2017 PAFF Jam: Seven Mountains Campground, 19-21 May

I have some extra tents that other board members can use. I really want to go to the Jam, but like I posted above, mkerr and I are canoeing the Appomattox River southwest of Richmond, VA during the striped bass spawning run up from Lake Chesdin.

We haven't figured out yet when that happens, but we just know that we have to be in southeast Virginia and on the river while it is happening.

It's been a while since I've been on here but still fishing none the less. Despite living 3hrs from Penn State I've never fished the area. I've been wanting to come to the Jam and this year I finally am. I just booked my camp site. I hope to bring two guys with me but if I have to fly solo I will. Hoping some of you kind folks can show me/us around. Looking forward to it!

you will have plenty of people will to show you around!

gonna try and get the boys up this year. grabbed a cabin. might have one extra bed if someone shows up late. bring your umbrella.

I have a cabin booked with JVenezia so far. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again. Everyone was so nice and helpful last year. I may have 3 spots open in the cabin if people are looking to be indoors. I will know for sure by the end of this week and repost when I get word. If you want info just inbox me. I can't wait to fish this year!

Bringing Evan and Elijah this year Mo!

In! Friday through Sunday! Art! Don't say it! I'm trying man! :) Miss all you crazy people.

Boyer

So what does everyone think the Fly of choice will be this year???? Wondering how hatches will be affected by this mild winter we have had?

JVenezia wrote:
So what does everyone think the Fly of choice will be this year???? Wondering how hatches will be affected by this mild winter we have had?

hoppers!!

bikerfish wrote:
JVenezia wrote:

hoppers!!

Now that's planning ahead! :pint:

JVenezia wrote:

In spite of the mild winter, I'd still bet on the old reliable sulphers.

A couple jams we had Green Drakes show up, so I'd have a few of these in your flybox too, but don't count on 'em.

Cicadas here in NZ. I got some and will bring those to try> GG

JVenezia wrote:

Hey Jamie,

I'd be ready with March Browns, sulfurs in size 16-18 and green drakes, oh and caddis of course.

The thing about Penns is no matter what flies you see on the water, they may be eating something else.

Find a chart (feathered hook website or FFP website) pick two weeks before and after and cover the board.

Thanks for reminding me Matt,LOL GG

Sounds like fun! Anyone know if the tent sites are hammock friendly? I'll have to see if this is something I can swing.

FlyGuyGlen wrote:
Sounds like fun! Anyone know if the tent sites are hammock friendly? I'll have to see if this is something I can swing.

There are some trees around some of the tent sites, but not many. I can't imagine they'd object to a hammock with the metal frame however - I seem to recall that some of the RV sites had this sort of hammock. Wouldn't hurt to give 'em a call and ask.

Dave_W wrote:
FlyGuyGlen wrote:

There are some trees around some of the tent sites, but not many. I can't imagine they'd object to a hammock with the metal frame however - I seem to recall that some of the RV sites had this sort of hammock. Wouldn't hurt to give 'em a call and ask.

Yea, it's pretty open. There are some large trees, but not spaced closely.

I lifted this from google maps. Tent sights are behind the small cabins and I think extend to the left. You might get lucky.

Avoid the low areas in the event of rain, or sleep with your wading staff.

link

FarmerDave wrote:

Yea, it's pretty open. There are some large trees, but not spaced closely.

I lifted this from google maps. Tent sights are behind the small cabins and I think extend to the left. You might get lucky.

Avoid the low areas in the event of rain, or sleep with your wading staff.

link

I think I could make that work. I'll give them a call and see what their rules are. Still waiting for the green light from the boss. Apparently thinking of leaving her alone for the weekend with a 2.5 yo and a 5 month old isn't giving me any bonus points.

Promise to call twice a day and come home on the drop of a hat if her need for you outweighs the fun you will be having. If she has any sense of shame, she'll agree.

Back