Coronavirus and PA Fly fishing

Right! Ignorance and apathy are NOT effective defences against infection.

No toilet paper or sex toys at target................. time for plan B!

Hope everyone on here stays healthy!

joebamboo wrote:
It's the flu, get over it! Just stop watching the media feed the frenzy. This too will pass.

Here's the solution ... someone call Italy & Spain and tell them they're watching too much CNN.

For all of you piling on, perhaps you overlooked the part of my post saying that one should take personal responsibility for their health issues . Is that not the first step in protecting oneself from this virus?

As for taking the flu lightly, perhaps many have forgotten the 2009 Swine Flu Pandemic which killed 575,000 worldwide, 12,000 in the U.S
there was no panic and our medical professionals found the answers in how to deal with it. I have the confidence in them again to find a cure and/or treatment.

So again, address your concerns with this Virus and protect yourselves accordingly.

Toilet paper has not been a proven cure for this disease.

Last sentence is for humor :)

For those who feel the need to attack, if it makes you feel better, have at it.

BTW there is a discussion in Off The Water on this subject as well.

To all stay safe and get out an wet a line!

Joe, so what's it like working as epidemiologist at the CDC?

It's your personal responsibility to take this seriously, why the cognitive dissonance?

Gozu, I tire of your holier than thou and condescending attitude. You obviously cannot have a dialogue without demeaning anyone who may not agree with you.

You have turned this into a personal attack.

Up until now, I have not demeaned nor name called. Sadly you and a couple others see the need to do so. Again, have at it if that makes you feel superior. To me, it shows how little you really are.

There are many discussing this issue in Off The Water, you will have a great time demeaning what they have posted.

Joe, maybe you should stop and consider your dissimal of a global pandemic as an attack against your fellow fishermen and community. No one is acting "holier than thou", we're just embracing what the CDC and WHO are requiring to protect our communities and families when all that's asked of you is precaution and vigilance. Isn't it worth the effort considering what the potential outcome may be? Look to the current situation in Europe to see our potential future, small actions save lives.

Again, no one is calling you names. Feel free to dm me to air your grievances of you like.

Dear friends,

Let's ease down. There's a thread in Off the Water about the pandemic.

We discuss FFing around here and I had hoped this thread would provide an opportunity to discuss how FFing may change (or not change) for us under the current reality.

Dave_W wrote:
Dear friends,

Let's ease down. There's a thread in Off the Water about the pandemic.

We discuss FFing around here and I had hoped this thread would provide an opportunity to discuss how FFing may change (or not change) for us under the current reality.

Thanks Dave I was just going to jump in here too. Everyone needs to dial it back. You may not like what someone else is saying, not agree with their opinion or feel the same way there is no reason to start personal attacks as a result.

Stick to fly fishing and conversations.

How about this. Quit arguing and go check on your neighbors. Make sure the folks at most risk around you have what they need. Be a helper if you believe or not it is still impacting everyone.

Good advice Bruno... I talked to 4 neighbors yesterday and did just that. Two of them are elderly, 80+ and they really appreciated it !

I still plan on getting up to the Jam. .GG

A few minutes ago Gov. Wolf announced that all non-essential travel in PA should cease and that all non-essential businesses should close.

Not being a jerk or trying to stir the pot, asking honestly...Where does driving to go fishing fall here? What does everyone think?

On the one hand, fishing is without a doubt a “non-essential” activity. On the other though, I’m not sure I objectively see much heightened risk from going fishing. Am I missing something obvious? If I get in my car, pack a lunch from my house, and go out into the woods and don’t see another human all day, am I putting myself or others at an increased risk? I suppose having to potentially go to a gas station to buy fuel is the biggest exposure risk.

I’ll probably struggle with this. Working from my house for the indefinite future, the cabin fever will hit bad. I would think, fishing would be a relatively safe endeavor (both for me and others), but I don’t want to think I’m the exception to the rule for no non-essential travel...

Mods - May I humbly suggest that any post than does not include BOTH the CV, and its impact on fishing, be extirpated from this thread?

Swattie87 wrote:
Not being a jerk or trying to stir the pot, asking honestly...Where does driving to go fishing fall here? What does everyone think?

On the one hand, fishing is without a doubt a “non-essential” activity. On the other though, I’m not sure I objectively see much heightened risk from going fishing. Am I missing something obvious? If I get in my car, pack a lunch from my house, and go out into the woods and don’t see another human all day, am I putting myself or others at an increased risk? I suppose having to potentially go to a gas station to buy fuel is the biggest exposure risk.

I’ll probably struggle with this. Working from my house for the indefinite future, the cabin fever will hit bad. I would think, fishing would be a relatively safe endeavor (both for me and others), but I don’t want to think I’m the exception to the rule for no non-essential travel...

What if you have to fish for food to eat?

Regarding fishing for fun, the reason a ban could be necessary is because while exposure on the stream isn't an issue, not everyone is going to think to pack a lunch, be careful getting gas, etc. People remain oblivious - we've had people waltz in that just returned from San Francisco, Las Vegas, people who are dry coughing, people who want us to setup Jabber on their phones and are willing to give us their phones, all the while they are coughing up a storm. They're all probably negative for anything related to coronavirus but no one knows and they aren't taking precautions, like self-quarantine if you've come from a hotspot, or flown, or stay home in general if you are sick.

Swattie, I was out yesterday and will head to the Savage tomorrow as well. It's only about ten minutes away from the house and I will not make any stops. I have enough food for me and the family for a while. Definitely has crossed my mind that I would be better off bringing a few stocker bows home from the river than going to a store, just a thought.

Just something I'm wondering...

I spend a lot of time in motels, campgrounds, etc every year to fish, and I dont think I'm the only person here who does that.

Assuming motels, lodges, campgrounds, etc. are open during April and May, would you continue to do this as you have in years past or would you avoid this and make day trips only, and/or only fish close to home?

Not looking to pass judgement, just wondering.

I have a place near where I fish in april and may so it's a moot point for me. If I didnt, I think I would do day trips only and maybe sleep in my car if things got really good.

Call me paranoid but I have already cancelled vacation plans and decided against renting a cabin in mid April to go fishing.

When I start to think I am overreacting, I read stuff like this:

D-wad #1

D-wad #2

Bottom line, I'm not taking the chance some D-wad who doesn't give a $#!+ slept in my bed before me.

Local beaches are "open for business". Just stay 6ft apart? Once again money fules decisions. If we close them the money dries up and businesses suffer.At my age the wife and I are semi isolated. Pantry is stocked and we will see what happens. I did fish last Sunday and had fresh grouper for dinner.YUM!!!
GG

Back