Bamboo

Gulf still uses greenheart.

A poor craftsman blames his tools. GG

Wulff - guilty as charged. After my first fibreglass starters way back when in the last century (Wright & McGill, then a fabulous SciAng on a Hardy blank), I moved right into an Orvis Flea, then a bunch of other cane, some production, some not.

I ffished the early graphites, but though I loved to cast them, I didn't care for their troutability (or lack thereof). Then I won a raffled graphite stick - an Orvis, which I set down to learn to love. Over the decades, I would average another boo for every half dozen plastics. I was always intrigued by the incessant new generations of graphite. And I always loved the various early borons, solid and hollow. And then there were the modern glasses, especially for light trouting.

But looking over my database (actually a severely tweaked spreadsheet), I notice I put more hours on cane than any other 'substrate'. Except for when I fly, especially since TSA came along. And in a boat, especially with metal gunwales, I steer clear of hollow plastic tubes. Hexagraphs are my go-tos there.

Cane, depending on the taper, provide much more feel during presentation and especially during the play of the trouts. In general, the faster the rod, the higher my percentage of lost trouts.

hp
les

Yes, I fish bamboo very often.

i use bamboo most often,followed by glass and once in a while,graphite.

The last four posts look a lot like Alcoholics Anonymous posts....Bamboo Anonymous...:lol:

My name is Les and I'm addicted to Boo.:p

I fish both bamboo and glass, just depends on my mood and what waters I'm on. haven't fished graphite in years.

On the smaller eastern waters bamboo and glass make sense but out west graphite rods and neoprene waders were the two best things to hit fly fishing since the pursuit began centuries ago.lol

Bamboo is a crutch for people who cannot cast plastic.

Maurice wrote:
I fish all three, Bamboo, Fiberglass and Graphite. IMO you can modify your timing to fit about any flyrod. I switch back and forth between the three and it only takes a few casts to get the timing down to make good casts with any of the three materials.

Maurice wrote:

Plastics I have are my "fast crutches" when I want to slow down the crutch becomes one of the two bamboos I own. They are just purty sticks that feel damn good with a nice fish on.

4-wt-Boo.jpg

Dot

Back