middle of Jan. On your next adventure, please take pix and post them here. A 12" striped bass in the surf is more fun to catch than a 12" trout in a tiny stream!!

Back