Advice for Penns Creek tomorrow

There are folks all over the spectrum. And, among those that appear to be inconsiderate, only some are. The rest are just out of their element, and at times confused, especially about parking norms.

SBecker wrote:
Hook,

You should just buy a nice chunk of land with a good trout stream on it and post it. That way you would have your own oasis. No complaining then, right? If I was as sour as you are about having people come to chase a hatch in "your home waters", I would.

You should be as lucky that it is mostly PA people coming. I have a crap load of New Jersians and New Yawkers attacking my streams. O, and I have to deal with the parade of rafters who speak no engles.

Would rather deal with fishermen then 500 rafts filled to the brim with people splashing, yelling, dropping garbage, and running me over and explaining that they have no idea how to work this "thing".

Hey it is everybody's water though, I deal with it because it comes with the territory of where I live. Just wish one of the rafts would offer me a beer once and awhile or a boat of bikini's would float by. Not girls of Walmart bikini girls either. Target would be nice.

You know the most common item I find on sand bars on the Big L.....sunglasses. People must just drop them and lose them when chewed up by the rapids. I'm talkin' about 100 pairs seen by now..and, nope, never a good pair of polarized fishing glasses.....

I once found 99 pairs of sunglasses on a single sandbar.

JackM wrote:
But a polar ain't one.

JackM wrote:
Were you trolling when you found them?

I think if you intend to fish one of those "famous" hatches, on an equally " famous " stream, you should realize there are going to be others. So get to the section you intend to fish early. If parking is questionable, have a second area, plan "b" etc. ready. If there is any question as to parking, don't. Imagine coming home from work and some d-bag has YOUR driveway blocked.
I've fished some great hatches on the most well known waters; I've never had an issue with another angler, or a landowner. (That I'm aware of).

One poster here has a tag line that reads" relax, it's fishing..." It's sound advice.
Now the Whitefly on the Breeches... That place is NUTS!

+1 white fly zoo. I'll bet it's been 15 years or more since I've subjected myself to that. I think I'll pass again this year.

One big difference between the white fly hatch on the breeches and the drake hatch on Penns is that the trout on the breeches are catchable anytime a hatch is on. IMO, the white fly hatch doesn't have any more trout feeding than you would find from another good caddis or sulfur hatch.

But on Penns, the drakes bring out a lot of trout from the depths that you normally won't have a good chance to catch otherwise.

Penns is worth the trip. Parking is a problem but on the other side of the tunnel there is more parking along the road, it's just a longer walk. The drake hatch is one of the most spectacular hatches I've ever seen. The amount of fish rising combined with their consistent good size makes for a memorable trip regardless of the crowds.

Back