Coronavirus and PA Fly fishing

Tmes like these i always go back and watch this classic George Carlin bit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cjRGee5ipM

"Only 200 years of heavy industry vs. an estimated 4.5 billion years of earth's existence, and we have the conceit to think that somehow we are a threat"
I really enjoy a lot of Carlin's humor, but his strong perspective here is arrived at with no knowledge of modern science. We are having an effect, and a significant one. How many more studies have to be published. In other words, his perspective is imo bs from an epistemic perspective.

evw659 wrote:

"Only 200 years of heavy industry vs. an estimated 4.5 billion years of earth's existence, and we have the conceit to think that somehow we are a threat"
I really enjoy a lot of Carlin's humor, but his strong perspective here is arrived at with no knowledge of modern science. We are having an effect, and a significant one. How many more studies have to be published. In other words, his perspective is imo bs from an epistemic perspective.

You are clearly missing the point. George Carlin isn't saying that the planet will remain fine as we know it, but the planet, in general, isn't going anywhere most likely until our sun dies. Sure, everything here as we know it may be screwed but the planet will most likely shrug us and and all life as we know it off like a bad cold and move on......even if life comes to an end the planet will be here for a while. And he is spot on.

I've remained quiet about this issue. Taking precautions is good. But at some point we need to resume life as we know it and keep the basic supply chain moving forward. Otherwise we will put ourselves in much more jeopardy than the virus is causing. Yes, it may lead to a lot of human deaths and suffering but that is part of life. It has happened before and will happen again.

The whole point of social distancing is to push the infection rate forward in order to keep the health care system from going into overload, and buy time for specific medical equipment to be made (ventilators) and time for a working vaccine to be developed.

At least that's my understanding of it all.

You are clearly missing the point. George Carlin isn't saying that the planet will remain fine as we know it, but the planet, in general, isn't going anywhere most likely until our sun dies. Sure, everything here as we know it may be screwed but the planet will most likely shrug us and and all life as we know it off like a bad cold and move on......even if life comes to an end the planet will be here for a while. And he is spot on.

I've remained quiet about this issue. Taking precautions is good. But at some point we need to resume life as we know it and keep the basic supply chain moving forward. Otherwise we will put ourselves in much more jeopardy than the virus is causing. Yes, it may lead to a lot of human deaths and suffering but that is part of life. It has happened before and will happen again

I didnt take that meaning from his bit, I guess I'm not cognizant of his humor and perspective.

I am going to stay 6 posts apart or greater with my responses here.

Steeltrap: Correct.

I have been providing COVID-19 test kits, masks, hand sanitizer, and telehealth (among other things.to medical practices in northeast PA for the last 10 days. It's pretty crazy out there. Having said that, the consensus among doctors is this is the best approach..Also, we were not at all ready for this! So, we have to play catch-up.

Social distancing has the same flaw as autonomous driving: the human factor. It only works as well as the participants who comply. We need to all be on board (looking at you, idiotic Spring Breakers).

Looks like the heavy rains yesterdayblew out the streams all over the state.
And even those of you lucky enough to still be able to fish, won't be getting out for quite a while now

Now we can't fish any stream or lake that have trout stockings. I don't think this applies to private lakes\ponds or streams that are on private property.

Well, more time to tie up flies I guess.

Searching out some creative fisheries managers’ work might help you tame the trout fishing bug when the creeks are high.

I don’t know if there are more of these around the state, but one lake in Berks Co is a stocked trout water open to year around fishing and was stocked much earlier than usual. It is supposed to be stocked just prior to opening day to avoid having many anglers C&R the trout. It is C&R for trout right now, however, probably because of the C-virus scheduling changes that took place in some lakes.

Likewise, there is at least one lake in the state, Tuscarora Lake, that is stocked in the fall and not stocked in the spring. With the limited ice fishing, if any, that took place this past winter, that lake could be C&R fished as well as long as state parks are open. It holds trout well into spring even in yrs when ice fishing has been intense. If you are strongly desiring to fish, but the creeks are too high, an examination of the reg book using strong reading comprehension skills might prove fruitful.

The PFBC finally addressed the basic question as to being able to fish in PA. In the link below many other FAQ's are answered.

May I still fish?

Yes! In Pennsylvania, fishing is a year-round activity with many species of fish to enjoy, including bass, panfish, musky, walleye, catfish, trout in select waters, and many more. Fishing is often a solitary activity and is currently acceptable per the guidelines issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Health if social distancing guidelines are followed.

Link to source: https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/fish-and-Boat-Commission-Details.aspx?newsid=313

That’s what I figured for two reasons... first, the governor’s list of life sustaining industries said hunting, fishing, and trapping and second, the hatchery trucks kept rolling in SE Pa.

Back