2nd Annual Fish N Chips Event

The_Sasquatch wrote:
For as long as I've been FFing, I never fished a trico hatch.
It's really ALOT of fun. Fishing terrestrials are my favorite but the trico's are a close second.. You should give it a try.

Yes tricos are hard to see but nice that they are usually an early morning hatch and you don't need to worry about running out of daylight.

Not that I mind talking about tricos at all but let's get this back on track. Next Friday I'll start listing attendees and what they will be bringing for our event. Please look at your calendar and let me know via PM (no sense posting everything here) if you are definite/tentative and what'd you'd like to bring. As we get closer I'll post a so called final count to make sure everyone brings enough for all.

To give you an idea, last year we had someone bring coffee, donuts and start your day things while others brought picnic type food and supplies.

I am really looking forward to this event again this year as last year's was a blast. Not the best fishing but great weather and fantastic people!

Fox I have to work in the morning, so I'll be up a little later (miss the tricos...)

I just found out that I can't attend.

Will there also be some knot tying help at this event?

I need a small crash course (right b4 or after lunch will be good). Considering I don’t get out as often as I would like I need to learn how to put on two flies (called double rig right?) and a discussion on when to fish that way.

Stag, we'll help you with any questions or brush-ups you need.

Thats good foxy .. AM for fishing ... afternoon for eating, BS'ing, questions and answers, casting, etc ... and I might possibly be hanging afterwards for more fishing depending on weather, time, plans, etc if guys are hanging afterwards.

FYI to any newbies thinking abt this but not sure ... last year was not only a blast but also educational and Stag's highly recommends it. The guys who come out and know what they are doing really do a lot (and enjoy it) to get you on fish and teach you a ton.

Stag, thanks for the recommendation. :)

Newbies, Intermediates and Experts like me (NOT!), all are welcome. If you don't have questions, then you probably have answers for the newbies. They are like sponges and soak up any info we want to share with them. And don't worry about what to bring, as we get more and more confirmed, I'll just start splitting things up. So maybe Volksnurse will be assigned soda and I'll assign water to someone else.

Trust me when I say, you may not catch fish (although we'll do our damnest to get you into some) but you won't go home hungry or without laughing a time or two. I've been known to trip over various things, so my falls are always good for a chuckle.

Looking like Sat's high of 82 low humidity/chance of rain. I'll assume 68 - low 70ish EARLY AM ... good for the Trico hatch???

Looks like a possibility of a T-storm in the evening.

We'll probably get some storms this week too. If the stream is a little off color Saturday, we're living large. Some of my best days fishing tricos have been when the stream has like a foot of visibility. The fish often suspend just under the surface, and they're very visible. Since they're so close to the surface, their cone of vision is very narrow - you can get close without them seeing you, and perfect casts and drag are less of an issue.

Keep your fingers crossed - we might just luck out....

BTW - you already know the knots for adding a dropper to a nymph rig. It'll take like 2 minutes to explain it to you, and I'll have my knot teaching kit along just in case. A clinch knot and a double surgeon's knot is all you need to know.

Here is a suggestion for everybody attending. Bring a few empty containers to take home some of the extra food. Last year we had to throw away alot of food. We need to either take the food with us or maybe someone knows of a soup kitchen or church in the area that would take it.

Heritage-Angler wrote:

BTW - you already know the knots for adding a dropper to a nymph rig. It'll take like 2 minutes to explain it to you, and I'll have my knot teaching kit along just in case. A clinch knot and a double surgeon's knot is all you need to know.

I will be picking your brain on some knots.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Looks like a possibility of a T-storm in the evening.

We'll probably get some storms this week too. If the stream is a little off color Saturday, we're living large. Some of my best days fishing tricos have been when the stream has like a foot of visibility. The fish often suspend just under the surface, and they're very visible. Since they're so close to the surface, their cone of vision is very narrow - you can get close without them seeing you, and perfect casts and drag are less of an issue.

Keep your fingers crossed - we might just luck out....

I was walked by my best friends this morning along the Heritage Stretch and the water is getting very clear.Lots of bugs and fish rising to them in spots.A good rain this week would be great.
I took a good look at some of the water that was surveyed last week and saw very little surface activity,yet from what I saw last week there are plenty of fish lurking there.So if they are not on top they could be feeding down low.Just saying the Trico may not be the only game in town,so bring some tiny nympths or small egg patterns for the lurkers.

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Looking like Sat's high of 82 low humidity/chance of rain. I'll assume 68 - low 70ish EARLY AM ... good for the Trico hatch???

That's about what I saw this morning,low 70's.There were clouds of Trico's over the stream......good for the Trico angler.

Two of us might make it. My wife just had a baby this week so I'm not sure I can get out. Is there a fly shop name or better directions so I could find the meeting place? Sounds like fun. Also, I promise NOT to bring up competition fly fishing...

Feel free Sipe. You will be in a safe place with face to face interaction.

sipe wrote:
Two of us might make it. My wife just had a baby this week so I'm not sure I can get out. Is there a fly shop name or better directions so I could find the meeting place? Sounds like fun. Also, I promise NOT to bring up competition fly fishing...

Here's a link to directions.

There's gonna be several people in attendance that are "involved" in competition fly fishing. You might be surprised. ;-)

My dogs took me for another walk along the LL this morning.Water is dropping to a good flow with a slight murky look to it,by Sat. it should be running at a good flow but clear.Did n't see as many bugs as earlier but they were present.I pretty much decided to start sub surface to try to pick up one of those larger trout I saw during the survey,will switch to surface later on :)

Back