Advice for Penns Creek tomorrow

7 of us fished Penns on Sunday evening (5/26) in Weikert just above Cherry Run. Plenty of bugs around, but it was only the second or third day after the GD hatch was reported to have started. We must have been just above the area where they were coming off strong because the GD's were not heavy where we were at the time.

I caught a bunch of fish on top using a rusty spinner and coffin fly. Too bad they were all chubs and 9" smallmouth. I managed one 17" brown nymphing a run earlier in the day. I guess we picked the wrong pool to occupy come dusk. A few others in our group caught some smaller trout in the riffles, but no big numbers between the 7 of us.

It was a fun time nonetheless.

Stimey,
That copperhead is a timber rattlesnake.

Cl,

I'm glad to see that it wasn't just me that night. We're you the group at the bottom of the island? I came through, nymphed below you for 15 minutes and went back upstream. I was on the river til 9:30 or middle of the fireworks show as I called it. More fishermen, caddis, stones and olives than drakes. I had a raccoon hanging out with me for a while. That was kind of cool.

My minimal experience with green drakes was a few year's back on Young Womens Creek (pre-stocking) and a class A in that area I won't mention for fear of spot burning accusations. Sporadic drakes were coming off during the day on these streams and the fish actually ate them. It was enjoyable and other than one guy who I talked to on Young Womans I saw no one else fishing there. Two friends and I "crowded" the class A stream.

I think over the same weekend we had some drakes on Kettle but not enough to really get things going.

This thread is making me anxious for the madness to end and, if the weather doesn't get too hot, I'll be back on Penns nymphing the riffles and stalking an occasional riser all in relative solitude. And hopefully not running into any rattlesnakes or amorous raccoons.

Looks like a rattler to me. I did better with stone nymphs in the runs then anything else.

It's not just ratlers you have to worry about on Penns. On Friday evening a black bear came out of the woods right behind me. This happended about 50 yards from the parking lot. The bear was 5' from me. He looked at me, I looked at him, I began backing away into the water and he dashed off. It was really cool to see the bear, but it was a bit too close for comfort.

Had a bear come off White Mt and cross the creek at Cherry Run a couple of years ago. I gave him all the room he wanted.

ok rattlesnake, either way watch where you step! All the rattlesnakes i've seen up at penns were much darker, When I got home I looked up copperhead and many of the pictures of northern copperheads looked similar to this snake. Also it didn't move at all when I almost stepped on it which I read is common for copperheads. But I will take your word for it..... I didnt mess with it to see and its tail was not visable to see rattles

Nice pic Stimey, rattler's have such such a broad range of colors. If I was surprised by this guy, I would definitely make a feminine sound.

Just a side note, my buddy and I were on Penn's Friday night and I was a little surprised it wasn't more crowded. I was expecting a crap-show like the Salmon River, but we had plenty of space. I don't like fishing with people around me, but there was 30 yards between groups of fisherman. The hatch was the experience.

the drakes done goodbye to all of you out of towners well see you later lol. Im sure everyone in our whole area will be glad to see everyone leave people managed to **** the landowner off enough at the walk bridge in Coburn to spray paint a line and put boulders up because no one is smart enough to learn to park. Alot of belly up dead trout floating around and laying on the bottom yep another great tourist green drake season gets better every year.

I guess all of us out of towners are a bunch of Neanderthals. I can tell you that I was there and parked legally and did not **** off any landowners. I hope you never travel anywhere to fish because you are going to be one of those dreaded out of towners.

P.S. I wrote something else, but my wording was changed by someone. It was changed to something that I would never say so I deleted it. It was way too nice.

Troy it wasn't you with the fanny pack, pink shirt and sandals on was it?

No that wasn't me. That guy probably was a tough guy compared to you. I'm not wasting anymore time with you Mr. Penns Creek.

pack away your white lace gloves until next year lol

Hook Jaw next time I am in town I will give you one of my daughters baby wipes to clean off your nose... there is something on it. That was me with the pink sandals and fanny pack... whats it to you?

When we fished the area by Coburn at the JAM, the landowner threatened to put up some boulders to prevent people from parking in the grass... guess he had the stones to do it.

There are no instructions on parking over there... instead of yelling at everybody who parks there put either signs or boulders down... problem solved. I am always respectful to landowners but I have to say there is a degradation in manners between landowners and the public alike but it gets really old when landowners think they are divinity... is divinity a word?

I am pretty certain most folks would follow parking instructions with simple signage. Heard multiple stories over the past couple weeks of people getting reamed out by that guy... mostly nice guys who really try to be courteous. I just don't get it.

Nick that's the whole problem you don't get it. Anyone with any commen sense does get it. That guy is easy to get along with. Ry yeah he not only put boulders up some idiot must of decided to move one and the guy put it behind his tire was waiting around a little to see him back over it.

Haha! I'd like to see Nick in a pink shirt and fanny pack.

Divinity is a word, Nick. The thing is, land owners are sovereign over their property.

Still, at least make the effort to clearly mark your land.

Funny never hear any complaining about the money us out of townes bring in to the area for fly shops, lodging, meals, etc. But I can understand the frustration, it is too bad that common sense isn't always common. That being said, it was my first time to Coburn and I wasn't sure where you could park since the lot was full and there was zero signs. I have to admit the grass did look tempting since there is no house directly by it. I said to myself I wonder if you can park there? Question answered... if you have to ask yourself.... error on the side of NO

Back