2nd Annual Fish N Chips Event

delta_dog wrote:
We need to find a pic of a fox in a pair of tightly whiteys.

No.....we don't. Troutpoop and I were traumatized for life when Fox ran through camp in them. He needs to buy a bathrobe ASAP.

Stagger - the "benchmark" for the end of the tricos is the first heavy frost. Sometimes as late as November. Hard to say, but typically they're done in October.

The spinnerfall gets later and later as things cool down. I've seen it happen in the afternoon late in the hatch.

Did not realize that HA .. good to know.

Sorry it took me so long to follow up. Had a great time, learned some good info, and everyone was very welcoming.

Lefty, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your patience in teaching me. I know my casting was akin to a caveman attempting to figure out how to operate a motorcycle, and you were incredibly helpful. Thanks!

DJS, thanks again for the ride, and for loaning me your rod for the day. It was much appreciated. Sorry I left my stuff behind and we had to go back.

Kathy, it's great to finally have a fishing buddy! Thank you so much for setting up a fly box for me, can't wait to see it! Sorry our last attempt at a fishing trip was foiled, next time will be better.

My buddy gave me a fly rod and a few flies, so I can actually go by myself now. It is by no means a nice rod, I looked it up and it is like the cheapest model on the market, but it does work. Not much to look at and not great quality, but it was free and gets the job done, so I'm not complaining. It is 8' 6" and is a 5/6 weigt. I believe the line on it is a 5. It is a Cortland Silver Stream. From the research I've done, it is very cheap, but most say it is actually not bad for what it is... an entry-level rod. The reel, from what I hear, is complete crap. It's been working just fine as far as I can tell, but then again, I know next to nothing about fly reels. It is also a Cortland, but it doesn't have anything but the brand name printed on it, so I don't know anything else about it. The friend that gave it to me said it was a very low-quality reel.

I have yet to successfully land, or even hook, a fish on a fly rod, but I will keep at it!

Sean, we'll try to get some fishing in this weekend.

Cheap doesn't always mean bad. Cortland knows how to make fly equipment although I don't know why they put their name on some of the cheapest stuff.

Sometimes just using a better fly line helps.

In the meantime, check out some you tube videos for tips. One in particular that might be helpful is Fly Fishing Made Easy
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LlPCMcf-ho )

Snakeman

Glad I was able to help you out. Just remember to pay it forward in the future.

See you on the water some time.

Dave

I was away last week and I'm just now getting a chance to respond. First off, the credit to the success of this event goes to everyone that attended, PERIOD. All I really did was sit by my computer and organize, which by the way, I enjoyed. The information sharing and just as important the information absorbing was great to see. It never ceases to amaze me how newbies become sponges when around us so called experienced guys. DJS said it best about paying it forward. I think I can speak for Dog, H-A, as well as myself when I say seeing people like DJS, Cathy and JT take newbies under their wing, is about as rewarding as it gets!

So, where I sincerely appreciate all the expressions of thanks on the board, I got all the thanks I needed watching how much you all enjoyed this event. I REALLY and TRULY cannot wait until next year!

Fox

Fox - how was Spain? I too want to add my thanks for a fine and very well organized event.

Back