2nd Annual Fish N Chips Event

I think I can make it. I really enjoy these get togethers.

I'm job hunting though so I can't commit to anything.

Yea Dave ... who will man the grill?

I'm officially good unless something comes up un-expectedly. Will be on the look out for any Bigfoot sightings!

since this is called fish and chips, do you plan to eat the fish and throw back the chips ??? If for some reason I'm down visiting family I might be persuaded to visit...might even bring a few Looooooong rods to demo distance cast.

I will plan to attend.

Things will really start heating up on this after the 4th. I'll start collecting names and what they'll bring and publish it each day. Remember this event is open to all PAFF's, their friends and family. Dave and the Mods are all invited guests.

Old Lefty may again join us and give his great casting demo, or some other surprise demo.

Seriously think about joining us. This event was great last year and I have no doubt it will be a hit again this year. This event is simply about having fun and maybe a touch of fishing included. If you learn something, don't blame me!

Fox

I had a great time last year. I would really like to attend this year as long as I don't have any conflicts with the date. Old Lefty and I could carpool again. I will have to talk to Dave.

Just wanted to bump this up and remind everyone about it. After we get past the July 4th weekend I'll start getting a list together of who is coming and what they will be bringing to the event. As we get closer I'll also put an approximate count out there so that everyone has an idea of how much to bring.

Old Lefty has told me he's planning to attend so have your casting questions ready! :-D

The Brush-up day was a blast so I think this 2nd annual will be a great time too. The LL had tricos already coming off and the fish were on them.

I'm going to experiment with tying hi vis size 22 & 24 tricos for this event. I'll bring a bunch and share. Hopefully the Lack doesn't heat up too much so I can experiment on the Lack trout first (or I'll just have to make an extra trip south).

CathyG wrote:
I'm going to experiment with tying hi vis size 22 & 24 tricos for this event. I'll bring a bunch and share. Hopefully the Lack doesn't heat up too much so I can experiment on the Lack trout first (or I'll just have to make an extra trip south).

Cathy, here is the recipe that someone on PAFF (I honestly forget whom but I thank him if he remembers sending me the PM) shared with me and I love it. He called it a CDC Compardun which is essentially what it is. Here is how I tie it.

Size 24 dry fly hook (I only use tiemco for size 22 and below)
Black 8/0 thread
2 White CDC puffs
2 white micro fibbet tails

Tie in the thread at the eye. Match up both puffs and tie in about 1/3 back just where the barbles begin with the butts pointing back toward the bend. Tie with 6 or 7 wraps behind then 6 or 7 in front but all tight against the butts. Wrap the thread back to just above the barb and tie in both fibbets then split them. I use a simple figure 8 with no dubbing but there are a few ways to split tails, so use the one you are comfortable with. Then build a little thread base to create a taper to behind the wing. Dubb a small amount of black dubbing on the thread and then wrap it in front of the wing but tight to the butts to get the wing to stand straight up. Finish the head with just thread and then whip finish. Take the puffs in your fingers and pull straight up and cut off at a point that is as tall as the body is long. You are now done.

I fish these as adults or spinners and have caught a bunch of fish since I started using these. I also tie all of my BWO's 20 and smaller this way too. I'll post a picture later tonight.

I should be there. I have been MIA for awhile now due to baby, more job responsibilities. Heck.....I have not been fishing since mid-april. This will change this week, and I will mark my calendar for the 27th of July.

Above I mentioned my CDC Trico Comparadun pattern. For those interested I just posted a step by step pictorial in the Fly Tying section.

Fox,

I'll try that pattern, looks easy enough.

For as long as I've been FFing, I never fished a trico hatch.

Shame on you.

@The_Sasquatch....you should give it a go...it's a lot of fun actually

I'm all but blind so it's tougher for me to see the fly. It can be pretty intense. The number of fish up feeding on that little stuff will amaze you. The fish can get quite picky. Fun and challenging. Hell, I'll dust off my 3 weight and go.

RE: tricos

Its a love/hate thing with me. When the hatch is on there is no question as to what the trout want. The rises can be exciting to watch.

But I hate that its so hard to follow your fly. But if you have drag you can see that. And if a trout does take the fly you can see that too.

But the flies are hard to see, even parachutes(and yes there are size 24 trico parachutes). At least on the Little Lehigh the creek is small enough you don't have to make long casts so that makes seeing the fly a little easier than it would be on bigger water.

Back